Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

Postby JVM » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 pm

Getting hard to find unique photos...

Fresh off rewatching the movie I have mixed thoughts. MechaGodzilla feels more like a vehicle than a character in the way Kiryu and the original MechaGodzilla feel. In the earlier portions of the movie he was stiff and honestly boring, only spamming beams and not moving. But during the final battle he really pops out as a character and becomes much more respectable and well, interesting. But it's a shame his first battle is so short and boring compared to his later appearance in the film in which he actually moves quite a bit and really fights with Godzilla.
JVM
I miss Vega

Favourite Kaiju: Varan

Re: Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 pm

They got the unstopable even for a kaiju feeling right and he has some pretty nefty weapons but his total lack of character and T&C skills just kills it for me. I do like the idea that he can have upgrads on him (Garuda) to give him extra firepower and make him more mobile.

Also found a cool cutaway for anyone interested.

Nice to actually see what the PG generator looks like instead of just the lens.

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby shinmattiathekaiju » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:30 am

JVM wrote:Getting hard to find unique photos...

Fresh off rewatching the movie I have mixed thoughts. MechaGodzilla feels more like a vehicle than a character

Well,its a MACHINE(animated Kikaider:JUST A MACHIIIIIIIINE!!!) after all.

BTW i like the design and the ''character'' even if i like Kiryu and MechaGodzilla 74-75 more.

Sure,i wonder why it didn't moved during the first round with Godzilla but even MechaGodzilla 74-75 was a beam spammer and didn't moved much either(except when it was in disguise).
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1
shinmattiathekaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:08 am

I kind of like him actually, although he looked cooler on the poster:

I like those arms.
One more week 'til Halloween,
Halloween, Halloween.
Silver Shamrock

Tyler
Anung Un Rama

Geiger Counter

Team: BPRD
Favourite Kaiju: Rodan

Postby therealmccoy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 am

First off, I really disliked the movie. However, I didn't think Mechagodzilla was that bad. I didn't like the absence of the up-close-and-personal fighting style of the '74 version, or the personality of Kiryu, but his execution worked for his role. He was, for all intents and purposes, a giant tank, so really his main function would be to blast away at Godzilla until the cows came home. He's not all that bad, just his movie, that's all.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/
therealmccoy
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tymon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:52 am

^Ah man, Heisei posters are the BEST and should be used for the DVD covers IMO...

JVM wrote:MechaGodzilla feels more like a vehicle than a character

Indeed. I always found his lack of personality refreshing, actually.

I haven't seen this movie in a good nine years, but it was one of my top three favorites back then and I remember a few scenes quite vividly. I just ordered Sony's DVD, this will be the first time I see a Heisei film in Japanese (slowly working my way to no more dubs!).
tymon
EDF Soldier

Postby shinmattiathekaiju » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 am

Tyler wrote:I kind of like him actually, although he looked cooler on the poster:

I like those arms.

Dude,that poster is pure awesomess.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1
shinmattiathekaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby therealmccoy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:01 pm

shinmattiathekaiju wrote:
Tyler wrote:I kind of like him actually, although he looked cooler on the poster:

I like those arms.

I have a poster with this picture on it, but not with the Japanese writing on it. This one is awesome.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/
therealmccoy
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby NSZ » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:18 pm

My Willing Suspension of Disbelief for the Heisei series ended here. Showa MechaGodzilla I can believe because it's built by aliens. This? I'd rather be put in a skreeonk padded cell than to try and comprehend why the UN just decided to bankrupt the entire skreeonk planet.
TK's resident Burt Gummer.

NSZ
Dragon Slayer

Geiger Counter

Team: K-Science
Favourite Kaiju: Nerogiras

Postby Arrow » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Heisei Mechagodzilla is just another powerful monster/superweapon in a series already full of them, and everything he does is done so much better by Showa incarnation and Kiryu. I don't think I outright hate this version, but it's my least favorite of the three Mechagodzillas. There's just nothing interesting about it.
Arrow
Futurian

Postby Giga Kaiju » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:17 pm

Even Though This Incarnation of MechaGodzilla is´nt my favorite, I still think he looks cool
has good weapons,etc. If he appear in the movie like in the posters then i could change
my mind... :roll:
Unstoppable Fury , Unthinkable Power , Unbreakable Will.

tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!

Giga Kaiju
Black Dragon Emperor

Geiger Counter

Postby HayesAJones » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:23 pm

My least favorite Mechagodzilla. His firepower is cool, but they couldn't have given him some melee skills too? I do like that he actually moved like a machine though. I think his slow but steady movements gave him a sense of tank-like power.
Cruel, devious, pure as venom.
All hell's broken loose.
HayesAJones
Demon of Vengeance

Team: Team Pumpkinhead
Favourite Kaiju: Anguirus

Postby tymon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:47 pm

HayesAJones wrote:My least favorite Mechagodzilla. His firepower is cool, but they couldn't have given him some melee skills too?

