Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Pacific Rim

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ Probably the movie could borrow some monsters ideas for the upcoming Godzilla.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

I'm all for this movie and all...but this movie has a high potential to kill the Godzilla franchise.
Like seriously, I feel that Godzilla NEEDS to be released first, otherwise critics will black ball it as cashing in on an "original concept", and audiences won't want to see Godzilla because they already had their filling with Pacific Rim. The critics don't matter as much as the box office, though, and Pacific rim being released first is liable to hurt it.

I'm far more worried about this project than anticipating it. I don't like other giant monster films stealing Godzilla's thunder, especially when he's THE Giant Monster.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I'm pretty sure critics will take into consideration that both films began production around the same time. Again, despite the multitude of alien invasion movies being released this year critics aren't lampooning a movie for simply being another film of a now popular subgenre but continue to judge films on their own merits. If anything Pacific Rim may generate more public interest for another giant monster film.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:I'm pretty sure critics will take into consideration that both films began production around the same time. Again, despite the multitude of alien invasion movies being released this year critics aren't lampooning a movie for simply being another film of a now popular subgenre but continue to judge films on their own merits. If anything Pacific Rim may generate more public interest for another giant monster film.
That's a harsh over estimate of what critics will and won't consider when viewing a film.
Giant Monster films are a niche genre, There haven't been many. A giant monster film would be looked upon as original this day in Hollywood, so one of these flms is going to be effected by the other, and probably negatively. Pacific Rim already has sympathy from the critics because it doesn't rely on a pre-existing franchise. I can promise you that Pacific Rim will generate more positive reviews, and buzz possibly than Godzilla, Infact, there is a good chance Pacific Rim will be the better film.
All this really hurts Godzilla's chances for a new film series. Godzilla will fade from cultural relevancy and be a bygone from a lost era of cult films. Forgotten in the vast expanse of time....

The franchise teeters on the edge of a knife.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
Let's dance.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Svitska Donkun wrote: The franchise teeters on the edge of a knife.
Now THAT is a gross exaggeration. You're assuming that because Pacific Rim exists than therefore critics will judge other giant monster films harshly, and therefore the franchise bombs. Godzilla has never been a franchise to thrive off good reviews. If a few close minded critics give a negative score due to the fact that Pacific Rim came a year before, it won't deter people from seeing the final product.

Again, you're ignoring a film critics normal tendency which is to judge each film on its own merits. Despite the large amount of superhero films this summer, criticis ignored the trend and reviewed the films as a stand alone venture not as the continuation of a genre.

Also, the idea of a modern giant monster film is not incredibly original. If you're making the argument about Pacific Rim than that film itself has alot to worry about from Cloverfield and Michael Bay's Transformers trilogy.

Finally, Pacific Rim and Godzilla despite having similarities honestly are very different films. If any film needs to be concerned about the existence of Del Toro's movie it is Tim Burton's Monsterpocalypse.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote: If any film needs to be concerned about the existence of Del Toro's movie it is Tim Burton's Monsterpocalypse.
Which we haven't heard ANY news for in months. What happened there? I was looking forward to that.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Hmmm, maybe should have a Godzilla refrence in Pacific Rim. Be interesting to see, but i doubt it
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

http://pokemunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

"Promethus has landed"

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote: Now THAT is a gross exaggeration. You're assuming that because Pacific Rim exists than therefore critics will judge other giant monster films harshly, and therefore the franchise bombs. Godzilla has never been a franchise to thrive off good reviews. If a few close minded critics give a negative score due to the fact that Pacific Rim came a year before, it won't deter people from seeing the final product.
But another movie with a similar concept might. As I said, ticket sales matter more than critical reception at this point, BUT Godzilla isn't a superhero movie, as I said its a niche genre. A monster film nowadays is original. Audiences may ignore one because of the other. Its a high possibility, and its happened before in similar situations.

Again, you're ignoring a film critics normal tendency which is to judge each film on its own merits. Despite the large amount of superhero films this summer, criticis ignored the trend and reviewed the films as a stand alone venture not as the continuation of a genre.
This is because each superhero is a pop culture icon. Though Godzilla is too, superhero movies are common enough nowadays that they can be considered there own genre. Godzilla once had his own genre, but those days are over. A Godzilla film released nowadays is likely to get torn apart for simply being what it is. It will be written off as another callous cash-in reboot, in the same vein as G.I. Joe or Clash of the Titans. This is why its releasing and marketing must be handeled well. Godzilla will never hold up against an original project in the critics eyes. The majority of them are biased like that. I'm sure enough to bet money on it.
Also, the idea of a modern giant monster film is not incredibly original. If you're making the argument about Pacific Rim than that film itself has alot to worry about from Cloverfield and Michael Bay's Transformers trilogy.
Cloverfield was an oddball and succeeded because of its brilliant viral marketing campaign. Transformers can hardly be considered a giant monster movie.
Also, Cloverfield was released almost 4 years ago and is vastly different in style to anything Pacific Rim would be.
Finally, Pacific Rim and Godzilla despite having similarities honestly are very different films. If any film needs to be concerned about the existence of Del Toro's movie it is Tim Burton's Monsterpocalypse.
Its pretty stupid to suggest that Godzilla and Pacific Rim are very different films when no one knows what the hell the plot of the new Godzilla movie is AND the fact that Pacific Rim's plot would fit perfectly into a Godzilla film. In fact, I believe Godzilla At World's End had a similar plot....

