DVD/Blu-ray Ideas

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Re: Dream DVD/Blu-ray Ideas

Post by Gojira-Fan »

GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE - THREE DISC SPECIAL EDITON

-The cover would be the English VHS artwork, with THREE DISC SPECIAL EDITION on the top
-It would be a standard DVD case
-On the back would be film stills, dvd specs (including a full list of extras), and film synopsis
- still menus from shots of the film would be utulized, with music from the film's score

DISC ONE

- Japanese version presented in original aspect ratio. Video source could come from the new Toho HD prints.
-New English, Spanish and French subtitles would be commissioned for the Japanese version.
- In the Japanese version, you would have the ability to toggle the Japanese subtitles in the Japanese version on or off
- Audio for the film would be 2.0 Japanese stereo and 5.1 Japanese surround-sound (taken from the R2)
- Audio Commentary from the R2 (The audio commentary could be subtitled in English, Spanish or French)

DISC TWO

- International version, painstakingly remastered from the best possible source in the original aspect ratio
- English, Spanish and French subtitles would be commissioned for the International version
- Audio would be the original 2.0 stereo, as well as a newly mastered 5.1 surround-sound mix
- New audio commentary for the international version with Steve Ryfle, Ed Godziszewski, David Kalat and Stuart Galbraith (the audio commentary can be subtitled in English, Spanish or French)

DISC THREE

- 50 minute "The Making of Godzilla Vs. Biollante" from R2, with optional subtitles (English/Spanish/French)
- Video commentaries of models of Biollante and Super X-II from R2, with optional subtitles (English/Spanish/French)
-Theatrical and Teaser Trailers from R2, with optional subtitles (English/Spanish/French)
-Photo galleries from R2 with new captions created just for the DVD
-"Bringing Godzilla Vs. Biollante to America" New documentary interviewing the cast and crew involved in the dubbed (subtitled if need be). As well as talking to the employees of Mirax and HBO talking about bringing the film over for release in 1992 on VHS. As well, the documentary would talk about the film's troubled copright-issue in the United States.
-Newly produced interview with Koichi Kawakita with optional subtitles (English/Spanish/French)
Newly produced interview with Megumi Odaka with optional subtitles (English/Spanish/French)
-Newly produced interview with composers Koichi Sugiyama and Yuki Saito with optional subtitles (English/Spanish/French)
-Newly produced interview with cinematographer Yudai Kato with optional subtitles (English/Spanish/French)
-Newly produced interview with editor Michiko Ikeda with optional subtitles (English/Spanish/French)
- Godzilla Animal Planet documentary with optional subtitles (English/Spanish/French)

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

^ Nice idea, but do we have to have 2 discs worth of the same movie with the same running time? If anything, why put both versions one disc ( for Blu-ray) via streamless branching and add the dub for extra kicks. Its more cost-effective. :P

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

The Dark Uniter wrote:^ Nice idea, but do we have to have 2 discs worth of the same movie with the same running time? If anything, why put both versions one disc ( for Blu-ray) via streamless branching and add the dub for extra kicks. Its more cost-effective. :P
Well, I just think it might work better to put both versions on seperate discs because neither version would have to get compressed (like how the English versions on the CM DVDs would always get compressed). And seeing as this is a dream DVD that will never get made, I don't see any reason to be cost-effective (especially considering all that imaginary-new content I came up with is quite the opposite of cost-effective).

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

^^True, but a dream DVD would be cheaper, thus less discs. Seamless branching allows you to have both versions on one disc while not really compressing anything - Only the scenes that differ between the two (the titles, Japanese subtitles in the original version) would be separate video tracks.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

KING KONG VS. GODZILLA DVD/Blu-ray

DISC 1: THE ORIGINAL JAPANESE VERSION
- both the theatrical and 1970 Toho Champion Festival versions
- the remastered HD transfer from Toho in 2.35:1 widescreen
- Japanese mono, 4.0 stereo and 5.1 surround audio options for the theatrical version, Japanese mono audio for the Champion Festival version (plus possible dubs)
- English subtitles (and a set of others for the Blu-ray)
- audio commentary with Koji Kajita and Yu Fujiki for the theatrical version (from the R2 Toho DVD; subtitled in English)
- isolated music score in both mono and 4.0 stereo
- original Japanese and international trailers (subtitled in English)
- new interviews (like Tadao Takashima, Kenji Sahara, Mie Hama, Akiko Wakabayashi, Haruo Nakajima, Teruyoshi Nakano and Koichi Kawakita; subtitled in English)
- footage from the Toho out-takes VHS
- B Time 10 Sheet Poster (from the R2 Toho DVD; subtitled in English)
- Sonosheet "The Great Fierce Decisive Measure" (from the R2 Toho DVD; subtitled in English)
- image galleries (posters, film stills, storyboards etc.)

