Godzilla Legends #4: Hedorah vs. Mechagodzilla

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.

Godzilla Legends #4: Hedorah vs. Mechagodzilla

Postby Arbok » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:39 am

Use this topic to discuss Godzilla Legends #4, starring Hedorah, Mechagodzilla and Godzilla.

Here is the review for the issue (summary: simply amazing): http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... nd_04.html

Here is the sneak peek preview of the first seven pages: http://www.tohokingdom.com/news/2012/02 ... eview.html

I'll discuss more details after the issue is out, but suffice to say I was really pleased with this one.
If it bites... don't mess with it!
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Godzilla Legends #4: Hedorah vs. Mechagodzilla

Postby SuperSaiyan4Godzilla » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:46 am

Arbok wrote:Use this topic to discuss Godzilla Legends #4, starring Hedorah, Mechagodzilla and Godzilla.

Here is the review for the issue (summary: simply amazing): http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... nd_04.html

Here is the sneak peek preview of the first seven pages: http://www.tohokingdom.com/news/2012/02 ... eview.html

I'll discuss more details after the issue is out, but suffice to say I was really pleased with this one.

Hey, Anthony, you might want to check those image links again. THe first one goes to the proper picture, and so does the third and seventh. The rest either lead to the third or seventh image.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises,
Nothing shall forestall my return.

Like Toho Kingdom on Facebook!

Join the Facebook Toho Kingdom group!
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla
Super Saurian

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:46 am

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
Hey, Anthony, you might want to check those image links again. THe first one goes to the proper picture, and so does the third and seventh. The rest either lead to the third or seventh image.

This.

But Yeah, Hedorah is #4. And 4 is death. How fitting.

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby Arbok » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:54 am

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:Hey, Anthony, you might want to check those image links again. THe first one goes to the proper picture, and so does the third and seventh. The rest either lead to the third or seventh image.

Oops, coding mishap. It has been fixed now.

And on that note, a personal favorite from the preview selection:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/images/news/ ... re5_lg.jpg
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado

Postby Zilla103192 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:21 am

Arbok wrote:
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:Hey, Anthony, you might want to check those image links again. THe first one goes to the proper picture, and so does the third and seventh. The rest either lead to the third or seventh image.

Oops, coding mishap. It has been fixed now.

And on that note, a personal favorite from the preview selection:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/images/news/ ... re5_lg.jpg

That's really awesome. They made Hedorah creepy.

And the detail is really great, I like how the lights in MGs eyes leave a stream when his head moved in that last panel.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Zilla103192
Freelance Artist

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Rodan

Postby cloverfan98 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:47 am

I may have to break my established rule of not buying any of these comics unless I see them at a used book store both because of the price, and because I like to wait for the graphic novel for this issue. It looks stunning.

cloverfan98
Site Staff

Geiger Counter

Postby Arbok » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:12 pm

zilla103192 wrote:And the detail is really great, I like how the lights in MGs eyes leave a stream when his head moved in that last panel.

The color in general is done very well, especially with beams and working under the rather tricky circumstances of making Mechagodzilla's armor have that sleek sheen look and Hedorah's more slippery lucid appearance.

Anyway, I can't wait to tomorrow when some others have the issue so I can wax a bit more about the great momenta later in the comic. :huge:
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado

Postby SJM925 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:13 pm

NO. I WILL NOT CLICK ON YOUR LINKS OR LOOK AT YOUR PICTURES TILL THURSDAY.

I really wanna, though.....

Here's to hoping this is the best yet!
SJM925
EDF Soldier

GL4

Postby Bentley » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:43 pm

So, what's your veredict on the latest?
Bentley
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla: Legends

Postby Captain Aktion » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Just finished it. I have to say, color me impressed.

Pros: It had some very slick artwork (there's a few wonky bits here and there, but nothing too distracting) and the coloring really, really sold the atmosphere. Kudos there. The fight was very satisfying and had some interesting beats and set-pieces (SPOILER: G and MG firing volleys back and forth through their opponent was pretty cool and a clever use of his malleability), and I just dug the overall feel of the issue. Great classic style plot hit all the buttons for me and kinda made me wish we'd gotten to see Hedorah in the Heisei era.

Cons: Dialogue was a bit workman, nothing great but got the job done. The pilots of MG, while thankfully not annoying, didn't really have much characterization beyond the Captain. It was fine, but they didn't really have much of a voice individually. I honestly thought a few more pages would've alleviated that, but what can y'do? And again, there were a few wonky bits in the artwork, but nothing that looked rough.

