Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I have no idea what a Snow Godzilla is.
Shows up in a cameo in some unrelated 3D anime film. There's videos on youtube, I think.
Let me rephrase that: I now know what it is, and I don’t care.

Am I a Godzilla boomer now?
The Always Sunset on Third Street Godzilla was cooler anyway. :shrug:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I want a Ghidorah design with a cobra's hood on his necks.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I mainly like Snow Godzilla just cause it is a interesting element contrast to Legendry's Fire or Toho's Burning Godzilla.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gigantis wrote:I want a Ghidorah design with a cobra's hood on his necks.
Something that looks like a combo of KG and King Cobra from GTS?
Last edited by edgaguirus on Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

edgaguirus wrote:
Something that looks like a combo of KG and King Cobra from GTS?
I guess so yeah.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

1. I think Raptor-One from the Godzilla 2000 novel is the only anti-kaiju aircraft post Super-Xs to live up to the same standards as the Super-Xs. All others afterwards have been disappointing, either being killed in one shot or not playing much of a role in the plot. In fact I consider it a spiritual successor, almost a Super-X4. I would love it to be in a movie or a video game. I even made a Weapons Talkback about it.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 28&t=28578

2. I consider Moonlight SY-3 from Destroy All Monsters to be a prototype Super-X. a Showa Super-X0. It survived continuous fire of Godzilla's Atomic Breath, outpaced Rodan, survived direct contact with the Fire Dragon, fought it and was armed with freezer missiles.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly in some non-canon crossover that didn't mess with either continuities, a Pacific Rim/ Godzilla crossover might have worked, but i don't see it ever happening now.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Living Corpse wrote:
2. I consider Moonlight SY-3 from Destroy All Monsters to be a prototype Super-X. a Showa Super-X0. It survived continuous fire of Godzilla's Atomic Breath, outpaced Rodan, survived direct contact with the Fire Dragon, fought it and was armed with freezer missiles.
The SY-3 is a great prototype for the Heisei SX trio. It seems like Japanese sci fi films of the late 50s through the 70s had all sorts of advanced and interesting spacecraft and futuristic vehicles.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

godjacob wrote:I mainly like Snow Godzilla just cause it is a interesting element contrast to Legendry's Fire or Toho's Burning Godzilla.
I would like to see the concept reused in a toho movie. Maybe as "Ice Godzilla" and he shoots a beam of ice that freezes things, instead of blowing ice shards.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Here's a good one: Some of the best Showa Godzilla films have some of the worst posters. I don't hate them or anything, but they aren't the most appealing things in the world, either. The first three range from good to great, but then they stumble starting with Mothra vs. Godzilla. Mothra looks way too big compared to Godzilla, distractingly so, especially considering she's the underdog hero; logically, she should be smaller. The monsters take up a bit too much space, too, making the image look cluttered. Then there's that weird smaller image of Godzilla off to the side, which is needless and just a bad picture in general. GTTHM's poster has a similar problem with looking cluttered; in general I like the monsters to take up less of the image. The sad little 'beams' are pathetic and should never have been included. Monster Zero's is much more to my liking and I love all the space imagery, but it botches Rodan by having his face in front of Ghidorah's wing; at a glance, it's hard to tell what the heck you're looking at, there, and the first time I saw it my first thought was that Rodan had a super-long beak for some reason. That contrail sort of thing coming out of his chest is also strange. EHOTD also comes close to getting it right, but Ebirah's weird sideways position is a baffling choice, and he doesn't stand out enough because he's in front of Godzilla. Son of Godzilla has a fantastic poster, though, and they stay good or better through the rest of the era, with Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla being my favorite of them all.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Gigantis wrote:Honestly in some non-canon crossover that didn't mess with either continuities, a Pacific Rim/ Godzilla crossover might have worked, but i don't see it ever happening now.
Whaaa?! Think about it; A parallel universe Godzilla can crossover into the breach ending up in the PR universe! Legendary can through hollow earth tunnels, other Godzilla's can just show up, heck they could make an entirely new Godzilla for this specific crossover!
Image Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I hope Toho’s future Godzillas continue to go down the same path of weirdness and uniqueness that Shin and Earth have set. MV Godzilla is a perfect “traditional” Godzilla for modern times, and we also have plenty of movies with traditional Godzillas as well that branch out and cover myriad bases, so I say keep getting real weird with Godzilla.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Honestly despite really loving Pacific rim, I never wanted a Godzilla crossover. Yes they both have giant monsters but their individual aesthetics are quite different, and I really don’t think it would work. Furthermore i don’t see it doing anything interesting and just kinda being a bland creature feature.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I have no idea what a Snow Godzilla is.
Shows up in a cameo in some unrelated 3D anime film. There's videos on youtube, I think.
Let me rephrase that: I now know what it is, and I don’t care.

