Monster Discussion #58: Gyaos (Heisei)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #58: Gyaos (Heisei)

Post by JVM »

Wasn't planning to do the Gamera films but I figured 'Eh, what the hell?' G:GOTU is the only Gamera film I've seen and I found it quite enjoyable - Gyaos was an excellent villain, a very unique villain with a distinct personality that differed in my opinion from a lot of the other '90s kaiju offerings.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

MothraRocks
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #58: Gyaos (Heisei)

Post by MothraRocks »

Loved Gyaos, they were actually frightning creatures with cannabalistic attitudes.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I LOVE this incarnation of Gyaos. It's so feral and predatory. They're not particularly powerful, but extremely unpredictable and opportunistic. Combined with how quickly they multiple, this makes them just dangerous as top tier monsters. An excellent update.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Legion1979 wrote:
HayesAJones wrote:I LOVE this incarnation of Gyaos. It's so feral and predatory.
And for me, kinda boring. This Gyaos is well executed and works for the movie. But I'll take the simplistic, streamlined Gyaos from the original series any day. It's a classic.
And goofy looking.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Legion1979 wrote:
HayesAJones wrote:I LOVE this incarnation of Gyaos. It's so feral and predatory.
And for me, kinda boring. This Gyaos is well executed and works for the movie. But I'll take the simplistic, streamlined Gyaos from the original series any day. It's a classic.
Eh, I think Gyaos works much better as a ravenous, disgusting, fast-multiplying predator determined to devour everything and everyone, like a kaiju-sized virus. The original Gyaos is fun, but this one took it to a whole new level.

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

They certainly did a respectable job when redesigning this character. In my opinion, they filled the hole the original had; being a blood-thirsty carnivore, and took it a step further. Sure, he ate a few people in the original, but in this movie, it seems to be their primary function. In terms of the physical redesign, he is a hit. The execution was a little off, but I didn't mind at all.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Great Redesign of the original and being a Predatory and Savage Creature makes him more creepy and Dangerous
i like a villain monster that the only hting that wants to do is Kill everything in sight with no mercy.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This Gyaos is more interesting than the original. The film makers took the monster a step further, making it more agressive and bloodthirsty. It was a great villain.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Legion1979 wrote:
I feel the same way. My username is a dead giveaway. I love the Heisei Gamera series to death, but the original Gyaos had more personality.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Turning something into a "swarm" monster kinda' has the effect of diminishing the uniqueness of a particular monster. Seeing the relentless singular Gyaos thwart pretty much every attempt by Gamera or the humans to stop it and sitting in a cave growing its leg back (in a surprisingly uncomfortable scene) makes for an effective villain. At least the one Gyaos got to shine in a final one-on-one battle with Gamera at the end, but I would've liked to have seen it develop more as being particular savage and sneaky.

Showa Gyaos had a particularly brutal death too. It takes a special kind of hate to bite on your foes neck and beat his head against a rock until blood gushes out of his ears. But the Heisei stand off was cool to.

I think particular creature looks great, but I wish he shot gas out of his nipples though.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

TokyoVigilante wrote:I think particular creature looks great, but I wish he shot gas out of his nipples though.
Oh man, seeing Heisei Gyaos using his flame-retardant nipple spray would probably be the best thing ever.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

That would be a little out of place, but id still burst out laughing and probably fall off my seat.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

TokyoVigilante wrote:Turning something into a "swarm" monster kinda' has the effect of diminishing the uniqueness of a particular monster.
Never really thought about it that way, but it's a good point. It does kind of take away from it's "badassness". At least in the end, there was only one, and like you said, it was at least a cool fight.
Legion1979 wrote: Additionally, I love the original Gyaos roar.
I missed the roar of the original Gyaos. You got to hear it basically once, and it didn't really do much. I thought the Heisei versions' screech made it sound like a wuss.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Tyler wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote:Turning something into a "swarm" monster kinda' has the effect of diminishing the uniqueness of a particular monster. Seeing the relentless singular Gyaos thwart pretty much every attempt by Gamera or the humans to stop it and sitting in a cave growing its leg back (in a surprisingly uncomfortable scene) makes for an effective villain. At least the one Gyaos got to shine in a final one-on-one battle with Gamera at the end, but I would've liked to have seen it develop more as being particular savage and sneaky.
I see what you mean, but I think they did a nice job of re-inventing how Gyaos can adapt quickly. Here they have perfect DNA, breed out of control and adapt to environments quickly. I think when having lots of them that works very well instead of having them pull abilities out of nowhere.
Oh for sure. Made them like a viral infection. I think it's a really natural update for Gyaos, but I still hate to see the original "one and only" Showa Gyaos get usurped in favor of the Heisei one, much in the way that FW Gigan was becoming the de facto/goto for Gigan designs that people were using for a little while.

I'd be curious if they went with Barugon instead if it would still be a swarm approach.

I think Varan would really benefit from having a Gyaos-esque update.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

TokyoVigilante wrote: Oh for sure. Made them like a viral infection. I think it's a really natural update for Gyaos, but I still hate to see the original "one and only" Showa Gyaos get usurped in favor of the Heisei one,
Thats simply because Heisei Gyaos looks more realistic than the showa one,sad but true,i'm not making this up.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Something looking more realistic is a stupid reason for preferring the design of a monster that shoots sonic laser beams and fights a flying turtle. People like the Heisei one because it looks less goofy and they can take it more seriously.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I'm just gonna drop in the fact 'realism' is the core reason G98 was... well, exactly what it was.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

JVM wrote:I'm just gonna drop in the fact 'realism' is the core reason G98 was... well, exactly what it was.
Talk about nailing it on the head. Anyway...

I love heisei Gyaos. '95 Gyaos is more evil and vicious-looking than the original, although the flight scenes left something to be desired. I do prefer the original roar over the '95 one. However, what was wrong with this version was fixed with '99 Hyper Gyaos. It's scarier. It's deadlier. And the old & terrifying roar is back.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Tyler wrote:Like Gamera Gyaos received a great update. They both feel like living creatures with the detail and nuances put into them. The Gyaos are especially disgusting, they're like flying hyenas. Cannibalistic, hermaphroditic, they're totally unrelatable.
I support this.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Tohosaurus wrote:
Tyler wrote:Like Gamera Gyaos received a great update. They both feel like living creatures with the detail and nuances put into them. The Gyaos are especially disgusting, they're like flying hyenas. Cannibalistic, hermaphroditic, they're totally unrelatable.
I support this.
I second this support.