And, no, Tim Burton's Monster Apocalypse is a non issue. That will probably amount to nothing. Tim Burton;s last good film was Big Fish. He's kind of a hack who tries to impress with the same bag of tricks.

I think that people who don;t consider this film the make it or break it film of Godzilla's franchise are extremely naive...ALOT is riding on this in terms of Godzilla's career.
Let's dance.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Gojira21 wrote:Hmmm, maybe should have a Godzilla refrence in Pacific Rim. Be interesting to see, but i doubt it
It Would Be Nice to tied the Movies Together but its a Little Dificult to do so, A Monster Cameo or Reference could be. :)

and About that Critics and The Two Movies (Pacific Rim And Monsterpocalypse) I Think it could be a factor but the only thing that i care about its that
the 3 movies are Entertaining, Everything Else that Other people said Negative wise i just dont mind. ;)
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Yea i know, i was basically talking about a reference. BUT, maybe if LG's Godzilla does fail at attempt to make a new series, maybe they add Godzilla into another installment of Pacific RIm!!!...yea i know wishful thinking
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Gojira21 wrote:Yea i know, i was basically talking about a reference. BUT, maybe if LG's Godzilla does fail at attempt to make a new series, maybe they add Godzilla into another installment of Pacific RIm!!!...yea i know wishful thinking
That Sounds Awesome Expand Godzilla Universe a little like with Zone Fighter Or With King Kong and You Got a lot of Money :huge:
but still i want GODZILLA 2014 to be A great Movie otherwise.

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Yea it would be something to see, but yea i want it to great also. So heres to hoping it is!! cheers!!!

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

O yes, lets forgo the opportunity for a new Godzilla franchise and settle for Godzilla making a cameo appearance in an unrelated film, assuming Toho would let that happen. It'll be great!
Let's dance.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Svitska Donkun wrote:O yes, lets forgo the opportunity for a new Godzilla franchise and settle for Godzilla making a cameo appearance in an unrelated film, assuming Toho would let that happen. It'll be great!
Jeez man, calm down. :roll: You call people on being naiive, but you're the one claiming the Godzilla franchise is over before either film is released.

Legendary has already made it clear that both films will be released, and I'm sure they have taken this into consideration.

Again, the reason why I cite superhero films as an example is that believe it or not before our market was saturated with them they too were a novelty. It wasn't until X-men and Spider-man exploded that the potential for comic book, and adaptation movies in general was realized. The very same could be seen for these films.

Let's just calm down a bit and atleast wait for more information before we start claiming the sky is falling.

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Svitska Donkun wrote:O yes, lets forgo the opportunity for a new Godzilla franchise and settle for Godzilla making a cameo appearance in an unrelated film, assuming Toho would let that happen. It'll be great!
No one was forgoing the opportunity of a new Godzilla series, i was just SAYING it would be cool to see maybe just a refference nothing dramatic. Relax, man damn

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Gojira21 wrote:
No one was forgoing the opportunity of a new Godzilla series, i was just SAYING it would be cool to see maybe just a refference nothing dramatic. Relax, man damn
Don't worry. He's just continuing his rant abotu how Pacific Rim will kill the Godzilla franchise.

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

I always thought it was Baraugon making that arguement before his banishment? lol ah ohwell, no harm done

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

Gojira21 wrote:I always thought it was Baraugon making that arguement before his banishment? lol ah ohwell, no harm done
Now he argued we were all idiots, and he was smarter than us because he hated movies.
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Ah ok, i remember now lol glad he is gone

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm in the camp that considers Pacific Rim dangerous to Godzilla's future. Don't get me wrong, I think PR sounds like an awesome concept and I fully intend to see it on opening day. But if it's as cool as it has the potential to be, it could easily overshadow Godzilla. And a large part of that is simply that PR will be something new, which is a rare commodity in the kaiju genre these days. New story, new characters, new setting, new monsters. Versus the thirtieth sequel of a fifty-six year old Japanese movie. Which do you think critics and the general public will favor?

And as for the argument that Godzilla's name alone will be a big draw...I'm not so sure that's true. Adults know him, certainly. They know him as an oft-parodied fire-breathing, rubber dinosaur stumbling through cardboard buildings in cheap, crappy old Chinese movies. And kids, in my experience, don't know him at all anymore. I've talked to several of my neighbors' kids (ages four to eleven, approx.) in the last few years, and none of them had ever heard of Godzilla. And these kids had moved here from Alaska, California, and Nebraska, so it's not just local ignorance. And why would they know him? He's not on TV anymore, and his DVDs and toys are both fairly rare and completely overshadowed by whatever is currently popular. Unless they're actively looking for him, and they're not, they have no way to know about him.

Garreth and co. need to go all-out with this movie if it's going to have any chance of success.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio