Monster Discussion #8: Meganulon (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #8: Meganulon (Showa)

Post by JVM »

So I figured I'd finally continue after a brief break from the boards outside the Toys section.

I couldn't find a pic, so here's the one on the main site linked

I completely skipped the little Meganulon, sadly.

Mothra's thread was put up by Mike, so you can go see it there. I'll count it as #9, and resume with #10, Maguma tonight, to make up for taking so long.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #8: Meganulon (Showa)

Post by HayesAJones »

They played their role well in Rodan. Monsters who feed the greater monster.

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

Like a Horta, only meaner.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They created a good start for Rodan. They could easily have starred in a horror film of their own. The slashing of miners and strange warble as the miner tries to call for help were masterful in creating tension and fear. The big reveal works well, too.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

NSZ said: Terrifying, nightmarish brutes. God, if THEM! was any indicator, these guys could have had their own movie.

The Meganulon made Rodan one of the few films where they were a distraction to the real monster, running their little horror-fest side show!
As NSZ said... terrifying, nightmarish brutes is an apt description of them.
The Horror movie element these creatures brought to Rodan and the confusion and destruction they caused on humans was incredibly well done.

Yes there were certain scenes with them in it that weren't all that well done. But those are pretty moot to the fantastic use of its shadowed stalking and terrorizing of the Mining community.
Certainly one of the most under appreciated Monsters.

I too think the Meganulon could have held their own film. Though it would be a tough pull for them to match "THEM!" which is probably one of the best done 50's horror/mutant Monster flicks EVER!!!!!
But I am sure a well done film could have given "THEM!" a run for their money!

Cya
G7

Mulder
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mulder »

They could've really have made a movie about them and just them.

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

Those beasts are indestructible! Only thing that can kill them are mine carts and Rodans!
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

It is not.
How can you even say that it is boring?
It was a pretty scary sub-monster for the time and did an excellent job of distracting from the coming threat.
Sure some of the scenes of it didn't look great... but there were others (such as when it it moving away in mining village in the Japanese version) where it looked amazing.
If your not going to explain why it is boring... why post?

G7

Mulder
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mulder »

Guardian7 wrote:It is not.
How can you even say that it is boring?
It was a pretty scary sub-monster for the time and did an excellent job of distracting from the coming threat.
Sure some of the scenes of it didn't look great... but there were others (such as when it it moving away in mining village in the Japanese version) where it looked amazing.
If your not going to explain why it is boring... why post?

G7
Was just about to say that.

Chimpbot
Ronin

Post by Chimpbot »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:A terribly boring lot of monsters.
Considering Rodan was released in '56, these guys were about as technologically advanced as you could hope to get; of course the execution is lacking by today's standards.

Honestly, the only thing that really annoys me about them is the damn noise they make. It's high-pitched, it never ends and I really just want to punch out my eardrums with a screwdriver halfway through their scenes.
Whoever thought that sound was a good idea was wrong. Very, very wrong.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I loved them, though they really should have gotten their own movie. But, needless to say, I'm still happy. :)
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

pta917
Xilien Halfling

Meganolun armor

Post by pta917 »

How strong is Meganolun's armor???
Davros wrote:This is my ultimate victory, Doctor! The destruction of REALITY ITSELF!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Meganolun armor

Post by Rody »

It's Meganulon, FYI.

obviously, it's very strong. A Meganulon was capable of withstanding heavy machine gun fire, as well as the full force of a loaded coal rack.

pta917
Xilien Halfling

Post by pta917 »

SpanishBulldog63 wrote:Watch the movie and find out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvsjr0O53l0
Thanks
Davros wrote:This is my ultimate victory, Doctor! The destruction of REALITY ITSELF!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Are you sure you wanted to post that here? Apparently Toho does watch this site.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Tyler wrote:Scariest Toho monster ever.
Yeah, they freaked me at as a kid as well... not Hedorah level freak out, but are one of the scarier monsters Toho has created. The film does a really good job of building the mystery of the monsters and their attacks, and quite frankly the scene where the people are dragged underwater and killed, forcing the remaining miner to cut the rope and run, is pretty damn terrifying in terms of concept.

The Millennium versions did a decent job of still showing them as menacing, but the mystery was lacking that made the build up to their reveal in the original Rodan so memorable.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, it's definitely a mixture of the mystery, the claustrophobia of the mines, and those creepy noises that make the maganulon so tremendously creepy, for me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Much as I love the '56 Rodan's design, I actually like the Meganulons' part of the movie better. Rodan works better as a co-star alongside other kaiju, while these things could easily have carried the whole movie themselves. They were very unnerving, and the movie did an excellent job of selling them as a terrifying threat for the miners and village. The execution of the props might've been better, but the atmosphere and everything works so well that you don't even care. It's sad how overlooked and easily-forgotten these guys are.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

JAGzilla wrote:It's sad how overlooked and easily-forgotten these guys are.
I don't know if I would say overlooked. They might not have a lot of merchandise, but clearly someone at Toho loved them enough to base a headlining Godzilla villain around them in 2000.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Judging from responses here, they're not overlooked by fans. They're not city destroying giants, which may be why Toho has only used them twice, but they are effective creature on their own.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.