Ultraman Arc - Spoilers/Discussion

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Re: Ultraman Arc - Spoilers/Discussion

Post by Dyrakro »

The soundtrack sounds really good already, do hope we don't get another Z/Trigger/Decker situation with the OST not getting released for years to come.

And that OP, my god is it cool, sounds like an absolute banger

Kaijuking101
EDF Instructor

Post by Kaijuking101 »

Preview for Ultraman Arc episode 1

Added in 2 minutes 20 seconds:
Also here's the special preview for Ultraman Arc. The first half is just a goddamn recap of prior Ultra shows, all the juicy stuff comes in part 2 with new footage of Arc and new kaiju seen as well as more footage of certain kaiju we've already seen plus more of the characters and footage of them.
Ultraman Dyna wrote: “Nobody knows your future. Do you know why? That's because the future is for you to make”
Kenzaki Kazuma wrote: "I will fight fate...and win."

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I must say that I like the looks of the new monsters appearing in Arc!

Especially "Rivijira" here. I'm a sucker for deep-sea monsters with massive maws. The bioluminescent spots looking like eyes are a nice touch.

Looking forward to the first episode!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Wow, there was a lot going on in this episode, huh?
Spoiler:
First off, going into the show with the host already becoming an Ultra is a pretty fun change of pace; wonder if we'll get a flashback episode? Also some new enemies with the gross looking Oo-zee's, and a Shagong which I assume had become a mindless host for the larger ones. Poor thing...

And what a finisher! Using a broken Ultra Barrier to pierce skin like shards of glass! There's a lot at stake here, but I'm really looking forward to see how it all turns out.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Ultraman Rising : uwu i dun wanna kill le kaiju~
Ultraman Arc: genocides an entire population of Oo-ze ep 1

We're so back :JetJaguar:

Some cool effects sequences in this episode. Wasn't a lot of that final battle one long cut? Fooled me if not, but a great scene regardless. I also appreciated Shagong's extendo-neck attacks.

Character-wise, neither blown away nor disappointed just yet, though I did like Mr. Coffee.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Shagong is both cute and neat. Yeah that energy shield stab was great. Hm the parasite mutations are cool series long threats. That sword summon was great.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I'm definitely liking the new series. I know a LOT of people liked Blazar, but I couldn't get into it. i gave up after 4 episodes, but if we get a Blu Ray form Mill Creek, ill probably give it a watch. Arc on the other hand, was "back to formula" in a good way, but still creative. Not so much an origin, but a recently-established hero, a cool new take. Also I like the "Return of Ultraman" font they are using, very nostalgic.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

First episode was decent.

It was lighthearted humor wise. Importantly, it wasn’t annoying. No smile smile. A good character establishing joke about needing coffee.

The set-up is intriguing: Yuma already being an Ultrahost allows for the episode to actually feel like a regular episode and get things going.

The new monster was cool, but feels understated compared to a lot of “first monsters” of recent series. I liked that it actually briefly engaged with the GDF.

The fight was also nice. I liked the perspective and the finishing blow was neat. Glass break into stab, into beam. I guess for me it just didn’t have the oomph I wish it did.

Overall I thought this was good. However, it’s hard to top Blazar and especially it’s first episode in my mind. This seems like a return to more of the same.

The oozee and the monolith provide possibilities for some real growth though.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

OrnithopodaistheBest
GPN Volunteer

Post by OrnithopodaistheBest »

So they're really driving home the point that earthly kaiju are already naturally-ocurring fauna on this world. Unusual, yes, but still animals at the end of the day. And all it takes is just a parasite infection to make them grow jumbo-sized and start wrecking stuff up. Good setup tbh.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

After YouPi separated and then scouted with Yuma, I fear that the “I’m You-Bot not YouPi” thing will be a gag that’s beaten to death every episode. I did also enjoy the coffee bit. I’m fairly optimistic off the bat though.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Saturndusk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:13 pm After YouPi separated and then scouted with Yuma, I fear that the “I’m You-Bot not YouPi” thing will be a gag that’s beaten to death every episode. I did also enjoy the coffee bit. I’m fairly optimistic off the bat though.
I was a little hestitant and worried about YouPi. It's too much of a silly and cutesy design.

However, then I realized that believe it or not, it's a realistic depiction of modern robots. Some robots are much "colder", but a lot of robots that are intended to regularly be seen and interact with humans have cutesy and slightly childish designs. YouPi feels like it could exist within 5-10 years.