DISC 2: THE US AND GERMAN VERSIONS
- the US version in 2.35:1 widescreen
- English mono and newly created 5.1 surround audio options (plus possible dubs)
- audio commentary with a film historian or two
- isolated music score
- the German version in 2.35:1 widescreen
- German mono audio
- English subtitles
- original US and German trailers
- image galleries
Last edited by G-Matt on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

The Dark Uniter wrote:And finally, proper releases of Prophecies of Nostradamus and Half Human in a Toho lost films edition. Basically both films would include American and Japanese cuts, original trailers, a photo gallery, commentary, posters of the films, accurate subs and newly remastered prints.
I'll try to expend on the idea:

TOHO LOST FILMS COLLECTION: HALF HUMAN & PROPHECIES OF NOSTRADAMUS

Disc 1: HALF HUMAN
Half Human- American Cut
Half Human- Japanese Cut
Audio Commentary for the US and Japanese versions from a Kaiju Historian
Newly translated subtitles in English or other languages
New 2K Scans of the Films
Contains Loseless Mono for both films

DISC 2: HALF HUMAN EXTRAS:
US Trailers
Japanese Trailers
Poster Gallery
Photo Gallery
King Kong and Half Human Comparisons
Behind the Scenes Multi-part Documentary on the making of Half Human
International Trailers from Other Countries (?)
Interviews with surviving cast members
Full Soundtrack for Half Human

DISC 3: PROPHECIES OF NOSTRADAMUS: INTERNATIONAL & JAPANESE CUTS
Japanese Cut
International Cut
Loseless Audio
Newly Created International Audio for scenes originally in English dubbed in Japanese
Newly Translated Subtitles in English and other languages
Newly Recorded Audio Commentary from the Film Crew ( Japanese cut)
Newly Recorded Audio Commentary from a Japanese Film Historian ( International cut)
New 2K Scans of the Films

DISC 4: PROPHECIES OF NOSTRDAMUS EXTRAS
UPA Version ( THE LAST DAYS OF THE PLANET EARTH)
Versions Comparison Video/ Chart
Photo Gallery
Poster Gallery
US Trailers
Japanese Trailers
International Trailers
Muti-Part Behind the Scenes for Prophecies of Nostradamus
Interviews with Surviving Crew Members
Interviews with Surviving Cast Members
Full Soundtrack for Prophecies of Nostradamus
International Titles Cards from the German and French versions
Separate Video for UPA Title Card

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ I really like those ideas, but it should be noted that the international version is (obviously) completely dubbed into English. "Newly created international audio" wouldn't really make any sense. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean exactly?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Goji wrote:^ I really like those ideas, but it should be noted that the international version is (obviously) completely dubbed into English. "Newly created international audio" wouldn't really make any sense. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean exactly?
During the United Nations like meeting in the Japanese version, the International actors are dubbed in Japanese but are originally speaking English. So my dream was that they can take that audio from the International version and "restore" it back in the Japanese cut.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

So, you mean to say it would be a bilingual version? That's pretty neat.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

^ Yeah, pretty much.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The Dark Uniter wrote:
Goji wrote:^ I really like those ideas, but it should be noted that the international version is (obviously) completely dubbed into English. "Newly created international audio" wouldn't really make any sense. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean exactly?
During the United Nations like meeting in the Japanese version, the International actors are dubbed in Japanese but are originally speaking English. So my dream was that they can take that audio from the International version and "restore" it back in the Japanese cut.
Gotcha. That sounds like an awesome idea actually. I'm sure Tamura would be up for it at some point. :D
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Actually, I was planning on doing that myself without Tamura's help. Just need the International print, only have the Japanese one.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I could still help you since I have the international version.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Tamura wrote:I could still help you since I have the international version.
Sweet, can you give a link, via PM?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Sure. Do you mind if it's PAL speed, or do you want me to slow it down for you?

