Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

Post by Rody »

Legion1979 wrote: Yeah, it was supposed to go at the beginning of the film during the training montage. The G-Force crew suddenly found themselves fighting Ghidora and Mothra (via stock footage). Haven't seen it in a while but I think Aoki is fooled into thinking this is an actual battle and is embarrassed when he discovered it was just a training exercise.
Sadly, the VHS didn't give subtitles for these scenes, so I had no idea what was going on.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Probably my least favorite Mechagodzilla design. The concept arts for him are a million times cooler than the actual design they used. :|

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

MG-'93, while not the most striking of the various Meha-G's Toho created, is still quite nice. The original, one has to remember, was built as a weapon of mass destruction, and with its sharp angular edges. Creates quite an imposing figure. The UNGCC model, is a product of the nineties. Its more utilitarian design looks like the majority of the vehicles of the time, as opposed to the muscle car the original was. But MG-'93 does get the job done. It gave the Big-G quite a fight in its first meeting, and damn near did the King of the Monsters in the climatic confrontation. Not mention laid out Rodan quite nicely. It also took the Super-X II's numero uno weapon, the Fire Mirror, to the next level with the Plasma Grenade. And used it to deal out some major punishment. Hell, the MG-'93, when in combat, although used the beams a lot, rained HELL on the Big-G. Especially, when hooked up to Garuda to form Super-Mechagodzilla.

One of the bones of contention with the fans about the UN-MechaG is it being prone to mechanical difficulties. I actually liked this, and made the mecha more realistic with it breaking down at crucial moments. Its MegaBuster unable to fire due to overheating during combat. Likewise its lack of physical combat abilities, it was unable to fight off Rodan to prevent the winged menace from pecking one of its eyes to nonfunctioning status. The original in its initial outing suffered from a bit of a breakdown after its first battle with the Big-G. Kiryu, with its mood swings due to it's DNA computers, finite power supply, and getting damaged in combat. Although, as I remember, Godzilla wasn't giving Kiryu much room to fight back in their second encounter.

While some here may be a bit put out that it was a little far fetched that UN-Mechagodzilla was developed through the reverse engineering of tech salvaged from the future tech from Mecha-King Ghidorah. It should be noted that it was mentioned by Colonel Gondo in Godzilla Vs. Biollante that Godzilla Countermeasures Center was doing some extensive research into robotics. So with the introduction of MKG's tech to the research being done in the field, and it probably gave the robotics section quite a boost in their research.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

So out of all the concept art done for Heisei MG, what design do you think you would of prefered over this one?

I like this one alot.

http://tohokingdom.com/concept_art/gvsm ... la_05.html

it's very reminiscent of the Showa MG, but it gives it an updated look.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I love that one as well. I really wish they had used that design instead.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

If I was going to bring back a Mechagodzilla controlled by invaders, I would diffidently use the one Zilla' posted. But, for a United Nations built super-weapon, I would pick this monstrosity; http://tohokingdom.com/concept_art/gvsm ... la_01.html ditch the red colour scheme for a darker matte chrome. It isn't like heisei monsters physically brawled anyway and it looks built to have "all its eggs in one basket" in a way.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ I can't imagine it's design realisitically. It's way too bulky. However, I do like it. Just a little thinner or something and it'd be my favorite.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

TokyoVigilante wrote:But, for a United Nations built super-weapon, I would pick this monstrosity; http://tohokingdom.com/concept_art/gvsm ... la_01.html
Well, damn. I wonder if that was the inspiration for Matt Frank's Super Mechagodzilla Neo:

"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Darth Calypso
Gotengo Officer

Post by Darth Calypso »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote:But, for a United Nations built super-weapon, I would pick this monstrosity; http://tohokingdom.com/concept_art/gvsm ... la_01.html
Well, damn. I wonder if that was the inspiration for Matt Frank's Super Mechagodzilla Neo:

I'm not sure but I think it was based off of the SMG design from Godzilla: Generations. I sorta liked MG's design but, I prefer the one in the art poster.
Think With Your Dipstick Jimmy
My edited images, drawings, music, and SFX

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

I'm ok with his final design in the movie; it was fit for the 90's.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Darth Calypso wrote:
TitanoGoji16 wrote:

I'm not sure but I think it was based off of the SMG design from Godzilla: Generations.
I really don't think so...

Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

...the legs on that Neo design are complete and total overkill. What is this, Super Sentai?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Well then I guess I missed the memo then huh? I didn't realize that was the "point" of them.

I don't scour deviant art (much less at all) for hours looking at Matt's old shit. His new stuff is so much better, it's not even funny.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Goji wrote:Well then I guess I missed the memo then huh? I didn't realize that was the "point" of them.

I don't scour deviant art (much less at all) for hours looking at Matt's old shit. His new stuff is so much better, it's not even funny.
Godzilla Neo is intended to be a look at Godzilla if it was an anime, bluntly put. It goes deeper than that but that's how I understand it, and in that way, I think it works fine,.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Is the Heisei MechaGodzilla officially named MechaGodzilla II? Can anybody provide links to official sources?
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

No. I explained this in detail, in the "Mechagodzilla 4" topic.
Goji wrote:There is a giant red "2" on his arm in TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA. He is Mechagodzilla 2.

Kiryu was the third Mechagodzilla design, so therefore he is technically "Mechagodzilla 3", if only for marketing reasons alone (Though as far as I know, Toho only used it once, in Godzilla:STE.) "Mechagodzilla 4" makes no sense considering the other MG's aren't even part of the same continuity, much like "MG II" makes no sense for the 90's MG. Derp.

If anything, the Heisei MG should simply be called the "U.N. MG", short for U.N.G.C.C.

