Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire SPOILER/GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire SPOILER/GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by Moogabunga »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:41 pm
Neogeddon wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:10 pm
Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:50 am It’s annoying how so many fans insist that every single new antagonist titan needs to one-up Ghidorah. Lazy storytelling to make it so every film needs to go “bigger and bigger”
Kinda hated how the marketing extremely played into this. Even had a series retrospective at the start of the final trailer, as if this was The Big One. It felt like a midseason episode of a hypothetical Monsterverse cartoon, which is fine enough, but I guess that just doesn't hit as hard on the ad copy :lol:
It’s totally a filler episode of sorts lol but I kind of love that. Serious vs Sea Monster vibes.

That being said. I think it established a few things that the next film will build on.

3. Uber evolved Godzilla. Not sure how it’s all going to shape out but he’s going to be a legit unit in the next film, mark my words. (I prefer weaker Godzillas personally though but I digress).
Well considering "Evolved Godzilla" was absolutely pathetic and in many ways useless, I shudder to think what an "Uber evolved Godzilla" could look like. Will "Uber Godzilla" also get knocked out by a monkey wearing an Infinity Gauntlet and later super charge his breath, only to prove he can't aim his atomic breath trying to hit a different monkey...and then hitting the giant pet of the monkey with a whip...only to do absolutely nothing...thus having that super charge scene utterly anti-climatic and lame as hell.....?

Thankfully Wingard's garbage a*s is gone so maybe there could be some improvements

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I mean, I like Evolved Godzilla and the merch seems to be selling well which makes me think others do too....

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:22 pm I mean, I like Evolved Godzilla and the merch seems to be selling well which makes me think others do too....
I'm still a bigger fan of the earlier designs, but I'll admit the absolute glee so many people greeted G-Evolved with online helped bring me around on the idea. It's not a bad look at all, really, though I'd appreciate it if they could somehow bring back the blue in the future. :godzilla2021:

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Seeing Ultraman Rising fills me with even more gratitude toward Wingard for knowing how to pace a movie.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

MC_Lovecraft wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:15 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:22 pm I mean, I like Evolved Godzilla and the merch seems to be selling well which makes me think others do too....
I'm still a bigger fan of the earlier designs, but I'll admit the absolute glee so many people greeted G-Evolved with online helped bring me around on the idea. It's not a bad look at all, really, though I'd appreciate it if they could somehow bring back the blue in the future. :godzilla2021:
If they make it a form he can temporarily take on when absorbing mass amounts of energy or something and then back to normal when it wears off. Kinda like the rage mode in DAMM

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Their going to alter him back to the 2019/21 look somewhat in the next film. Heard someone mention that they're going to redesign him with bits from the previous two looks.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GoKelley86
GPN Volunteer

Post by GoKelley86 »

Godzilla is going to look different from film to film because that's a way to sell new merch.

If Godzilla and Kong look exactly the same in every film, then that's less reason for people to buy toys.

Its the same reason C-3P0 had a red arm in Force Awakens.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Oh yeah. For sure. It will happen to sell more toys and what not.

Could be a very nice composite looking Godzilla

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

This has been the theme for Godzilla its entire series....always changing, I don't understand all the hubub about current evolutions which at least now have reasons why it happens. No where in the past did they EVER ask why Godzilla "Looks like a dufus now" or "Why does he resemble a puppy or a feline?" The only mention ever was GVKG when they acknowledged he was bigger than before.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

