Talkback Thread #9: Destroy All Monsters (1968)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
NebulaMSpacehunter
Samurai
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: DAM question

Postby NebulaMSpacehunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:35 am

Budget and tech doesn't really have much to do with getting all ten monsters to fight Ghidrah, they had all the suits there so all you needed was them to go at it, so I don't know why they decided not to have all the monsters fight. Maybe they were just too rushed to film a giant action scene like that.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby edgaguirus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Agreed.

DAM was designed to showcase as many monsters as possible. Even if some monsters could not be well represented, they still wanted them in the film.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Postby Killswitch » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:13 am

Better yet, have two King Ghidorah's. Just as the Earth Monsters have KG at the edge of defeat, another KG appears.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Postby Godz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:55 am

SAVE_US.GDZ

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Postby Killswitch » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:39 am

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Postby Goji » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:45 am

Are you serious? The charm of these kind of films then goes straight out the window. Besides, we're talking about a film that was made 43 years ago. CGI wasn't an option.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Postby Killswitch » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:02 am

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Postby Tamura » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:19 am

IMO, CGI restricts imagination.

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Postby bananaoil » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:42 pm

CGI and Suits used in unison, one complementing the other, is the answer.
Daikaiju is better with rainbows!!!

NebulaMSpacehunter
Samurai

Postby NebulaMSpacehunter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:38 pm

I've never been a big fan of CGI, the technology itself seems itself take the life out of the monsters(or whatever it is) and it's often abused to the point where it makes me numb to the (SUUUPPPERRR EXTREME CG) action and detaches me from the suspence

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Postby Showa Gyaos » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Postby Godz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 am

SAVE_US.GDZ

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Postby edgaguirus » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback Thread #9: Destroy All Monsters (1968)

Postby Space Hunter M » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Lord Gappa
G-Grasper

Postby Lord Gappa » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Lord Gappa
G-Grasper

Postby Lord Gappa » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Postby Irys X » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:05 pm

I think hes actually a bastard child of the pillsburry doughboy and barnery, but Godzilla got stuck with him for a while because toho promised him a REAL baby in 1993. Shame they replaced it with Minya's brother in 1994, and then when Godzilla finally got an actual descendent who was almost fully grown, Destroyah killed him. Cruel. Even more cruel that Godzilla got Minya back for a 50th birthday present. Oh well. Hes good for some things. Like strangling King Ghidorah.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

destroyah1985
Yojimbo

Postby destroyah1985 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:21 pm

this is the only Godzilla DVD I don't have but I have seen this one twice, It is quite boring untill all of eath's monster team up against King Ghidorah then it was good my favorte part is when Godzilla stoped on Ghidorah's neck.
DESTROYAH!!!!

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Postby GotengoXGodzilla » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:17 pm

I feel differently about Destroy All Monsters than I have in the past. During the attack on Monster Island (after the Killaks had taken over), I found myself saying, "Could you please get to the good stuff already?" Then when the military was attacking Godzilla and Anguirus, I was saying the same thing.

Nowadays, I think Destroy All Monsters is very repetitive and becomes eye-rolling at a couple points. Some scenes serve no purpose other than to have an action scene, like the attack on Tokyo, and others just repeat what other scenes have already done, like the whole Fire Dragon thing at the end of the film. To be fair, the acting is decent and I enjoy most of the characters, but that's all that needs to be said about that. And, obviously, the fight against King Ghidorah is still amazing to watch. The problem, though, is that you have to sit through a lot of the same scenes to get to that moment of awesomeness. The question I was asking myself at the end was, "Was the monster fight worth the wait?"
Check out my film blog -

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Postby shinmattiathekaiju » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”