This is the Heisei era we're talking about. ;)
tymon
EDF Soldier

Postby Showa Gyaos » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:38 pm

^I get where he's coming from though. They were heavily relied upon in the Heisei series, and it would've been nice to see some variety.

This MG is my second favorite incarnation. It beats Kiryu because it was an obvious threat that nearly killed what was arguably the strongest Godzilla incarnation (not counting the 1995 "meltdown" form). Its firepower was insanely powerful.
Gawdziller wrote:Elizabeth Olsen's Army of Darkness skeleton impersonation was pretty painful to sit through.

Oh wait, that was just Elizabeth Olsen.

Showa Gyaos
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby Breakdown » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Easly my favorite incarnation next to Kiryu. Awesome design, cool set of powers and one of the strongest in the Heisei series.
Vatarian wrote:When the movie comes out on DVD,I'm going to frame a screenshot of his death-grimace and mount it on my wall next to the vial of tears I collected from a thousand angry Broni Friendzonis ranting about how Prime's an amoral psychopath and Bay violated their childhood like some sort of ancient Babylonian sex-demon.

Twinkle twinkle little star; how I wonder what you are...

Breakdown
Enhanced Slasher

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Team: Stunticons
Favourite Kaiju: Baragon, Gigan, Mechagodzilla, Godzilla, King Seesar

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:16 pm

This MG is adequate. The machine was good as a mobile weapons platform, but uninteresting as a MG.
edgaguirus
EDF Soldier

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:55 pm

NSZ wrote:My Willing Suspension of Disbelief for the Heisei series ended here. Showa MechaGodzilla I can believe because it's built by aliens. This? I'd rather be put in a skreeonk padded cell than to try and comprehend why the UN just decided to bankrupt the entire skreeonk planet.

They did build him from Mecha-King Ghidorah.
Halloween, Halloween.
Silver Shamrock

Tyler
Anung Un Rama

Geiger Counter

Team: BPRD
Favourite Kaiju: Rodan

Postby NSZ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 pm

Tyler wrote:
NSZ wrote:My Willing Suspension of Disbelief for the Heisei series ended here. Showa MechaGodzilla I can believe because it's built by aliens. This? I'd rather be put in a skreeonk padded cell than to try and comprehend why the UN just decided to bankrupt the entire skreeonk planet.

They did build him from Mecha-King Ghidorah.

All the movie indicated was that they studied what made MKG functional, and I seriously doubt there was enough usable metal left to build something like MechaG after being blasted repeatedly and left to rust under the ocean for a year. So between the amount of metal used in the creation process, the artificial diamond coating, the amount of electricity used to make the thing function, the amount of fuel it would need to make it flight worthy and keep said flight sustained, and whatever the hell else it needed for it's fancy weapon systems, the planet as a whole should have been thrown into deep, hard bankruptcy, cause with all the previous monster attacks, there's no way in hell this Earth was doing financially well to begin with. And it was all for naught, all cuz they didn't factor in the existence of other monsters. *buries face in palms* The government officials in these movies are just as incompetent here as they are in real life, if not more.

I'm sorry, but the idea of a human-made MechaG is just too ridiculous. Should've just stuck with the Super-X program.
TK's resident Burt Gummer.

NSZ
Dragon Slayer

Geiger Counter

Team: K-Science
Favourite Kaiju: Nerogiras

Postby TokyoVigilante » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:32 pm

We don't know the extent to which Futurian technology had on the global economy. Infact, it's probably what made Japan into a economic superpower capable of buying chunks of South America to begin with. The presence of Futurian technology also creates a nice little cover story for "Why does everyone stay in Japan with yearly visits from a malevolent atomic powered death machine?" and "How can they rebuild so quickly?" It's probably my favorite part of the Heisei canon.

Mechagodzilla would have been aided by having a more rickety and less "clean" design. It looks even more high-tech the Mecha-King Ghidorah, which is just backwards.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury
TokyoVigilante
EDF Soldier

Postby Living Corpse » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:44 pm

And it was all for naught, all cuz they didn't factor in the existence of other monsters. *buries face in palms* The government officials in these movies are just as incompetent here as they are in real life, if not more.

That's something that always bugged me about anti-kaiju armies. They always make their weapons specifically to fight Godzilla and almost never other monsters. I know Godzilla attacks the most often and was the first monster to show up, the one that has plaguad them the longest but god damn it there are far more worse monsters out there that they should focus on killing first, monsters capable of destroying an entire planet's biosphere. :lol:

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Next

Return to Heisei Series (80's-98)