Zilla in other Godzilla movies?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Re: Zilla in other Godzilla movies?

Postby tymon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:44 pm

^It would only be "interesting" if you're a fan of the character, which a lot of people here aren't. I like GINO as a monster, and wouldn't mind seeing him in a film again, but I'm also pretty certain it's never gonna happen. There are far better monsters that deserve screentime anyhow.
And like a lot of dreams...there's a monster at the end of it
tymon
True Detective

Postby Goji » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:28 pm

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:I think people are letting their extreme hate of Zilla get in the way of how interesting another appearance of him in a Godzilla film would be.

I don't think that applies here at all, actually.

I actually like the character, but Zilla will never, ever be in another starring role. Period.
Goji
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:32 pm

^ ...Which is probably best.
Godzilla 2014 --- HERE IT COMES!!!
Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby TokyoVigilante » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:41 pm

There are so many more visually interesting and classic monsters who could easily fit the roll he would fill up. "We decided against the reptilian flying squirrel, the toad/bulldog, the beloved armadillo lizard to bring back a the bland looking iguanasaurus that was supposed to replace its co-star".

What? why? There's literally no positive creative decision behind bringing back GINO that you couldn't do better with either a respectful revamp or just general return from another and better kaiju.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury
TokyoVigilante
EDF Soldier

Postby Rody » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:50 pm

^ You forgot the "big birdie".
Godzilla 2014 --- HERE IT COMES!!!
Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Zilla/GINO seem to earn a cult flowing in the past few years. I guess to the nostalgia that people had with GINO could be the thing?
Hellspawn28
Seatopian Demigod

Postby Living Corpse /tb/ » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:22 pm

I think it's pretty clear at this point he won't show up in anything except MAYBE in a video game or two and even then only as an unlockable JOKE CHARACTER.

Saansilt wrote:Well, that kinda blew up in my face.

Living Corpse /tb/
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby Cimmerian Dragon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:26 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Zilla/GINO seem to earn a cult flowing in the past few years. I guess to the nostalgia that people had with GINO could be the thing?

God...it's disturbing that GINO came out so long ago that people could be nostalgic for it. Makes one feel like an old bastard. :lol:

Anyway, I know that's not it in my case. I just plain like the design and the character. No, it's not Godzilla. Yes, I was (and still am) pissed of that Tri-Star totally skreeonk as far as adapting the character of the "real" Godzilla. Yes, I agree that G'98 was generally a letdown as a film. That doesn't mean that I can't like "Zilla" as a distinct creature, right?
NUMQUAM OBLIVISCEMUR MICHAELIS CRICHTONIS

LYMPHOMANIAC
Cimmerian Dragon
E.S.P.Spy

Postby JKN » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:17 am

Each time a Godzilla film opens, Godzilla will take a detour to Kill a nest of Zilla's before meeting up with Rodan for a bro fist.
Honestly I rather they make any Zilla more like his animated counter-part
-I must be like the only sane person who liked Zilla
JKN
Yojimbo

Postby CatfaceFourtoes » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:40 pm

I think it would be interesting to say the least. People in the film could actually call the thing GINO and ridicule others for mistaking it for Godzilla. Maybe it could be an expanded gag with more humans running across Zilla and not just mistaking it for Godzilla, but other reptilian monsters, which would then appear and proceed to wreck stuff in a way that the "noobs" are not prepared for. Before that happens though, I'd rather see the stable of critters from Ultra Q get entered into the continuity, if there is any new blood to be added. Heck, I enjoy the concept of Krystalak and Obsidious being creatures made of nonliving materials, like Hedorah, and having a connection to Spacegodzilla. If it is so iffy for those freaks to be put into the continuity, I can see why Zilla would have a hard time.

A possible positive side to allowing GINO to be a regular would be the expansion of the monster roster with all the unique mutants they came up with on the animated series, not to mention a version of GINO with actual powers.

I think this would work better in a video game though. Something open-world, with playable characters being human and caught up in trying to defend areas against marauding monsters.
CatfaceFourtoes
Yin-Yang Master

Postby shadowgigan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Only if they could find a cool, interesting way to use him.
SG, resident TK lurker for years upon years upon years.
shadowgigan
Ronin

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Maybe a cameo appearance, but no big roles for Zilla. Zilla's more likely to appear in a video game or an animated feature seperate from the Japanese films.
edgaguirus
EDF Soldier

Previous

Return to General Toho Films