Am I a Godzilla boomer now?
ok

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Honestly despite really loving Pacific rim, I never wanted a Godzilla crossover. Yes they both have giant monsters but their individual aesthetics are quite different, and I really don’t think it would work. Furthermore i don’t see it doing anything interesting and just kinda being a bland creature feature.
The first Pacific Rim is one of my favorite movies period. That being said a Godzilla crossover would be soulless and unecessary. Pacific Rim should stand on its own and not use Godzilla as some kind of crutch. PR1 has so much love and soul put into it and it really stands out to me as its own thing.

Uprising does not count. It made some cool toys and thats it.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:I hope Toho’s future Godzillas continue to go down the same path of weirdness and uniqueness that Shin and Earth have set. MV Godzilla is a perfect “traditional” Godzilla for modern times, and we also have plenty of movies with traditional Godzillas as well that branch out and cover myriad bases, so I say keep getting real weird with Godzilla.
Shin Godzilla gave the character a fresh and intriguing rebirth, so it would be interesting to see what could be further done with that kind of kaiju film.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Forgive me father for I have sinned...
- I don't enjoy Godzilla (1954) as much as practically any of the other Showa films. Not because it isn't a good film but because it's extremely bleak and I have to be in a dark mood to watch it. I'd rather watch any of the (figuratively and literally) more colorful Godzilla films of the 60s and 70s. While I regard G54 as the best film in the series overall, it's never been one of my favorites.
- I don't think that King Ghidorah was ever a particularly menacing villain. He's big and he has a memorable design but there's plenty of other kaiju baddies who were portrayed as more menacing onscreen. Mechagodzilla and Hedorah are the obvious examples from the Showa era but, hell, I think that Kumonga was more threatening in her debut film than Ghidorah ever was.
- I enjoy Jun Fukuda's directorial style more than Ishiro Honda's. I think Honda's films tend to be more well-rounded and objectively "better" overall but Fukuda has fucking flair. I pick up and watch SOG and Gigan more than most of Honda's kaiju movies.
- Speaking of Honda, I enjoy War of the Gargantuas and Destroy All Monsters the most out of all his films even though I don't think they are two of his strongest.
- Objectively, I think Return of Godzilla is easily the best Heisei film. It's production is incredibly competent but it's just that, competent; it isn't bold or daring or special. It's a damn well-made movie without the heart and soul of the Showa films. That's my take, anyway.
- I would enjoy both Godzilla vs. Biollante and vs. King Ghidorah way, way more if not for the godawful gaijin actors. I understand that being annoyed by a few bad actors in minor roles is a petty reason to take issue with a movie but it really does greatly hinder my enjoyment of both films.
- I think that Gamera: Revenge of Iris is better than any Godzilla movie. Also, I'll show the Heisei Gamera trilogy to friends before any of the Godzilla films. Sorry if that means my "trufan" card needs to be revoked.
- My biggest gripe with the anime trilogy is the lack of a proper kaiju fight. To be clear, I maintain that there are a myriad of problems with these movies, but if the second and third films had delivered epic shonen-esq final battles between Godzilla and Mechagodzilla/Ghidorah, I'd probably forgive a lot of that.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Also, I'll show the Heisei Gamera trilogy to friends before any of the Godzilla films. Sorry if that means my "trufan" card needs to be revoked.
I'll second you on this one, actually. The Gamera Trilogy just as good as the very best of Toho's 60's output, but also has the added benefit of being more modern and thus more palatable to a newcomer.

Well, at least the latter two of the trilogy. Unfortunately, Guardian of the Universe has the more dated effects that would be hard for a newcomer to swallow, and leave the film open to ridicule. It's probably not a good starting point – your best option is to start with Legion and give them a verbal recap of the first movie.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I want one where each head has 6 eyes.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Forgive me father for I have sinned...
- I don't enjoy Godzilla (1954) as much as practically any of the other Showa films. Not because it isn't a good film but because it's extremely bleak and I have to be in a dark mood to watch it. I'd rather watch any of the (figuratively and literally) more colorful Godzilla films of the 60s and 70s. While I regard G54 as the best film in the series overall, it's never been one of my favorites.

- I think that Gamera: Revenge of Iris is better than any Godzilla movie. Also, I'll show the Heisei Gamera trilogy to friends before any of the Godzilla films. Sorry if that means my "trufan" card needs to be revoked.
Agree with both of these. I adore G54 but it lacks re-watch value for me in the long run. I've watched Shin Godzilla more times than the original, honestly.

And yeah, to me the Gamera trilogy is peak kaijukino, oh hell I'd say its peak cinema as a whole. Gamera 3 has been my favorite movie of all time for six or so years now and I've definitely had similar thoughts of showing the Gamera trilogy to uninitiated audiences before any Godzilla film.

Added in 52 seconds:
Living Corpse wrote:
I want one where each head has 6 eyes.
Kind of like this, then?
Resized Image