ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Megalon-5 »

Terasawa wrote:Jamila's memorial shows he died in 1990-something, but IIRC, there are references to the '60s being the present as well in some episodes. It's ambiguous.

The original plan was to set Ultraseven in 1987 but I don't know if that was ever confirmed by anything on screen.
Apparently TV-Kun mentions Seven takes place in 1987, but it's never stated in the show. On the other hand, in episode 43, the current date is shown as August 30, 2000, so make what of that you will.

However, there are some bits and pieces from the show that put it squarely in 1968 such as a news paper showing off the date of May 16, 1968 in episode 38.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah they were pretty lax with the setting of the first batch of shows. Continuity stuff like that drives me crazy.

Oh hey Ultraman X has a two parter. Liking this Gargorgon monster.

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

Is there any website or youtube channel that does a good overview of all the different attack team across all the Utlra-series over the years?

Do people have a favourite attack team?
Last edited by ray243 on Sat May 30, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Ultra Garrison from Ultra Seven is high on my list.
I really like EYES from Cosmo.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

ray243 wrote:Is there any website or youtube channel that does a good overview of all the different attack team across all the Utlra-series over the years?
I'd recommend clicking around the ancient Absolute Ultraman! website. Just keep in mind that a lot of pictures are missing in the archived format. :(
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Just finished Ultra Fight Orb and I LOVED it
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

ray243 wrote:Is there any website or youtube channel that does a good overview of all the different attack team across all the Utlra-series over the years?

Do people have a favourite attack team?
I might have to go with EYES too as they have my favorite team dynamic. Each character has a distinct and memorable personality plus all the recurring side characters like the archeologist chick and the lovesick doctor are really fun too. That said I also really like Night Raider from Ultraman Nexus. Night Raider definitely has my favorite Captain. While some of the team members are fairly one note Komon and Nagi have very well developed character arcs that more than make up for it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Okay looks like the Ace standard boxes are back.

Added in 2 hours 15 minutes 40 seconds:
Also I really like Victory's design in this cross-over episode in X. I do plan to watch Ginga and Ginga S but something seems off about Ginga's design. I like X Exceed design. Nice touch that he actually needed sword training for an episode. It kinda is a modern issue with Ultraman to have power ups rather than training or thinking cleverly to win a fight.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

daveblackeye15 wrote:Okay looks like the Ace standard boxes are back.

Also I really like Victory's design in this cross-over episode in X. I do plan to watch Ginga and Ginga S but something seems off about Ginga's design. I like X Exceed design. Nice touch that he actually needed sword training for an episode. It kinda is a modern issue with Ultraman to have power ups rather than training or thinking cleverly to win a fight.
In Ultra Fight Orb, Zero trains Orb for 10 years in the Ultraman version of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber from DBZ. It was a really cool little surprise because I share your opinion, you don't see the Ultras train too much. I recommend Ultraman Story if you're looking for that kinda thing, it's basically Ultraman Taro training for a movie lol
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Okay looks like the Ace standard boxes are back.

Different strokes for different folks because I think Exceed X and X-Luger is the most hot garbage thing about New Generation and a bad influence on Orb Trinity. And Ginga is my jam lol
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

The scene from Episode 14 of Ultraman Ace where the Ultra Bros go to Planet Golgotha is the TRIPPIEST thing I've ever seen and I've seen Lawnmower man actually tripping
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh boy...another recap episode on X. I'm such a completionist I'll have it on anyway.
I do say I really like X's basic design. It might be the best basic of all the new shows I've seen so far which is only Orb and Geed. But I really like Geed's too. I mean having Belial's eyes sure makes Geed stick out.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Ultraman Leo has to be the weirdest show I've ever seen in my life. In one episode, a two-faced ogre fights a giant robot and in the next, a Looney Tunes reject is forced to do a kid's homework. Not to even mention the monster being tricked into killing itself using its own breath.

It does feature the debut of my second-favorite Ultra Kaiju, though.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'm hearing Taro is a bit weirder. What is your second favorite Kaiju then? Nova?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

daveblackeye15 wrote:I'm hearing Taro is a bit weirder. What is your second favorite Kaiju then? Nova?
Yep. It was also the first Ultra kaiju I ever saw (via a Mega Monster Battle clip on YouTube)

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

There's an episode in Ultraman Orb where Nova gets to pop up again. One of my favorites. Not because of Nova just that there is a nice conversation I like between two aliens and it's so ho-hum between them and not about destroying the planet/ taking over.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

You know, I've always said Ultraman X is my favorite of the newer Ultraman shows, but maybe I even forgot how much I enjoyed it because I marathoned the entire series in like 3 days!

"A Soldier's Back" has got to be one of the all-time best Ultraman episodes. It has everything; it's a character focused episode that humanizes the Captain, there's melodrama, a wedding, multiple monster battles, a final battle that's scored with The Wedding March, and on top of that the entire episode is an extended Godzilla homage with numerous visual callbacks!
Last edited by Angilasman on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Angilasman wrote:You know, I've always said Ultraman X is my favorite of the newer Ultraman shows, but maybe I even forgot how much I enjoyed it because I marathoned the entire series in like 3 days!

"A Soldier's Back" has got to be one of the all-time best Ultraman episodes. It has everything; it's a character focused episode that humanizes the avaptain, there's melodrama, a wedding, multiple monster battles, a final battle that's scored with The Wedding March, and on top of that the entire episode is an extended Godzilla homage with numerous visual callbacks!
When Gomess used what was virtually Godzilla's nuclear pulse, I legit lost my shit.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I just watched A Soldier's Back. Yes I really like this episode a lot. Still overall I'm kinda finding X a bit behind Orb and Geed overall. Got one disc and the movie to go.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

A Twitter account named Ultraman Z just posted this image. I'm not sure if this is official but it might be a new kaiju.