-Mechagodzilla (1974)
-Mechagodzilla 2 (1975)

Pretty simple.

-Heisei MG (1993). Aka "Mechagodzilla II", which was the name used by Sony entertainment for marketing reasons (On the Rregion 1 DVD), and by Pipeworks in the Atari Godzilla games, to further confuse the masses. The problem with this name is that it implies that it's related to the previous MG, which isn't even in the same continuity. Why Toho ever approved the name is beyond me. Obviously somebody fucked up in the marketing department.

-Kiryu (2002/2003)-Aka "Mechagodzilla 3" in Godzilla:Save the Earth (PS2/Xbox). Changed back to "Kiryu" in Godzilla:Unleashed (Wii).
Goji wrote: Some people don't seem to understand why Heisei MG is not actually MG II. It was simply a marketing name so that Sony's VHS release of the '93 film wouldn't be confused with the Anchor Bay release of the 1974 film, which was still available at the time.

The Heisei MG is the second incarnation of the character, but he's definitely not "Mechagodzilla II". He's called nothing of the sort in either the Japanese version or English dub of the film.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Goji wrote:No. I explained this in detail, in the "Mechagodzilla 4" topic.
Goji wrote:There is a giant red "2" on his arm in TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA. He is Mechagodzilla 2.

Kiryu was the third Mechagodzilla design, so therefore he is technically "Mechagodzilla 3", if only for marketing reasons alone (Though as far as I know, Toho only used it once, in Godzilla:STE.) "Mechagodzilla 4" makes no sense considering the other MG's aren't even part of the same continuity, much like "MG II" makes no sense for the 90's MG. Derp.

If anything, the Heisei MG should simply be called the "U.N. MG", short for U.N.G.C.C.

-Mechagodzilla (1974)
-Mechagodzilla 2 (1975)

Pretty simple.

-Heisei MG (1993). Aka "Mechagodzilla II", which was the name used by Sony entertainment for marketing reasons (On the Rregion 1 DVD), and by Pipeworks in the Atari Godzilla games, to further confuse the masses. The problem with this name is that it implies that it's related to the previous MG, which isn't even in the same continuity. Why Toho ever approved the name is beyond me. Obviously somebody skreeonk up in the marketing department.

-Kiryu (2002/2003)-Aka "Mechagodzilla 3" in Godzilla:Save the Earth (PS2/Xbox). Changed back to "Kiryu" in Godzilla:Unleashed (Wii).
Goji wrote: Some people don't seem to understand why Heisei MG is not actually MG II. It was simply a marketing name so that Sony's VHS release of the '93 film wouldn't be confused with the Anchor Bay release of the 1974 film, which was still available at the time.

The Heisei MG is the second incarnation of the character, but he's definitely not "Mechagodzilla II". He's called nothing of the sort in either the Japanese version or English dub of the film.
Ok, thanks for the head's up. Give me a minute to soak this info in.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I apologize, there was a lot of extra info that which wasn't related to your question, but I figured I'd leave it there for the sake of context.

Just remember that the "Mechagodzilla II" name is simply used for marketing. It's never referred to as "MG II" in the Japanese version, or the English dub. The film's Japanese title is GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA, as is the film's international title (And Sony has used the international titles for all of the films they've released, sans the 90's films, VS. MOTHRA and VS. MECHAGODZILLA).

In 1998, the 1964 film MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA was released on DVD and VHS by Simitar as "Godzilla vs. Mothra". To avoid confusion, Sony made up the "Godzilla and Mothra: Battle for Earth" title for home video so that consumers weren't confused, and would be led to believe that they were the same film.

The same applies to VS. MECHAGODZILLA. The 1974 film was released on VHS by Anchor Bay in '97, and was still available on the format by the time Sony released the '98 film later that year. Again, to avoid confusion, they changed the title to "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II". Why Toho approved it, is beyond me. It's not a direct sequel to the original film, and is misleading to consumers, and to fans as well, evidently.

Llante
Monsterland Worker

Post by Llante »

Let's see, I liked the fight scenes a lot. Most of them with Mechagodzilla (Heisei) were pretty good. Like it was awesome when it beam clashed with Godzilla twice, one of them being with the powerful spiral ray. Another thing I liked about this incarnation of MechaG was that there was actually ingenuity behind the design, even more so than other mechs and super weapons. Its engineers gave it the ability to absorb 90% of Heisei attacks, making it a mech that could potentially defend against almost all kaiju, (Except EMP pulsers, but they could have just given it an upgrade.) and it had enormous amounts of firepower. It really did seem like something that might be able to save Japan from the monster menace which made its destruction all the more dispiriting. By giving it this amazing amount of power, it really came across as a Juggernaut, something important for the mechanical doppelganger.

Not only this, but it helped that Mechagodzilla was being directed by an experienced, competent, and generally likable cast of characters who actually came across as intelligent. How so? One, building a Mechagodzilla in the first place. Two, using the MKG remains to boost MechaG's technology was a good idea. Three, with each battle, learning from the past malfunctions and vulnerabilities. It was disappointing that Mechagodzilla got destroyed although I would rather have Godzilla live. A lot of hard work and prospects to make the world safer were set a blaze by the spiral ray.

Anyways, what I dislike about this Mechagodzilla is that there was no personality there, just a machine, but in the end, it ended up working quite well for the film. The characters and other kaiju allowed to be developed more and focused on, and Mechagodzilla came across more as a cold, emotionless killing machine and really a tool for the main characters. So I can accept that this Mechagodzilla didn't have as much emotion as either the original or most certainly Kiryu.

In the end, I found the Heisei Mechagodzilla to be a nice addition to the roster of kaiju and mechs.

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

Far worse monsters?
84-95