Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
The Octopus
G-Grasper

Re: Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

Post by The Octopus »

That cartoon on the top right. If that was in a western publication it would be considered racist.
Last edited by The Octopus on Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:That cartoon on the top right. If that was in a western publication it would be considered racist.
Sunday Boys
(Title of the magazine, or maybe Boy’s Sunday?)

Anyways, that character in the top right is Iyami from Osomatsu-kun .

He’s the one that does the original pose.

Iyami is a strange character, but he’s also based off of Tony Tani, a rather strange Japanese comedian/performer from the early 1950’s:

I don’t think the original image or character you posted is intended to be racist or anything. Japan just has a lot of incredibly stylized art, and since it’s “Japanese” I don’t think Japanese artists/audiences are thinking “hey that looks like a western caricature of a Japanese/Asian person. There is definitely still a lot of racist caricatures in Japanese media though...

You can see more from the magazine you posted here:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:That cartoon on the top right. If that was in a western publication it would be considered racist.
Holy shit, Osomatsu and Godzilla, together at last!

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I always thought it was weird that they didn't show Rodan flying out of the water as well. We can assume the one in DAM is the same Rodan, so he clearly survived. But its just a bit odd that he doesn't fly out as well.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I believe that King Ghidorah looks better in this film than he did in GTTHM. I just wish they had him be more... gold. The longer necks look great though. I wish I could say the same for Godzilla and Rodan's designs.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Honestly this is one of my favorite showa films. I think everything just clicks. The design/aesthetic is sleek and exactly what I'm looking for in a 60s sci-fi movie, the whole cast has some great chemistry, especially Nick Adams with Akira Takerada as well as Kumi Mizuno, and as always has a kicking soundtrack.
He Jock it Made of Steel

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The main theme is one of the best of the series.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think the cue that opens the U.S. version is a better fit and sets a more appropriate mood.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I prefer the Kaiju Daisenso March as the opening, largely because it juxtaposes so sharply with the tone/pace/style of the opening scenes. It gives a flavor of the action and energy to come later.

But, then, when don't I favor juxtaposition?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote:I think the cue that opens the U.S. version is a better fit and sets a more appropriate mood.
I'll have to agree with this. Monster Zero may be one of the very few Godzilla films where I actually prefer the US cut.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Honestly this is one of my favorite showa films. I think everything just clicks. The design/aesthetic is sleek and exactly what I'm looking for in a 60s sci-fi movie, the whole cast has some great chemistry, especially Nick Adams with Akira Takerada as well as Kumi Mizuno, and as always has a kicking soundtrack.
If you like this film for all those reasons you'll love The Killing Bottle.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Tamura wrote:
Jetty_Jags wrote:Honestly this is one of my favorite showa films. I think everything just clicks. The design/aesthetic is sleek and exactly what I'm looking for in a 60s sci-fi movie, the whole cast has some great chemistry, especially Nick Adams with Akira Takerada as well as Kumi Mizuno, and as always has a kicking soundtrack.
If you like this film for all those reasons you'll love The Killing Bottle.
Wow man, thanks! This looks right up my alley. I'll definitely have to check it out. Is there any place I can easily get it, I don't mean pirating, just I know foreign movies can sometimes be hard to get stateside.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Wow man, thanks! This looks right up my alley. I'll definitely have to check it out. Is there any place I can easily get it, I don't mean pirating, just I know foreign movies can sometimes be hard to get stateside.
That's the only option outside of an extremely rare early '80s Japanese VHS release for rental businesses.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

That, or move to Japan and wait in vain for it to air on cable television again.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

sUpPoRrT oFfIcIaL rElEaSeS oNlY! Multinational corporations need the mahhhney and you (fans of Toho movies) don't need the unprofitable intellectual property!
Last edited by Tamura on Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

One of the things I really like about this one is that we got a monster fight on another planet and that still hasn't been done since.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Yup, re-watched it last weekend, still one of my favorites, also finally planning on getting around to the killing bottle.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Omegazilla wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:09 am One of the things I really like about this one is that we got a monster fight on another planet and that still hasn't been done since.
Only on Ultraman.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:24 pm
Omegazilla wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:09 am One of the things I really like about this one is that we got a monster fight on another planet and that still hasn't been done since.
Only on Ultraman.
And Zone Fighter. Including one outer space fight with King Ghidorah.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

*Gamera and Guiron sit dejectedly on the sidelines, wondering why they've been forgotten*
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio