Talkback: Latitude Zero (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Battra2346
Monarch Researcher

Talkback: Latitude Zero (1969)

Post by Battra2346 »

Latitude Zero

Tyler wrote:I think this is the craziest movie Ishiro Honda ever directed. It's like a live-action Saturday morning cartoon (moreso than King Kong Escapes even). It has its own set of logic and everything. I really love it. It's one of those great "turn off your brain and enjoy the show" movies. But it doesn't look down on the audience (which was targeted towards children I sure) and the actors are very classy.

Now I do have one question... what's up with the ending? Everytime I watch the movie I completely forget about it and when it happens I'm have no idea what's going on. I don't know if I missed something or what but it's very puzzling. :?:

Now remember, everything is real in... LATITUDE ZERO!!
What you just said sums up what I think as well,except for the ending part.For some odd reason,Venture Brothers reminds me of this film.
It's a signature with words.What more can you want?

Starfishman
Monarch Researcher

Re: Latitude Zero (1969)

Post by Starfishman »

Never seen this film in it entireity but I've seen only a scant few clips of it on Youtube only but what clips I did see I have to say that it must seem like one craaaaaaazzzaaaaayyy ass flim

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

I have mixed feelings about this film. The action is fun and it is an extremely fitting final film for Eiji Tsuburaya's illustrious career. A few of the gaijin are having a clear blast (namely Caesar Romero), and the concept and execution is just so fun-loving. However, the film has a surprisingly dull pace (at least in my opinion), and the ending makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's like the writers wanted to come up with a plot twist at the end to give the audience some...food for thought or something, and instead ended up with a convoluted and highly unsatisfying finale. It really puts a damper on what was otherwise a very fun film.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

The ending is a bit odd... it throws the whole thing as being a curve ball like maybe it was a dream, only to confirm with the diamonds that it wasn't a dream after all. It does seem like they were going for something more profound, but its not executed in a way that really connects with the viewer other than as a slight WTF moment.

In terms of the film as a whole, I felt this one was okay but nothing too spectacular. It feels more like the science fiction adventure films that were coming out of the States at the time than Japan, which makes sense given the source material. Overall, not bad, but now that it's finally available on home video, I would say its not too memorable with the rarity of the film now out of the equation.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Decent movie, but I think it's one of those flicks that are easily forgotten.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Latitude Zero (1969)

Post by Julia Bristow »

What are your thoughts on Latitude Zero? I thought that it a fun & entertaining film. It had a great cast (especially Joesph Cotten & his performance), good special effects & an outstanding score by Akira Ifukube. Sure it may not be a truly great film but it is an enjoyable film and it has some rather neat monsters like the bats & the flying lion.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

I like Latitude Zero a lot. Very entertaining, great music and good special effects. Probably one of my favorite casts in a Toho film.

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

I just watched it 2 days ago, actually. It was a really fun movie. It was interesting to see Akira Takarada (who is one of my favorite sci-fi actors) speak english. Malic was a really cool villain. Dr. Barton was a little dry, but was ok. The creatures were really cool, too. Did I say it was a fun movie? I meant it was awesome. It's a good movie to spend an afternoon letting your imagination run wild.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I think it's a purely entertaining movie. I've read criticism stemming from it's ridiculous plot, but people looking to take this movie that seriously are totally missing the point. A solid 7.5/10 for me. Fun stuff. And for us Americans and (many) Canadians, we have the bonus of it having been shot in English from the get-go.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

The ending was kind of wierd. Seeing as how Perry had the diamonds in his bank it was like they were watching over him or something. I don't know, it was still a cool movie.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

I find it amusing that Malic have a cave full of Batmen, especially since the actor played the original Joker. I had no problems with the ending. Its totally up to the mind of the viewer of what happened at the end which is one of my favorite elements in the movie.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Tyler wrote:I'm still totally confused about the ending.
Yeah, that ending destroyed all enjoyment I had with the film up to that point almost single-handed. It literally makes absolutely no sense.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:I believe it was Galbraith who likened Latitude Zero to the classic Flash Gordon serials of the thirties, and it was an apt comparison. The lion costume, the fanciful ship designs, and the mustache-twirling villainy truly seem like a throwback to the golden age of the adventure fantasy. I'm a serial buff myself, and looking at LZ in this way only makes me enjoy it more. A solid 7/10.
LATITUDE ZERO was actually based on a radio serial.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

I wonder if the original radio serial was any different from the film version.

Monsterzero 1965
Monarch Researcher

Post by Monsterzero 1965 »

I couldn't find a recording of the serial but I did find this 1941 Time article on the serial: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 69,00.html

Edit: Scratch that, found the first episode: http://boxcars711.podomatic.com/player/ ... 7_36-07_00
Last edited by Monsterzero 1965 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I ran into a stream of the first episode once...

seanerry
Yojimbo

Post by seanerry »

The pacing in the movie is off. The fast-paced action in the beginning and end are counter-balanced by the dull scenes in Latitude Zero. The optical bat work looks idiotic and the Matte paintings are fantastic.

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

The volcano erupting in the middle of the ocean was really impressive, and one of my favorite effects shots of the whole movie. I watched how they did that on a documentary and it was fascinating.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

seanerry wrote:The pacing in the movie is off. The fast-paced action in the beginning and end are counter-balanced by the dull scenes in Latitude Zero. The optical bat work looks idiotic and the Matte paintings are fantastic.
There's like 3 versions of the film, I believe. 2 of them of course is in the Media Blasters set which is the original International version (109 mins) and the Japanese cut (85 mins). However, I've heard that Japan's release has a 3rd version that is 69 mins.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

The 69 min. version is the Champion Matsuri.