Zilla in other Godzilla movies?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Re: Zilla in other Godzilla movies?

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Hollywood, seeing the reception Zilla received, would be cautious about repeating that experience.
edgaguirus
EDF Soldier

Postby Shadow » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:11 am

One word: NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Half as long, twice as bright.
ImageImage
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Shadow
Mothras Lover

Geiger Counter

Team: Rogue Titan Squad
Favourite Kaiju: Mechagodzilla 1974

Postby Cimmerian Dragon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:06 am

^ Just remember, liking the idea doesn't mean anyone thinks it's likely to happen.

And actually, aren't there quite a few of us around here that have consistently maintained some appreciation for Zilla while not liking his film?
NUMQUAM OBLIVISCEMUR MICHAELIS CRICHTONIS

LYMPHOMANIAC
Cimmerian Dragon
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Destroyer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:47 am

Zilla is a good monster, just not the film he was in.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Owner of http://destroyers-editorialsandreviews.blogspot.com/
Destroyer
Futurian

Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla, Rodan, and Vakishim

Postby hammysammy59 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:57 am

Yeah, like Varan.
Haters gonna hate
hammysammy59
JXSDF Technician

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Zilla is dead an needs to stay that way.... There is no reason to even remotely bring the character back... It isn't invincible, it has no real special powers, an it eat's fish...

Even if Toho brought the monster back an fought any other monster in the Godzilla franchise besides big-G himself he's still get his ass handed to him within a few minutes. Wouldn't even be worth making a movie over....

He'd fit quite well in a Jurassic park sequel since there talking about further genetic tampering.... But Zilla just doesn't fit in the Godzilla Universe.
XxComablack1937xX
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SuperSaiyan4Godzilla » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:^ Just remember, liking the idea doesn't mean anyone thinks it's likely to happen.

And actually, aren't there quite a few of us around here that have consistently maintained some appreciation for Zilla while not liking his film?

A brilliant example here here:

I like the idea of having sex. However, due to my lack of having a female friend that is available or attractive, I don't see it happening. And if I wondered to have sex with a guy, I would have gone to theater school. It would have been easier.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises,
Nothing shall forestall my return.

Like Toho Kingdom on Facebook!

Join the Facebook Toho Kingdom group!
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla
Super Saurian

Postby NSZ » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:14 pm

XxComablack1937xX wrote:But Zilla just doesn't fit in the Godzilla Universe.

... Oh good lord, I'm about to defend Zilla... this is gonna be one of those skreeonking weeks, isn'it?

What is Zilla? An innocent animal, in this case a Green Iguana, turned into a misshapen monster by man's reckless wishing for its very own self-destruction, also known as a nuke in some districts. It had no chance of leading the life its forerunners did. It became too tall, too strong, and too heavy, ironically no longer having a place in the very world that made it.

Like hell it don't belong!

There is no quota to be met when being a giant monster in the Godzilla Universe. You don't have to be invincible (Yog trio), you don't need special powers (Rodan, Manda, Kamacuras, Anguirus, Kumonga, Ookondoru, Oodako, Ebirah), and you sure as hell don't need to subscribe to a certain skreeonking diet.

Ugh, I'm going to bed. Defending Zilla is just bound to give me some more freaky as hell nightmares.
I'm a reasonable guy, I've just experienced some unreasonable things.

nani sore wrote:If I can't tell the difference between a baby and a muffin I eat the skreeonking BABY

NSZ
Dragon Slayer

Geiger Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Trespasser

Postby Cimmerian Dragon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:39 pm

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
Cimmerian Dragon wrote:^ Just remember, liking the idea doesn't mean anyone thinks it's likely to happen.

A brilliant example here here:

I like the idea of having sex. However, due to my lack of having a female friend that is available or attractive, I don't see it happening. And if I wondered to have sex with a guy, I would have gone to theater school. It would have been easier.

Before I decided I was going to work on my master's in literature, I got my first degree in theatre. I might've thought you were engaging in unfair profiling before that...but it was honestly astounding how many of my classmates were self-proclaimed homosexuals. I literally took a class with seven other students, and the only other person who wasn't gay was the woman. That may or may not be the norm, but damn if it wasn't an interesting experience.

