Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Voyager »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:02 pm
VoyagerGoji wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:53 pm Not gonna and will never watch PR:TB.
Any particular reason why...

I have now changed my mind. I really want it now. I didn’t watch the trailer til now. In fact, i just watched the first two episodes, and I really like it! I like Taylor, Hayley and Loa, and I’m happy Australia is getting some attention in Kaiju Media.
Last edited by Voyager on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:16 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:04 pm
eabaker wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:02 pm

Wait, is there a way to pronounce "UwU"?
Ooh-woo.
Really, I heard it was oh-whoa.
Nah, that's OwO.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

"I will never buy/watch this thing" only to buy/watch the thing is such a classic move.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

tbeasley wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:54 pm "I will never buy/watch this thing" only to buy/watch the thing is such a classic move.
I guess I’m the classiest of the classy.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

tbeasley wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:54 pm "I will never buy/watch this thing" only to buy/watch the thing is such a classic move.
Not even two hours later too. It gave me a good laugh. Oh man... :lol:

Thanks, Voyager.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

It never occurred to me that Godzilla's atomic breath being blue, could be a reference to Cherenkov radiation.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:46 am It never occurred to me that Godzilla's atomic breath being blue, could be a reference to Cherenkov radiation.
That's definitely a possibility, although it's important to remember that early on Godzilla's breath/beam at various points was also clear. It may have also been chosen just to be visually distinct in the background. Cool idea though!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

"Cherenkov light" is used to describe Godzilla's iceberg in King Kong vs Godzilla.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

This is gonna be a super spicy take that for sure won't drum up any discussion...

I find that both Heisei Mechagodzilla and Kiryu are far too sleek designs for things that are man-made.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

NSZ wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:04 pm This is gonna be a super spicy take that for sure won't drum up any discussion...

I find that both Heisei Mechagodzilla and Kiryu are far too sleek designs for things that are man-made.
Eh, I agree. Especially Heisei MG. At least in Kiryu you got all them wires and stuff. The Showa MGs look more like man made weapons and the Heisei and Millennium MGs look like Aliens.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

NSZ wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:04 pm This is gonna be a super spicy take that for sure won't drum up any discussion...

Spoiler:
Defending the crappy Legendary design I see, that's cool lol.
But yeah, I agree...... BUT MGII is more probable than Kiryu. I never really liked Kiryu that much and believe it's waaaay overhyped to high hell. But MGII is to me damn near perfect
Spoiler:
and the Legendary MG just so MEH
that just screams lazy to ME. If anyone likes it hey that's great no judging here.
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

goji, spoiler tags, bruv.

Yeah, I agree too tbh. You honestly kind of nailed why I don't like the design.

I've grown to really hate Kiryu. I feel like ironically being the only Mechagodzilla with a straight up soul, he's the one with the least character by far, mainly thanks to the usual mediocre Tezuka execution.

RIP Evan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Ooops my bad lol

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

tbeasley wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:40 pm "Cherenkov light" is used to describe Godzilla's iceberg in King Kong vs Godzilla.
“Chunk of light???”
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:25 am goji, spoiler tags, bruv.

Yeah, I agree too tbh. You honestly kind of nailed why I don't like the design.

I've grown to really hate Kiryu. I feel like ironically being the only Mechagodzilla with a straight up soul, he's the one with the least character by far, mainly thanks to the usual mediocre Tezuka execution.
To me MG 2 does look man made. While it has weapons galore, it can't physically fight. The mech is stiff and hardly moves. Even the alien built MG was basically a weapons platform that had little melee skill. The creators of those mechs seemed more interested in power than an up close fight. At least Kiryu gives us a balance of physical and weapons capability, although I agree about the execution.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:04 am
Godzilla21 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:08 am
godjacob wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:46 am I mean people ship Godzilla/Mothra nowadays so it is just common among any fandoms weird as it can be.
I'm a little older than most here and BACK IN MY DAY WHEN I WALKED TO SCHOOL 3 MILES IN THE SNOW we never had any of this shipping stuff. Godzilla and Mothra were enemies and sometimes allies. Thats it! The way it should be. Hate to say it but it weirds me out all the art I see these days. One dude on Facebook posted it constantly so I blocked him.
I think the weirdest thing about it, aside from the fact that it's people treating blatantly animalistic creatures as if they were sitcom characters, is the weird "obligation" that Mothra, being one of the few female monsters, has to be romantically involved with the central character, Godzilla. It's made even worse when you realize that Mothra and Godzilla have been enemies more than they've been allies, so this weird revisionist history that they're "close friends" or whatever is so strange.
Actually, I’d argue that Godzilla and Mothra is one of the only compelling shipping concepts, precisely because they often don’t see eye to eye. Well, it would be compelling if they weren’t, you know, completely unhuman.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think from a Yin and Yang perspective, them being so similar yet so different is incredibly unique. Radioactivity and Nature, hand in hand.

Soon as you put a heart around them though? I draw the line, none of that is needed with kaiju unless they're the MUTOs or Gappas.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I don't really care whether or not people ship Godzilla and Mothra, honestly. The explicit art is pretty easy to avoid anyway.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I find such ships to be insanely cringeworthy and weird but I can't really say I hate them. Well, not passionately atleast. They just kinda exist and honestly can be avoided with ease. If someone's passion is to draw a giant radioactive Dinosaur and a Moth goddess in a relationship I could care less as long as it's as far as possible from anything official.

But Gong? This is where I draw the line. Fuck Gong :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:37 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:02 pm
VoyagerGoji wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:53 pm Not gonna and will never watch PR:TB.
Any particular reason why...

I have now changed my mind. I really want it now. I didn’t watch the trailer til now. In fact, i just watched the first two episodes, and I really like it! I like Taylor, Hayley and Loa, and I’m happy Australia is getting some attention in Kaiju Media.
I remember seeing somewhere that somewhere in Australia was going to be where Orga attacked in Gorgo, but they changed their minds because there wasn't anything big and impressive there for her to destroy (as least, I think that's what it was).