Maybe I'm getting old (early 30s), but I am a little dismayed at the large number of people who are saying they think the likes of GFW
Gigan and GMK
Ghidorah are the "best" incarnations. To each their own/everyone has the right to their opinion/blah blah blah...now that we have that obligatory PC nonsense out of the way....GFW
Gigan couldn't wear the jockstrap to the showa version...and this is coming from someone who likes GFW
. GFW Gigan isn't terrible, but it doesn't even come close to capturing the beauty and uniqueness of the original suit; instead, it looks more like a cheap, Ultraman/Power Rangers monster you'd see on TV. Also, the showa Gigan gave Godzilla one of his toughest battles, and was one of the few kaiju to make Godzilla bleed. The GFW
Gigan, on the other hand, was basically Godzilla's little bitch.
But it's GMK
Ghidorah really brings my piss to a boil
I get so angry even thinking about this thing, which I refer to as KINO (KG in name only). Basically, they took what *was* Godzilla's arch enemy and most powerful foe and bascially turned him into a short, fat, p*ssified runt. And spare me the "oh, I thought his role as hero was neat and a nice change!" or "You just couldn't accept him in a different role other than as the villian" nonsense I have heard a million times before from people who laughably try to defend/praise this thing...my abhorrence of KINO goes far beyond the fact he was in the "hero's role" (Mecha-KG played the hero's role in GvsKG, and I love Mecha-KG
). Hero or villian, I thought watering him down, shrinking him in size, and making him extremely weak and pathetic was deplorable and an outrage. It would be like a Spiderman comic and turning Venom into a midget and a vegan. Even more distressing is that TOHO seems intent on making this thing their preferred image of KG (hence look how they forced IDW's Zornow to change his Showa KG cover to the GMK version).
Anyways, now that I've gotten that off my chest:Gigan
- Showa Gigan 72 version. I like the 73 version too. GFW Gigan...couldn't really care one way or another...it's just "so-so".King Ghidorah
1. Showa King Ghidorah
- The *real*, true version of King Ghidorah. He was one of the few opponents that Godzilla needed help from various allies (Rodan, Mothra, Angilas, Gorosaurus, etc.) to defeat him. Sadly, I have lost any hope that we will ever see this type of incarnation of KG ever again
2. Keizer Ghidorah
- I know some will cry foul and blasphemy, but please hear me out. I want to make it very clear, I *hate* this suit and design big time. Hate it hate it hate it. I also do not like the changing of the roars (although at least they sounded different/unique and not just like a variation of Rodan's roar). However, it's the only
version of KG since the showa era that treated KG as he should be...which is as Godzilla's ultimate enemy and arch rival. Bottomline, terrible suit and look, but great job in capturing what KG is/should be.
3. Grand King Ghidorah and Heisei KG
- I use to be a Grand KG fan because...well, quite frankly, because I owned the wonderful Bandai GKG figure
I owned the figure before I ever saw the film, and I thought "Now this is the KG design we *should* have gotten in the newer G films. Eventually, I saw Mothra 3
Heisei KG was a wonderful design and fitting update to KG...but sadly, he didn't really put up much of a fight and was defeated rather easily by Godzilla. Also, he looked *very* stiff when flying, especially in the scenes where he battles the jets. His roars were just high pitch versions of Rodan, and what the hell was up with the awful Dorats?
Overall, both these suits look fantastic on paper and in figure form, but one screen they were somewhat of a let down. If we could just take the heisei suit and give it the power of Keizer KG, then perhaps we would have a worthy incarnation of KG.
-100,000,000,000,000,000. GMK Ghidorah