NSZ wrote:What is Zilla? An innocent animal, in this case a Green Iguana, turned into a misshapen monster by man's reckless wishing for its very own self-destruction, also known as a nuke in some districts. It had no chance of leading the life its forerunners did. It became too tall, too strong, and too heavy, ironically no longer having a place in the very world that made it.

There is no quota to be met when being a giant monster in the Godzilla Universe.

I think you're right on the money, NSZ. Part of the series' charm is the sheer quantity and variety of creatures it can accommodate. As long as Toho has a copyright icon for it, any kaiju is welcome in my book.
NUMQUAM OBLIVISCEMUR MICHAELIS CRICHTONIS

LYMPHOMANIAC
Cimmerian Dragon
E.S.P.Spy

Postby milo bloom » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:42 pm

NSZ wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:But Zilla just doesn't fit in the Godzilla Universe.

... Oh good lord, I'm about to defend Zilla... this is gonna be one of those skreeonk weeks, isn'it?

What is Zilla? An innocent animal, in this case a Green Iguana, turned into a misshapen monster by man's reckless wishing for its very own self-destruction, also known as a nuke in some districts. It had no chance of leading the life its forerunners did. It became too tall, too strong, and too heavy, ironically no longer having a place in the very world that made it.

There is no quota to be met when being a giant monster in the Godzilla Universe. You don't have to be invincible (Yog trio), you don't need special powers (Rodan, Manda, Kamacuras, Anguirus, Kumonga, Ookondoru, Oodako, Ebirah), and you sure as hell don't need to subscribe to a certain skreeonk diet.

Ugh, I'm going to bed. Defending Zilla is just bound to give me some more freaky as hell nightmares.

Wonderfully put, that made me like Zilla even more than I did and strengthened my belief that she should get another shot at a movie.
milo bloom
Samurai

Postby edgaguirus » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:03 pm

I also don't see him in any American films in the near future.
edgaguirus
EDF Soldier

Postby Goji » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:25 pm

edgaguirus wrote:In a better solo film, Zilla's return might work.

No, it wouldn't. What makes you think that would ever be a good idea?
Goji
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HayesAJones » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:11 pm

I could see him in a role similar to Zedus, the fabled 'first foe' of a young/new monster.
ImageImageImage Image
Avid G-fan, MSTie & brony, as well as animated & monster movie buff and resident Sneasel maniac.
Check out TITAN WORLD: http://hayesajones.deviantart.com/gallery/43527328, my in-progress kaiju story!
HayesAJones
The Sharp Claw Member

Team: Team Sneasel
Favourite Kaiju: Anguirus

Postby Destroyer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:47 am

I think it would be hilarious if Zilla got a part two.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Owner of http://destroyers-editorialsandreviews.blogspot.com/
Destroyer
Futurian

Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla, Rodan, and Vakishim

Postby Living Corpse » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:58 am

No it wouldn't.

A role in a game maybe, a film NO.

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby GodzillaRangerPrime » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:08 pm

I think people are letting their extreme hate of Zilla get in the way of how interesting another appearance of him in a Godzilla film would be.
GodzillaRangerPrime
Interpol Agent

Postby tymon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:44 pm

^It would only be "interesting" if you're a fan of the character, which a lot of people here aren't. I like GINO as a monster, and wouldn't mind seeing him in a film again, but I'm also pretty certain it's never gonna happen. There are far better monsters that deserve screentime anyhow.
tymon
True Detective

Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla 2000

Postby Goji » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:28 pm

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:I think people are letting their extreme hate of Zilla get in the way of how interesting another appearance of him in a Godzilla film would be.

I don't think that applies here at all, actually.

I actually like the character, but Zilla will never, ever be in another starring role. Period.
Goji
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:32 pm

^ ...Which is probably best.
TK's resident tardy moviegoer.
Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby TokyoVigilante » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:41 pm

There are so many more visually interesting and classic monsters who could easily fit the roll he would fill up. "We decided against the reptilian flying squirrel, the toad/bulldog, the beloved armadillo lizard to bring back a the bland looking iguanasaurus that was supposed to replace its co-star".

What? why? There's literally no positive creative decision behind bringing back GINO that you couldn't do better with either a respectful revamp or just general return from another and better kaiju.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury
TokyoVigilante
EDF Soldier

Postby Rody » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:50 pm

^ You forgot the "big birdie".
TK's resident tardy moviegoer.
Rody
E.S.P.Spy

PreviousNext

Return to General Toho Films