I do look forward to the inevitable episode when youPi turns evil. With a few small changes the design has potential to be bulky and intimidating.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:28 pm
Saturndusk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:13 pm After YouPi separated and then scouted with Yuma, I fear that the “I’m You-Bot not YouPi” thing will be a gag that’s beaten to death every episode. I did also enjoy the coffee bit. I’m fairly optimistic off the bat though.
I was a little hestitant and worried about YouPi. It's too much of a silly and cutesy design.

However, then I realized that believe it or not, it's a realistic depiction of modern robots. Some robots are much "colder", but a lot of robots that are intended to regularly be seen and interact with humans have cutesy and slightly childish designs. YouPi feels like it could exist within 5-10 years.

I do look forward to the inevitable episode when youPi turns evil. With a few small changes the design has potential to be bulky and intimidating.
I felt the same about the look but it’s just the personality and presentation of it that I’m wary of crossing into cringe territory.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Angilasman
Gotengo Officer

Post by Angilasman »

In a way, the first episode of Arc reminds me of Blazar's!

Both feel very confident, like the show is fully fleshed out from the beginning.

OrnithopodaistheBest
GPN Volunteer

Aah, just love seeing a new goofy aah pachyderm monster lol. Was Leodo really made from a tweaked Black King costume tho?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh this was cool! Loved how a chunk is from Arc's pov then the monster's. I like that it seemed like he was putting him back to sleep only to get pulled down and went "nah you die."

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

OrnithopodaistheBest wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 6:30 pm Aah, just love seeing a new goofy aah pachyderm monster lol. Was Leodo really made from a tweaked Black King costume tho?
Absolutely, the main body is Black King. Bandai even took reference to that and just reworked the Black King sofubi to him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I thought episode 2 was a very standard Ultraman episode. Person believes/warns of a monster, sure enough the monster is there. Meanwhile the cast uncover a secret weakness rooted in some form of legend. We’ve seen it many times before.

The thing that elevated it though, was the action. I thought the fight was really well down. It’s not just the pov shots, but the unique abilities both combatants use. Even if it’s a reused Black King, Leobo is really cool with its ability to shoot sludge out. The way that they represented this with practical effects, and then showed the sludge burn things was really neat. For a monster in the second episode it had a bunch of cool abilities.

I also liked how the fight continued a little more after the secret weakness was applied. I don’t entirely love it when an ultra/monster is fighting something and only through an exterior device they auto win. This felt like a nice compromise and I like that arc went out of his way to save Youpi.

It feels like this and episode one are really standard episodes in order to build up towards something greater. The choice to have episode 1+2 be like this, what someone would expect from an ultra show, before transitioning to the next episode-which appears to be the origin episode, is curious. The next episode looks great; I love the alien design.

So far Ultraman Arc has had really solid monster designs and action. It needs just something a little more to make me enjoy it as Blazar or Z.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:25 am So far Ultraman Arc has had really solid monster designs and action. It needs just something a little more to make me enjoy it as Blazar or Z.
Usually the seasons deliver long term, short term they got to setup things and display the newest Ultraman.

Really enjoyed episode 2, also your mentioned second act of the fight was a pleasure for sure. Loved how they filmed the fall and the transition to the rainbow arc. Looking forward to the next episodes and even more so for
Spoiler:
King of Mons.

Heard the kaijus appearing in the first half were already fully leaked and it seems like KoM might appear later. Curious to whether he might even be worked into a two-parter? After all he's quite powerful... they could even make one episode with him and it ending on the cliffhanger of giving birth to Bajiris and Scylla, thus leading to episode two where Arc has to face three kaijus and can take advantage of King of Mons's only known weakness so far.

OrnithopodaistheBest
GPN Volunteer

Dyrakro wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:21 am Usually the seasons deliver long term, short term they got to setup things and display the newest Ultraman.

Really enjoyed episode 2, also your mentioned second act of the fight was a pleasure for sure. Loved how they filmed the fall and the transition to the rainbow arc. Looking forward to the next episodes and even more so for
Spoiler:
King of Mons.

Heard the kaijus appearing in the first half were already fully leaked and it seems like KoM might appear later. Curious to whether he might even be worked into a two-parter? After all he's quite powerful... they could even make one episode with him and it ending on the cliffhanger of giving birth to Bajiris and Scylla, thus leading to episode two where Arc has to face three kaijus and can take advantage of King of Mons's only known weakness so far.
Besides...
Spoiler:
Would be a wasted oportunity to not bring Gaia as a guest.