MrRockett wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:38 am This has been the theme for Godzilla its entire series....always changing, I don't understand all the hubub about current evolutions which at least now have reasons why it happens. No where in the past did they EVER ask why Godzilla "Looks like a dufus now" or "Why does he resemble a puppy or a feline?" The only mention ever was GVKG when they acknowledged he was bigger than before.
A lot of the people complaining probably are new to the franchise and unfamiliar with this aspect of the character. Some of the new evolutions are controversial for different reasons, too. The Singular Point forms were based off of other monsters and people would have preferred actual returns by said monsters over this halfway solution. Godzilla Evolved didn't actually do anything with the new form: his beam didn't seem any different and he never used the thagomizer.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Neogeddon wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:10 pm
Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:50 am It’s annoying how so many fans insist that every single new antagonist titan needs to one-up Ghidorah. Lazy storytelling to make it so every film needs to go “bigger and bigger”
Kinda hated how the marketing extremely played into this. Even had a series retrospective at the start of the final trailer, as if this was The Big One. It felt like a midseason episode of a hypothetical Monsterverse cartoon, which is fine enough, but I guess that just doesn't hit as hard on the ad copy :lol:
I was in a lot of fear they'd take this route, especially when some of the early synopses claimed we'd learn more about the "origin of the Titans" - between that summary and the first teaser, I expected we were going to find out Skar King had explicit ties to both Godzilla and Kong's backstories and origins with existing personal vendettas. As if Skar King was once the true King of the Monsters who eliminated both Godzilla and Kong's entire species and was now targeting humans in the same manner. I know a lot of this sounds like a part of what we got, but I mean in a very in-your-face, blatant way, a very "I am the author of all of your pain" way.

I was actually really relieved the final film didn't take this route and was more of a 'filler' story. That's more my style. but I also think that's why it turned so many people off, to be honest.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Jomei wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:53 pm Seeing Ultraman Rising fills me with even more gratitude toward Wingard for knowing how to pace a movie.
What do you mean?
I thought Ultraman was way better paced.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

I thought GxK had fine pacing, but it definitely had a noticeable level of "how he'd get over there?" in my opinion. The monsters seemed like there were parts of their scenes missing, especially the Egypt fight.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:09 am
Jomei wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:53 pm Seeing Ultraman Rising fills me with even more gratitude toward Wingard for knowing how to pace a movie.
What do you mean?
I thought Ultraman was way better paced.
I mean that Ultraman Rising was sluggishly paced.

Not to get off on that, but seeing another kaiju film with pacing issues made me appreciate how Wingard doesn't waste time. Some directors think simply moving more slowly adds gravity to scenes that hasn't been earned through the writing. Wingard knows his story is thin, so he moves quickly over the tape holding those parts together.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I think GxK and Shin Ultraman are two of the best paced recent kaiju movies….

G-1 is unquestionably the best recent film, but it does drag at times.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:27 am I think GxK and Shin Ultraman are two of the best paced recent kaiju movies….

G-1 is unquestionably the best recent film, but it does drag at times.
We're talking about Rising, not Shin. I prefer Shin Ultraman to G-1 overall. I also think Shin Godzilla is better, though I don't think G-1 drags.

But I do agree at least about Shin Ultraman being well paced. :lol:

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I know the discussion was on Rising, but since GxK was brought up, just wanted to throw my two cents in about modern well paced Kaiju movies.

Kong Skull Island and Pacific Rim are also well paced. GvK isn’t bad.

Shin Godzilla …the first half is perfection when it comes to pacing. Second half, not so much.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I think Pacific Rim has the same third-act problem as Shin, though it's not a huge problem in either case. They both created a spectacular climactic scene around that middle or two-thirds point, and it's almost impossible to sustain energy after that, so they had to slow down a bit before building to another crescendo.

The original Godzilla is also structured this way. I know any critique of that movie is virtual blasphemy, but there is also a drop-off in energy there.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Yeah, I always thought the underwater fight pales in comparison to the Hong Kong battle. I thought they would have done more with a category 5 kaiju
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Pacific Rim isn't the end all be all that many would have us think. That's for sure. The pacing is good but....yeah, I guess, the last third after HK just suffers in comparison. I think the MV films are better....as crazy as that may seem to say.

Still, GDT had his heart in the right place and there's some stuff in that film that's really, really amazing.