Would definitely like to see more from this team, together or individually. Thanks Chris, E.J., and the rest of the team. IF not a homerun, a solid left-field drive.
"If this is your God, you have a serious ontological crisis."

http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

Captain Aktion
E.S.P.Spy

Geiger Counter

Re: Godzilla: Legends

Postby Gojisan866 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Let me say, I LOVED the art in this one, and that shot of Hedorah's eye on the last page was really freaky. Another great one was that shot of Mechagodzilla landing, that we saw before. I have high hopes for the next and final issue of it, 'cause from that sketch page, the art looks pretty good on that one, as well as the story seems quite interesting.
I'm back? I guess. Haven't posted here in a loooooong time.
Gojisan866
Interpol Agent

Postby Arbok » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:29 pm

Spoilers post:

Like Captain Aktion, I also enjoyed the fight and thought it was very creative as well. The beams being shot through Hedorah at Godzilla and Mechagodzilla was a great concept. I also personally loved it when Godzilla ripped Hedorah's eye out, only for the Smog Monster to try to smother the King of the Monsters and absorb the eye back into itself.

Still waiting for TG's thoughts on this one too.
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado

Postby Eunectes » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Amazing. I guess SpaceGodzilla arrives next and I can't wait!

Spoilers:

I'm just a bit saddened that humans had to save Godzilla from Hedorah...

Eunectes
Transcendent Eva Pilot

Geiger Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla

Postby Arbok » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:44 am

SpaceGodzilla? Did a miss something for the Kumonga issue next month?

Anyway, if anyone should be giving Godzilla a hard time, it's probably Hedorah:

Godzilla vs. Hedorah - Took having the electrodes nearby to beat him
Godzilla Island - After the death of Mothra, it took both Godzilla and Mothra Leo to bring Hedorah down
Godzilla Final Wars - Godzilla effortlessly beat Hedorah...

So quite a change in his movie/tv roles there thanks to GFW, but this one was clearly based on the Showa incarnation. In fact, both Hedorah (Showa) and Mechagodzilla (Heisei) are arguably some of Godzilla's most overpowering foes, so the issue struck the right tone with that I felt.
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado

Postby Terrier » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:51 am

There is a police box in the second page, in wich Mechagodzilla lands. I wonder if it is a reference to something.

Terrier
G-Grasper

Geiger Counter

Postby Darkness » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Alright, so far, I think this is the best Godzilla comic IDW has released so far. As much as I LOVED Legends #1, I'm going to have to tip the hat slightly in favor of this one. The artwork blew me away from beginning to finish and even the inside of MechaGodzilla looked like it was based on its appearance in the movie as well as the uniforms for the pilots, which I loved. There were also some great references in here, such as when one of the crew members mentions how at least Godzilla doesn't fly as well as Godzilla tearing out one of Hedorah's eyes.

There isn't too much to the comic plot wise, but there really doesn't need to be, the reader can pretty much put together whats going on from what they are given and I feel that is enough. I was also very glad to see Hedorah done justice for once. He doesn't seem to get much credit, despite being one of the most powerful Godzilla enemies, and I love how he is able to keep both Godzilla AND MechaGodzilla on the ropes. And as my final comment, I was very pleased with the way Hedorah was defeated. It was different from the typical method that we associate with defeating him, but it works... temporarily at least...

Overall, great comic. I'd love to see this team work on another Godzilla comic in the future.
Darkness
Interpol Agent

Postby kaiju115 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:39 pm

Has anyone ever noticed in that page where Godzilla leaves, there's a kitten among all the debris? It kinda reminds of that scene in Godzilla vs Hedorah, when we see a cat at the club covered in sludge, poor kitty.
kaiju115
G-Grasper

Postby Arbok » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Terrier wrote:There is a police box in the second page, in wich Mechagodzilla lands. I wonder if it is a reference to something.

Dr. Who nod? IDW does those comics too.

Darkness wrote:Overall, great comic. I'd love to see this team work on another Godzilla comic in the future.

Concur with that all the way.

kaiju115 wrote:Has anyone ever noticed in that page where Godzilla leaves, there's a kitten among all the debris? It kinda reminds of that scene in Godzilla vs Hedorah, when we see a cat at the club covered in sludge, poor kitty.

From what I have gathered from Chris Mowry, he is a huge Godzilla fan (probably the biggest at IDW), so you can just about bet that was an intentional nod.
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado

Postby Terrier » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:49 am

Arbok wrote:
Terrier wrote:There is a police box in the second page, in wich Mechagodzilla lands. I wonder if it is a reference to something.

Dr. Who nod? IDW does those comics too.

There is a crossover called Infestation 2 that will involve many of IDW licenses... except Doctor Who and Godzilla... It makes me wonder about the possibility of a Doctor/Godzilla crossover...

And between the cat (Who survived!), the line "At least Godzilla doesn't fly", and Godzilla trying to rip out one of Hedorah's eyes (Among other things I may be forgeting), this issue really felt like a homage to "Godzilla vs. Hedorah".

Terrier
G-Grasper

Geiger Counter

Postby GreenScar » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 am

A fantastic book all around. True that the story didn't have a lot of meat on it's bones but it was still satisfying. Have to say this one ties with Legends: #1 as far as best Goji comics from IDW goes. Now if only the people working on the running series can learn from this, it may just have a shot at being epic.
:g2k: End of line.......
GreenScar
Yin-Yang Master

Next

Return to Toho Comics, Books, Posters, Misc