Bye-Bye Jupiter (1984)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Bye-Bye Jupiter (1984)

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

What a bizarre movie. On the one hand, it's one of the most awe-inspiring sci-fi films of the '80s and on the other, it's sort of a trippy metaphysical piece. I absolutely love the special effects in this film. They're some of the best, if not the best, in Kawakita's career. I just loved the exquisite detail put in the miniatures, and the optical effects are equally as impressive. Another thing to note is the soundtrack, which is just awesome. The nice mix of '80s synthesizers with a full blown orchestra really clicked for me, and don't even get me started on the frighteningly catchy end credits theme song.

Still, its got its faults. The movie could've used a better editor and delete or trim down a few scenes here and there. The acting here is hit-and-miss. The gaijin are, with a few exceptions, terrible or forgettable. The minimal Japanese cast definitely holds up better. Finally...what was the point with Jupiter the dolphin?

All in all, its a flawed but impressive sci-fi epic. It has oodles of ambition, and for the most part it succeeds at reaching it. What are your thoughts on this psychedelic mid-80s SF adventure? If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it.

Ghost the Bat
Monsterland Worker

Re: Sayonara Jupiter

Post by Ghost the Bat »

I barely remember watching this four years ago...the only thing that really sticks out about the movie is the Godzilla cameo and the zero gravity sex scene. Definitely tells me I need to rewatch this film.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

The special effects are amazing. For their time, I don't feel Toho has ever done better. Its Kawakita at the top of his game.

In terms of the story? Its so-so. The biggest problem are all of the Earth scenes, which are unneeded and also give a pretty flimsy and throw away reason as to why the terrorists are attacking.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Someone mind explaining to me how Godzilla's cameo works into the plot?
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

JVM wrote:Someone mind explaining to me how Godzilla's cameo works into the plot?
Early on in the film, our lead is watching old Toho movies on some sort of futuristic Super-8 player. He turns off Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto when his friend comes in and wrestles him. The lead later leaves to meet with one of the scientists planning to tour Jupiter's atmosphere, then his friend plops in a movie and it's Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster and starts to root for Godzilla.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Re: Bye-Bye Jupiter (1984)

I also already made a topic about the film. :P

http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=869

It is available on DVD from Discotek Media, so I'd give it a rental.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:Early on in the film, our lead is watching old Toho movies on some sort of futuristic Super-8 player. He turns off Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto when his friend comes in and wrestles him. The lead later leaves to meet with one of the scientists planning to tour Jupiter's atmosphere, then his friend plops in a movie and it's Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster and starts to root for Godzilla.
Slight correction, its Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island but otherwise this is dead on.
DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:I also already made a topic about the film. :P

http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=869
Yep, so I will just merge the two.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Arbok wrote:
DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:Early on in the film, our lead is watching old Toho movies on some sort of futuristic Super-8 player. He turns off Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto when his friend comes in and wrestles him. The lead later leaves to meet with one of the scientists planning to tour Jupiter's atmosphere, then his friend plops in a movie and it's Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster and starts to root for Godzilla.
Slight correction, its Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island but otherwise this is dead on.
Ugh, should have known that since that's the only scene I've seen in its entirety of the Samurai trilogy. :oops:

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Sorry for bringing back an ancient thread. But I finally managed to watch this movie, and couldn't resist. I don't think my opinion matters to anybody, but I need to let this out. Especially for such an old, unknown film.

I just love Sayonara Jupiter. It was crappy as far as characters and pacing went. But I still love it. The basic story, although incredibly drawn out and crowded with different ideas, was great. A massive object heading towards Earth is nothing new, but it certainly was interesting to see them use both old and new ideas to associate with the catastrophe.

Now many people would probably, and understandably, groan at all of these long, artsy, and sometimes needless scenes. But I liked the feeling these scenes gave out. I get a sense of awe and wonder at the emptiness of space, the eerie atmosphere of the zero-grav scene, the haunting appearance of the Jupiter Ghost, the hypnotic (but cheesy) songs Peter played, and even the fun, useless novelty of a pro-longed shark attack! It made the movie a sort of weird mash up of art, both high and crude. Like an almost psychedelic gallery. Perhaps my most favorite of scenes were the ones on Jupiter itself. The gas and smoke was mystifying and the Jupiter Ghost was quite an interesting sight.

