Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
gabara
Ronin

Re: Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

Post by gabara »

CheetoKamper wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:34 pm You know I originaly thought the Godzilla suit was really ugly but I've actualy grown to love this suit it's probably in my top 5 now. The face really isn't all that bad and personaly of all the showa suits this Godzilla has my favorite spikes.
I liked Godzillas suit but not minilla's the other designs were well made my favorite designs in the movie were Kumonga and Kamacuras.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I agree that Kumonga looked great. The puppeteers also did a fine job making the spider's movements seem natural.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

gabara
Ronin

Post by gabara »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:05 pm
gabara wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:50 pm The kamacuras should have killed minilla I hate him that small piece of trash is horrible gabara will always be a better Kaiju. kumonga was best Kaiju in the film tho and the plot was okay I just despise minilla.
Are you roleplaying as Gabara? If so, carry on. If not, what exactly is it you hate about Minilla?
he just annoys me as he's never useful in the films and he's very ugly. they should have gotten minilla a better suit

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gabara wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:10 pm
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:05 pm
gabara wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:50 pm The kamacuras should have killed minilla I hate him that small piece of trash is horrible gabara will always be a better Kaiju. kumonga was best Kaiju in the film tho and the plot was okay I just despise minilla.
Are you roleplaying as Gabara? If so, carry on. If not, what exactly is it you hate about Minilla?
he just annoys me as he's never useful in the films and he's very ugly. they should have gotten minilla a better suit
Thankfully he got a better one:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Never useful? He saved one of the main human characters from a Kamacuras, turned the tide of both Godzilla's battles with Kumonga, one-shotted Ghidorah, and helped Ichiro learn to fight his own battles y'know. There are a lot of kaiju who wish they had a resume that impressive.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

gabara
Ronin

Post by gabara »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:17 am Never useful? He saved one of the main human characters from a Kamacuras, turned the tide of both Godzilla's battles with Kumonga, one-shotted Ghidorah, and helped Ichiro learn to fight his own battles y'know. There are a lot of kaiju who wish they had a resume that impressive.
That thing is a putrid creature I mean sure he did that but he also threw temper tantrums, forgot how to even use normal atomic breath after son of Godzilla, and it would be best if he didn't exist. They could have made him better I think they should have designed him like godzilla jr. in the hesei era. and they should have made him better. there are some scenes where minilla isn't being a little runt and is actually likeable but he could have been better.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Can we, I don't know, boost the level of maturity a little so we're not doing this thing where the Son of Godzilla thread turns into "OMG Minya is so stooped. He's such a turd. I hate him!" silliness that's better left on Reddit?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

To change the subject then...

When we first see the Kamacura, they look dark green in color, which fits with a predator using camouflage. The giants we see after the storm are red. Does anyone else think the heat did this? I know these creatures aren't lobsters, but the heat, in theory, could have triggered a color change, like it does with lobsters. I suppose it also makes the puppets more visible against the green jungle.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

This movie unironically made me like Minilla more. He still looks horrific but in a goofy, endearing sort of way. This was actually the only Godzilla film I had never seen for a long time, and only in the past few years did I get around to watching it.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ I had a pretty similar experience. I saw SoG once in 2006, in the middle of the night, and I couldn't stay awake through it. That doesn't even count. My first real viewing wasn't until 2020 via the Criterion disk, and yeah, it dramatically boosted my opinion of Minya. The suit actor does a great job of bringing him to life and infusing him with believable little kid energy and emotion. I can absolutely understand why that isn't what everyone wants from a kaiju, but it works in the context of this movie. I like the variety you get from Showa kaiju, whether it's a vengeful god-beast, a sadistic-but-stupid villain, a fighter too stubborn to ever admit defeat, or a silly kid trying to prove he's tough enough to hang with the grown-ups.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Son of Godzilla is one of those movies I love for what it adds to the franchise more than I feel at times I love the movie. The climax is fantastic and carries it a lot for me, more than I would say for a lot of the other Showa films. I'm also really fond of the 'giant mantis' before they become Kamacuras and wish they'd explored that angle a little first. I do like some of the whimsical bits in the middle but they don't feel like they support the overall film as much as the final act does.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

All this talk about SOG makes me realize I haven't seen it lately. I will have to remedy that.

Carrerasaurus
Yojimbo

Post by Carrerasaurus »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:24 pm To change the subject then...

When we first see the Kamacura, they look dark green in color, which fits with a predator using camouflage. The giants we see after the storm are red. Does anyone else think the heat did this? I know these creatures aren't lobsters, but the heat, in theory, could have triggered a color change, like it does with lobsters. I suppose it also makes the puppets more visible against the green jungle.
If stock footage from Vs. Gigan is anything to go by, those three Kamacuras we see in SoG aren't the only ones that exist. Perhaps we just conveniently never got to see the green mantises after the storm. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I never really noticed the color change though, especially because the picture of the Giant Praying Mantis in the main site makes it look red/brown to me. O.o

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Too bad there were no daytime shots of the giant mantis before the storm.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Carrerasaurus wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:30 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:24 pm To change the subject then...

If stock footage from Vs. Gigan is anything to go by, those three Kamacuras we see in SoG aren't the only ones that exist. Perhaps we just conveniently never got to see the green mantises after the storm. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I never really noticed the color change though, especially because the picture of the Giant Praying Mantis in the main site makes it look red/brown to me. O.o
I've never noticed the color change, but perhaps that might explain the bizarre amount of Kamacuras toys that are green with reddish highlights.

To me, the Kamacuras being red-orange really makes them stand out from just being ordinary mantises. I understand why the Kamacuras are the definitive Godzilla jobbers but they're cool monsters and I like the puppetry that went into them. I always forget they can fly for some reason, and I like the brief moments we see of that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.