Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
MothraRocks
Futurian

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)

Post by MothraRocks »

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe

So, I just looked through these pages and I didn't see a topic specifically for this so...

I really liked Gamera: Guardian of the Universe, it was still Gamera, but with origins of more interest, the return of one of his most famous enemies and this time it wasn't all about children.

I must say, I loved his fireballs, but what really got me was that Gyaos actually were SCARY; they were these monsters that flew around and ate people and animals without hesitation, and tore them apart. The feeling of the film was pretty dark, and the characters were all enjoyable.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by MothraRocks on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Re: Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)

Post by Julia Bristow »

I've seen the film only a couple of times and it is a good film and a film that the Heisei Godzilla films should've been. It had a good script, amazing speical effects and characters that people actually care about and though the Gamera suit looked a little friendly (well the eyes) it was an awesome design and Gayos was pretty bad ass.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I like how the action sequences are based around speed, which was a pretty radical change of the ponderous beam-warring status quo that the Heisei Godzilla films established. The final battle, while a little rougher then what would come after in the likes of Gamera 2 and Gamera 3, is just incredible.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

Gamera 3 was my fave from this trilogy, but IMO I think this is one of the top 10 best Japanese monster movies ever made, and I've seen plenty of 'em. You cared for the characters, and the monsters were developed well also, something I like to see in these movies. 2 thumbs up for this one, and while I'm at it, 9/10. :D
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Biollante
JXSDF Technician

Post by Biollante »

I bought the Mill's Creek blu ray for Guardian of the Universe/Gamera 2 not too long ago, it was my first time watching a Gamera film. Personally I thought the characters were forgettable and not very fleshed out (much like the character interaction in Gamera 2) but it was very entertaining, more so than the Heisei Godzilla series excluding Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Biollante.

One thing I find interesting about Gamera's character, which I wasn't very fond of at first, is how he seems like a bit of a pushover to the monster he's fighting then completely changes the tide of the fight by doing something extraordinary. Now I'm waiting for Gamera 3. :?

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

I've always loved the Gamera design and character growing up, even though I didn't see any Gamera films until about a month ago when I bought the Mill Creek Blu-Ray. I prefer Gamera: Guardian of the Universe over Gamera 2: Advent of Legion by far, despite the second installment's improved special effects and kaiju designs.
Biollante wrote:I bought the Mill's Creek blu ray for Guardian of the Universe/Gamera 2 not too long ago, it was my first time watching a Gamera film. Personally I thought the characters were forgettable and not very fleshed out (much like the character interaction in Gamera 2) but it was very entertaining, more so than the Heisei Godzilla series excluding Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Biollante.
This.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I enjoyed this one. Seeing the Showa Gameras, I was surprised that it wasn't about kids and had a serious tone. The Gyaos were terrifying creatures, and final fight was one of the top monster battles I've seen. The battle is energetic and a pleasing mix of beams and TC. The way they handled the child connection was mature, in my opinion. We don't have Kenji and his shorts acting like Gamera's cheerleader, but a character that also suffers in her support of Gamera.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

I love this movie. I think I might be a bit of a freak since this one's actually my favorite of the trilogy, rather than 2 or 3, which most people seem to prefer. :P
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

The heisei movies post-King Ghidorah should have been just like the Gamera Trilogy,except a heroic and incoherent Godzilla.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

SuperMonsterZero wrote:I love this movie. I think I might be a bit of a freak since this one's actually my favorite of the trilogy, rather than 2 or 3, which most people seem to prefer. :P
You are not alone. I've heard plenty of people say that this was the best, and maybe it is. I personally didn't get into 2, and I've heard people say that 3 is pretty dry (Plus it leaves you with a great big WTF! at the ending :evil: ). Guardian probably is the better of the three in terms of SPFX and character development. I can't give a reason why I choose 3 over this one. :?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

SuperMonsterZero wrote:I love this movie. I think I might be a bit of a freak since this one's actually my favorite of the trilogy, rather than 2 or 3, which most people seem to prefer. :P
Gamera 3 is a darker more mature kaiju film than any of the other Gamera films, but I totally get why you prefer 1 over the others. Its the most exciting and enjoyable one and therefore the most fun to watch. (2 was ok but probably my least favorite of the trilogy)

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I thought the revamped origin for Gamera was perfect.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

Showa Gyaos wrote:I thought the revamped origin for Gamera was perfect.
I actually think that was probably one of the best storylines in the movie. As I said before, I really like it when monsters get actual character development, and they pulled it off perfectly in this one.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Guardian of the Universe is a great movie, the character development, Gamera Origins, the gyaos went from
from none to a bigger threat , the monster scenes, everything great.

I didnt expect the movie to be that good but in the end, i Enjoyed it And that is what matters.

4 **** out of 5.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

therealmccoy wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:I thought the revamped origin for Gamera was perfect.
I actually think that was probably one of the best storylines in the movie. As I said before, I really like it when monsters get actual character development, and they pulled it off perfectly in this one.
They took Gamera who was originally a basic Godzilla rip off in regards to hsi origins, and really made him his own character. GOTU is one of the best kaiju films.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

This movie is living proof that if you have passion for the material, then a good movie can come out of it. That's exactly what this film has over later Heisei Godzilla films is sheer unbridled passion for the genre. Even though I actually enjoy Godzilla VS Mechagodzilla (1993), even I'll admit that film drones whereas Gamera: Guardian of the Universe is extremely quick and to the point. Gamera 2 is one of my all-time favorite kaiju films, but Gamera: GOTU still shells out plenty of kick-assery in the final act.

Biollante
JXSDF Technician

Post by Biollante »

DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote: but Gamera: GOTU still shells out
ba dum tishhh

Dr. Nishiyama
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dr. Nishiyama »

It's my favorite of the three as well, but I can't put my finger on it as to why. It was a pretty solid trilogy. Maybe it has my favorite Gamera design. The end song by Bakufu Slump (Myth) might be another reason why. Almost 20 years on, I STILL can't find a translation of the lyrics!

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Dr. Nishiyama wrote:
It's my favorite of the three as well, but I can't put my finger on it as to why. It was a pretty solid trilogy. Maybe it has my favorite Gamera design. The end song by Bakufu Slump (Myth) might be another reason why . Almost 20 years on, I STILL can't find a translation of the lyrics!
That Song Is Awesome. I didnt know who sang it, thanks. :) :)
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

^That song was good. I also liked the one at the end of 3. It was kind of sad, but fit the movie well, just like the one in Guardian.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065