Say something positive about post-1991 Heisei

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Say something positive about post-1991 Heisei

Post by godjacob »

I think Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is one of the best Godzilla films in the franchise, much less the Heisei era alone. Felt some of the creature designs were also cool and some memorable human characters.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote:I think Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is one of the best Godzilla films in the franchise, much less the Heisei era alone. Felt some of the creature designs were also cool and some memorable human characters.
Although I have a major disliking for the movie, I can see what you’re getting at.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

godjacob wrote:I think Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is one of the best Godzilla films in the franchise, much less the Heisei era alone. Felt some of the creature designs were also cool and some memorable human characters.
Big disagree on this, which is one of my main problems with the film. That said, I would agree it's among the strongest Heisei films despite its weak cast. I think I'd rank it third. Destoroyah has arguably the best design of any Heisei kaiju, though the costume of its final form is a bit too chonky.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Big disagree on this, which is one of my main problems with the film. That said, I would agree it's among the strongest Heisei films despite its weak cast. I think I'd rank it third. Destoroyah has arguably the best design of any Heisei kaiju, though the costume of its final form is a bit too chonky.
But unlike say Mechagodzilla or SpaceGodzilla, I felt they worked around it the best. Giving Destoroyah the laser horn and the apprehensive tail in his Final Form helped give it more melee options plus it could change back to his smaller but more maneuverable forms. I felt it made the final battle one of the best in the Heisei era.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
I think in concept there are some really interesting characters - most notably Kenichi Yamane. But all of the characterization and conflict are really underdeveloped, and that potential largely goes to waste.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Garuda is a pretty cool mech.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

eabaker wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
I think in concept there are some really interesting characters - most notably Kenichi Yamane. But all of the characterization and conflict are really underdeveloped, and that potential largely goes to waste.
Especially how Emiko just disappears after having that dream. Total waste.
Resized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Destoroyah is my third favourite villain of the franchise, only after KG and MG.
For Emperor and Empire!

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

It did help to jump start merchandise in the US, particularly action figures.

I had no idea that there was another Godzilla series until I first got into the internet. I thought it might have been the long awaited American film!

Boy was I disappointed...Godzilla Wars seemed like an awesome concept.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think SpaceGodzilla was the only really bad Heisei movie post 1991. Mothra I feel was good, Destroyah is great and Mechagodzilla II was ok. They were just a drop in equally from the first 3 films.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

miguelnuva wrote:I think SpaceGodzilla was the only really bad Heisei movie post 1991. Mothra I feel was good, Destroyah is great and Mechagodzilla II was ok. They were just a drop in equally from the first 3 films.
Agreed, only that I’d say the Mothra is the weakest of the three with Mechagodzilla being the strongest.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

And I say that vs Mothra and vs SpaceGodzilla are the two I like the most, although the latter isn't far ahead of MG and Des.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote:And I say that vs Mothra and vs SpaceGodzilla are the two I like the most, although the latter isn't far ahead of MG and Des.
I like SpaceG personally, it's just I felt it was doing too much for one film. Yuki's grudge with Godzilla, the mind control plot, Godzilla having a clone that was Evil enough to know it needed to Kill Godzilla to conquer the planet and finally the Yukuza.

SpaceG feels like 2 or 3 movies combined into one.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

It actually gave us a baby Godzilla that I genuinely really liked. Baby Godzilla really did look like a baby in a weird animal way, LittleG was like Minya+10 and actually looked cute, and Godzilla Jr was a good use of an immature kaiju whom can still defend himself.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Desghidorah wrote:It actually gave us a baby Godzilla that I genuinely really liked. Baby Godzilla really did look like a baby in a weird animal way, LittleG was like Minya+10 and actually looked cute, and Godzilla Jr was a good use of an immature kaiju whom can still defense himself.
I liked Baby Godzilla/Little Godzilla/Godzilla Junior too. He was a son of Godzilla that was somewhat realistic in terms of growth stages.

However, I also liked the version of Minilla from Godzilla: Final Wars. That one was also more realistic than the version from the 1960s, at least in terms of size and growth stages when compared to Godzilla in that particular film.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Mothra never looked more adorable before.

villainzilla
Yojimbo

Post by villainzilla »

the soundtrack of those movies is very memorable and the fights can be creative at times(with the exception of godzilla vs destoroyah of course)