Also, this is kind of relevant to the thread, but I color-corrected Toho's HD transfer of MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA and it looks impeccable.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Um, slow it down if you can.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA DVD/Blu-ray

DISC 1: THE ORIGINAL JAPANESE VERSION
- both the theatrical and 1980 re-release versions
- the remastered HD transfer from Toho in 2.35:1 widescreen
- Japanese mono and 5.1 surround audio options for the theatrical version, Japanese mono audio for the re-release version (plus possible dubs)
- English subtitles (and a set of other for the Blu-ray)
- audio commentary with Kenji Sahara for the theatrical version (from the R2 Toho DVD; subtitled in English)
- isolated music score
- original Japanese trailer(s) (subtitled in English)
- new interviews (like Akira Takarada, Yuriko Hoshi, Hiroshi Koizumi, Kenji Sahara, Emi and Yumi Ito, Haruo Nakajima and Teruyoshi Nakano; subtitled in English)
- footage from the Toho out-takes VHS
- introduction by Jean-Pierre Dionnet (from the R2 French DVD; subtitled in English)
- interview with Jean-Pierre Jackson (from the R2 French DVD; subtitled in English)
- Storybook (from the R2 Toho DVD; subtitled in English)
- image galleries (posters, film stills, storyboards etc.)

DISC 2: THE US AND GERMAN VERSIONS
- the US theatrical version in the most complete restored form, in 2.35:1 widescreen
- English mono and newly created 5.1 surround audio options
- audio commentary with Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski (from the R1 CM DVD)
- isolated music score
- the alternate Godzilla vs. Mothra title sequence
- the German version in 2.35:1 widescreen
- German mono audio
- English subtitles
- original US and German trailers
- image galleries
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Finally, the Heisei series...

GODZILLA (THE RETURN OF GODZILLA)

Disk 1
-HD transfer of the international version for the better part of the film (the Toho HD transfer is discolored beyond correction during some points)
-Japanese and international versions through seamless branching
-Japanese stereo and mono plus English mono. Also, a remixed stereo English track based on the Japanese stereo
-Isolated score
-International trailer and any other international materials, including materials from the film's release in territories that didn't receive the US version
-Audio gallery of miscellanea
-Early scripts/treatments
-Press conference videos
-All extras featured on the R2, along with any other behind the scenes features and promotional materials that can be found

Disk 2
-US theatrical version utilizing the Monsters HD transfer with missing sound effects and subtitles restored
-Optional BAMBI MEETS GODZILLA short attached to the film
-Mono and remixed stereo using stereo music and sound effects elements
-Commentary featuring one or two Japanese film experts and/or anybody who worked on the US version
-Trailers, TV and radio spots
-Photo gallery of posters, lobby cards, stills, pressbooks and other materials from the US release and releases in territories that received the US version
-Music video
-Dr. Pepper commercials
-Siskel and Ebert review
-Either an isolated score or an audio gallery and guide to the stock tracks

GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE

Disk 1:
-Sharpness, contrast and color-corrected Toho HD transfer for the better part of the film (or an HD transfer of an international print if it looks superior)
-Japanese and international versions (plus maybe an extended version) through seamless branching
-Japanese stereo plus English mono and a remixed English stereo track based on the Japanese stereo
-Isolated score (the music as it appears in the film, and in stereo unlike the Perfect Collection)
-International trailer(?) and any other international materials, including materials from the film's release in non-US territories
-Audio gallery of miscellanea (including the unedited suites and Ostinato cues)
-Early scripts/treatments
-All extras featured on the R2
-Any promotional materials not on the R2

Disk 2:
-Abridged tape of the international version with alternate dubbing
-Any behind the scenes features that have not already been mentioned
Last edited by Tamura on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Rockzilla »

Tamura wrote:Sure. Do you mind if it's PAL speed, or do you want me to slow it down for you?

Also, this is kind of relevant to the thread, but I color-corrected Toho's HD transfer of MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA and it looks impeccable.

You should upload that on cinemageddon.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

^That's the plan...

GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORAH

Disk 1:
-Transfer of Sony's print of the Japanese version
-Japanese and international versions (plus maybe an extended version) through seamless branching
-Japanese stereo plus English mono and a remixed English stereo track based on the Japanese stereo
-Isolated score
-International trailer(?) and any other international materials, including materials from the film's release in non-US territories
-Audio gallery of miscellanea
-CNN report
-All extras featured on the R2
-Any promotional materials not on the R2

Disk 2:
-Ifukube scoring the film
-Taped Robert Scott Field interviews
-Any behind the scenes features that have not already been mentioned
Last edited by Tamura on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.