The characters ... really didn't fare too well. Especially the english-speaking ones. Eiji Honda, Carlos, and Peter were probably the only real interesting ones of the bunch. But obviously that's because these characters recieved the most focus, and also the best acting, of the film. But thanks to the major impact of Jupiter and its "ghost's" final cries, I actually saw the planet as a nice character itself. So, no doubt, I felt a slight pull of emotion when it finally went away. Note: Movie characters don't typically pull at my heart ... the fact this was just a planet should really make this weird. But perhaps that's what the developers were aiming for.

My only major complaints about this film (on a mere personal view) was the horribly mind-numbing length of the whole thing and how downplayed the aliens and Jupiter Ghost were. I suppose the Ghost did everything it needed to for the story, but it still felt ... meager.

Now then, sorry for the post. But I needed to type this ...
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

What I've seen and heard of this film reminds me of MESSAGE FROM SPACE. Is my assessment correct?

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Tamura wrote:What I've seen and heard of this film reminds me of MESSAGE FROM SPACE. Is my assessment correct?
Not quite as campy as Message from Space, but it still has its moments of absolute strangeness and it's also a pretty satisfying space opera.

rytheman
Yojimbo

Post by rytheman »

Tamura wrote:What I've seen and heard of this film reminds me of MESSAGE FROM SPACE. Is my assessment correct?
Not really. It's more like a cross between 2001: A Space Odyssey, and 2010: The Year We Make Contact, with a bit of Moonraker, and The Black Hole thrown in for good measure. Also, I really don't recommend the movie, it's a total mess. What makes it more painful is that visual effects by Koichi Kawakita might be some of his very best. High Quality CGI in a bad movie is one thing, but High Quality miniature work in a bad movie is unforgivable.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

^ Yeah. As much as I personally loved the movie, it's definitley something not too many people can get into.

Too long, plenty of boring scenes, lousy acting, weird mixing of languages, and the artsy (possibly show-offy) scenes might not be everyone's cup of tea. Like. At all.

So, it's more like a movie for people who are incredibly patient, hardcore scifi/toho fans. Doesn't mean it completley sucks. Cuz I've read good things about the film. But don't go in with high hopes or anything.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?

rytheman
Yojimbo

Post by rytheman »

Dust_pan wrote:^ Yeah. As much as I personally loved the movie, it's definitley something not too many people can get into.

Too long, plenty of boring scenes, lousy acting, weird mixing of languages, and the artsy (possibly show-offy) scenes might not be everyone's cup of tea. Like. At all.

So, it's more like a movie for people who are incredibly patient, hardcore scifi/toho fans. Doesn't mean it completley sucks. Cuz I've read good things about the film. But don't go in with high hopes or anything.
Define artsy. If you're referring to stuff like the scene where the male, and female leads are floating through space naked, then I'd have to disagree with you on that. That to me, is less of an artsy moment, and more of a strait up WTF moment.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

rytheman wrote:
Dust_pan wrote:^ Yeah. As much as I personally loved the movie, it's definitley something not too many people can get into.

Define artsy. If you're referring to stuff like the scene where the male, and female leads are floating through space naked, then I'd have to disagree with you on that. That to me, is less of an artsy moment, and more of a strait up WTF moment.
I'd consider more of the long, mostly drawn out environmental shots, like the ships and Jupiter, to me more artsy. The naked floating scene is definitley more WTF. It does become a very weird, surreal moment though.

rytheman
Yojimbo

Post by rytheman »

Dust_pan wrote: I'd consider more of the long, mostly drawn out environmental shots, like the ships and Jupiter, to me more artsy. The naked floating scene is definitley more WTF. It does become a very weird, surreal moment though.
I did not have a problem with those parts. They where most welcome, especially after when we saw what the English speaking "actors" were capable off.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

rytheman wrote:
Dust_pan wrote: I'd consider more of the long, mostly drawn out environmental shots, like the ships and Jupiter, to me more artsy. The naked floating scene is definitley more WTF. It does become a very weird, surreal moment though.
I did not have a problem with those parts. They where most welcome, especially after when we saw what the English speaking "actors" were capable off.
Eh? Well, that's cool. Of course, those were probably the greatest moments of the movie, but no doubt drawn out.

Perhaps I should have left out the word "artsy" altogether that time.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

"MAN...You're destroying the cosmos! And the sola system!"
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

rytheman
Yojimbo

Post by rytheman »

Goji wrote:"MAN...You're destroying the cosmos! And the sola system!"
Oh dear God the space hippies. I almost forgot about them. I don't care what anyone else says, they might be the most asinine creation in the history of Toho.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Anyone else been to Space McDonalds before?