Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

Post by JVM »

Getting hard to find unique photos...

Fresh off rewatching the movie I have mixed thoughts. MechaGodzilla feels more like a vehicle than a character in the way Kiryu and the original MechaGodzilla feel. In the earlier portions of the movie he was stiff and honestly boring, only spamming beams and not moving. But during the final battle he really pops out as a character and becomes much more respectable and well, interesting. But it's a shame his first battle is so short and boring compared to his later appearance in the film in which he actually moves quite a bit and really fights with Godzilla.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

JVM wrote:Getting hard to find unique photos...

Fresh off rewatching the movie I have mixed thoughts. MechaGodzilla feels more like a vehicle than a character
Well,its a MACHINE(animated Kikaider:JUST A MACHIIIIIIIINE!!!) after all.

BTW i like the design and the ''character'' even if i like Kiryu and MechaGodzilla 74-75 more.

Sure,i wonder why it didn't moved during the first round with Godzilla but even MechaGodzilla 74-75 was a beam spammer and didn't moved much either(except when it was in disguise).
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

First off, I really disliked the movie. However, I didn't think Mechagodzilla was that bad. I didn't like the absence of the up-close-and-personal fighting style of the '74 version, or the personality of Kiryu, but his execution worked for his role. He was, for all intents and purposes, a giant tank, so really his main function would be to blast away at Godzilla until the cows came home. He's not all that bad, just his movie, that's all.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Ah man, Heisei posters are the BEST and should be used for the DVD covers IMO...
JVM wrote:MechaGodzilla feels more like a vehicle than a character
Indeed. I always found his lack of personality refreshing, actually.

I haven't seen this movie in a good nine years, but it was one of my top three favorites back then and I remember a few scenes quite vividly. I just ordered Sony's DVD, this will be the first time I see a Heisei film in Japanese (slowly working my way to no more dubs!).
Last edited by tymon on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Tyler wrote:I kind of like him actually, although he looked cooler on the poster:

I like those arms.
Dude,that poster is pure awesomess.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

shinmattiathekaiju wrote:
Tyler wrote:I kind of like him actually, although he looked cooler on the poster:

I like those arms.
I have a poster with this picture on it, but not with the Japanese writing on it. This one is awesome.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Heisei Mechagodzilla is just another powerful monster/superweapon in a series already full of them, and everything he does is done so much better by Showa incarnation and Kiryu. I don't think I outright hate this version, but it's my least favorite of the three Mechagodzillas. There's just nothing interesting about it.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Even Though This Incarnation of MechaGodzilla is´nt my favorite, I still think he looks cool
has good weapons,etc. If he appear in the movie like in the posters then i could change
my mind... :roll:
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

My least favorite Mechagodzilla. His firepower is cool, but they couldn't have given him some melee skills too? I do like that he actually moved like a machine though. I think his slow but steady movements gave him a sense of tank-like power.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

HayesAJones wrote:My least favorite Mechagodzilla. His firepower is cool, but they couldn't have given him some melee skills too?
This is the Heisei era we're talking about. ;)
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

^I get where he's coming from though. They were heavily relied upon in the Heisei series, and it would've been nice to see some variety.

This MG is my second favorite incarnation. It beats Kiryu because it was an obvious threat that nearly killed what was arguably the strongest Godzilla incarnation (not counting the 1995 "meltdown" form). Its firepower was insanely powerful.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Easly my favorite incarnation next to Kiryu. Awesome design, cool set of powers and one of the strongest in the Heisei series.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This MG is adequate. The machine was good as a mobile weapons platform, but uninteresting as a MG.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

We don't know the extent to which Futurian technology had on the global economy. Infact, it's probably what made Japan into a economic superpower capable of buying chunks of South America to begin with. The presence of Futurian technology also creates a nice little cover story for "Why does everyone stay in Japan with yearly visits from a malevolent atomic powered death machine?" and "How can they rebuild so quickly?" It's probably my favorite part of the Heisei canon.

Mechagodzilla would have been aided by having a more rickety and less "clean" design. It looks even more high-tech the Mecha-King Ghidorah, which is just backwards.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

There's a cut scene from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla of Mechagodzilla battling King Ghidorah, Godzilla, and Mothra in a combat simulation. It was really cool and really weird looking and it's a shame they didn't keep it in.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Biollante
JXSDF Technician

Post by Biollante »

TokyoVigilante wrote:There's a cut scene from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla of Mechagodzilla battling King Ghidorah, Godzilla, and Mothra in a combat simulation. It was really cool and really weird looking and it's a shame they didn't keep it in.
Link to a video of it?

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

TokyoVigilante wrote:We don't know the extent to which Futurian technology had on the global economy. Infact, it's probably what made Japan into a economic superpower capable of buying chunks of South America to begin with. The presence of Futurian technology also creates a nice little cover story for "Why does everyone stay in Japan with yearly visits from a malevolent atomic powered death machine?" and "How can they rebuild so quickly?" It's probably my favorite part of the Heisei canon.

Mechagodzilla would have been aided by having a more rickety and less "clean" design. It looks even more high-tech the Mecha-King Ghidorah, which is just backwards.
This is a good point.

And really, it's not like MG's the biggest stretch of imagination when it comes to Japan's military forces in the Godzilla films. As mentioned, rebuilding the same town yearly is pretty expensive in itself, even ignoring everything else - especially looking back at the Showa timeline, where it took beatings in more than twenty films.

Also I too would love to see such a deleted scene
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v17866738tyCY5Xdk

So I half lied. It's not Mechagodzilla, just Garuda. And there's no King Ghidorah, it's Rodan.

Also the blonde haired chick says "Boogy" instead of "Bogey". I laughed.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Really? Yikes! Boy is my face red.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

I think Heisei MG is awesome. He's one of the only cold, emotionless killing machines in the G-franchise, and his lack of melee skill serves to show that he's not unstoppable and oevrpowered, and it does prove to be his downfall various times. I like a monster with pros and cons that are actually reflected and well-identified in the movie itself. His design is suitably cold and neutral too, with a simplistic metal sheen, no overly pointed edges, enhancing his 'personality' (or lack thereof).
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.