Weapons Talkback: Moonlight SY-3, Kilaak UFO, Fire Dragon

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Weapons Talkback: Moonlight SY-3, Kilaak UFO, Fire Dragon

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:33 pm

Pretty cool, I guess. I find it weird they would arm a space shuttle with weapons.

Meh.

Fire Dragon was pretty cool, I was let down though that it wasn't an actual monster made out of flames. That would have been a pretty cool twist, King Ghidorah is taken down only for a new monster to attack.

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Re: Weapons Talkback: Moonlight SY-3, Kilaak UFO, Fire Drago

Postby Tohosaurus » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:01 pm

I agree that the SY-3's inclusion of weaponry is a little odd, although since humanity is apparently quite advanced by 1999 in this universe it may have more the role of a multi-purpose craft. The Kilaak UFO is bland but fits the bill for what people thought of alien craft at the time, so criticizing it too harshly is probably being unfair. I think I may be biased against the Fire Dragon because it has always been an anti-climactic, disappointing aspect of the film.
고질라

한국. 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren
Tohosaurus
EDF Soldier

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:46 pm

Funny this pops up because I just finished watching the Japanese version of Destroy All Monsters for the first time.

The SY-3 is as cool as the Gotengo for me, especially when hooked up with those big boosters. I like how the Kilaak ships are illuminated from the inside, they almost have an organic look to them. The Fire Dragon is very misleading, but it does make sense their ships can flame on like that sense they need fire to survive.
RIP Lord Richard Attenborough
RIP Robin Williams

Tyler
Anung Un Rama

Geiger Counter

Team: BPRD
Favourite Kaiju: Rodan

Postby edgaguirus » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:59 pm

The SY3 was an interesting craft. We don't have space planes yet, but they are a real possibility given time. It fit the theme that the crew were more space commandos than astronauts.

The fire dragon should have stayed on fire. As a blazing fireball, it felt more dangerous and menacing.
edgaguirus
EDF Soldier

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:12 am

edgaguirus wrote:
The fire dragon should have been a real new monster made out of fire, it would have felt more dangerous and menacing.

FIXED. :mrgreen:

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby Cimmerian Dragon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:46 am

Tyler wrote:Funny this pops up because I just finished watching the Japanese version of Destroy All Monsters for the first time.

The SY-3 is as cool as the Gotengo for me, especially when hooked up with those big boosters. I like how the Kilaak ships are illuminated from the inside, they almost have an organic look to them. The Fire Dragon is very misleading, but it does make sense their ships can flame on like that sense they need fire to survive.

Ditto. I really love the hardware in DAM. I would beat a blind, orphan, nun with a tire-iron for an accurate Moonlight SY-3 scale model.
NUMQUAM OBLIVISCEMUR MICHAELIS CRICHTONIS

LYMPHOMANIAC
Cimmerian Dragon
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Kubo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:03 am

Meh...I'm not a fan of the Kilaakian ships, but the Fire Dragon is pretty interesting. The anti-climatic appearance brought it down for me though. The moonlight SY-3 is pretty memorable. Plus Akira Kubo was the pilot. That makes any other argument invalid. ^_^
King Caesar: R.I.P. (2010-2014)

Kubo
11'o Clock Cowboy

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Team: Imagination Emissaries

Postby FlamingZilla23 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:50 pm

the second pic looks like a jellyfish.
Proud member of Toho Kingdom since 2011
FlamingZilla23
Interpol Agent