Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Re: Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Joseph Goodman wrote:I just want peplums to get the same Blu-ray treatment every other Italian exploitation trash genre has received
Good news for you then, Hercules in the Haunted World is getting a blu-ray.

One of the films on my list is getting putt out by Vinegar Syndrome. The Viking themed slasher movie, Berserker. Just after the day I said it need one, it happened. What are the chances?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Two more old VHS favorites that are missing DVD and Blu-Ray treatments...

Edit: Oh, and this little gem featuring a segment by our own kaiju legend Kaneko.

Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Also The Abyss and True Lies need HD releases as well.
Oddly enough, I just found about this not too long ago, apparently James Cameron wants to personally oversee any HD conversion of his films (would definitely be SHD/4K or whatever is the best available now). But of course he is too busy now with endless Avatar sequels, so who knows when these will ever be available :roll: .
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Here's a almost completely forgot movie that's coming to blu-ray before True Lies. The Amazing Mr. No Legs!

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25740

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Death Machine, Split Second, Arena, The Giant Claw, and Godzilla 1985 are the big ones. Split Second is available in the UK but I want a domestic release.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Looks like kongas getting a December release, finally the gorgo disc has a friend

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Y98L3 ... 0DER&psc=1

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

So, Eegah is coming to blu-ray at the end of November with a 4K restoration and will have the MST3K version.

Criterion has a brand new remaster of War of the Worlds, in their steaming channel. So, if what they did with the shows Godzilla films is any indercation, we could be getting a blu-ray release some time soon.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The films that I want to get on home video, DVD and/or Blu-ray, are Cheaper to Keep Her (1981), Mac Davis' first starring film, and the unedited director's cut of Phase IV (1974) with the recently re-discovered nine minutes of missing footage that was originally at the end spliced back in the master film where it belongs, so it'll be in every print...and then make sure that it stays in there once and for all.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Criterion is releasing War Of The Worlds!!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:Criterion is releasing War Of The Worlds!!
-looks at the old second hand DvD I bought two months ago for thirty dollars.-

Aw fuck.

Alligator (1980) is high on my bluray wish list.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:Criterion is releasing War Of The Worlds!!
-looks at the old second hand DvD I bought two months ago for thirty dollars.-

Aw fuck.
You provided the Criterion Sacrifice! You should be happy, you did most of us a favor! ;)

All jokes aside, it’s great to see this finally on BD after so long. And in a Criterion release too!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Very happy about the Criterion War of the World's release. Funny enough, as soon as I saw that news I said 'a really cool bonus would be to include the original radio broadcast and that made people go nuts and panic' and sure enough that IS one of the bonus features on the disc!

So awesome when Criterion ISN'T kneecapped with what they want to do with their releases.

As far as some Blu Ray wish-lists for me.
- Both Guyver films - Anyone who saw the first film on VHS knows that the "director's cut" is terrible, it has violence edited out and a whole bunch of goofy bullcrap put in. The shorter R rated version on the VHS I saw years ago was a lot less cringey and the violence helped it a bit. A blu ray release with both cuts of the first Guyver and Guyver 2 would be cool

- Thursday - A 1998 Tarantino-esque crime movie. Has a retroactively fairly high profile cast of Thomas Jane, Aaron Eckhart, Mickey Rourke and the gorgeously psychotic Paulina Porizkova who steals the show. It deserves a proper North American Blu Ray release

- Wolf Creek - A FANTASTIC low-budget, gritty and dark horror thriller. Frankly I would just hope they would include the R rated and Unrated version of the film. The R rated is actually the better cut.

The unrated version gives you literally FIVE seconds of more 'violence', but the pair of sequences it adds to the movie absolutely CRUSHES the pacing. The film is already a slow burn, but the first sequences slows the beginning of the movie and just makes it take a little too long to get going. The next sequences comes right when tensions are high and the movie is moving fast, only to stop it dead in its tracks and insert cliche horror tropes like 'finding a gun but then dropping it and never going back for it' and 'stumbling across dead bodies and hysterically screaming'

So yeah the movie completely NEEDS a US Blu Ray release, as long as both versions are included.

- Birth - 2004 - Great performance from Kidman and I'm a sucker for edgy/controversial movies like this

- Amor Estranho Amor - An ultra controversial film, to the degree that an actress from it has tried to have all prints destroyed. For that alone I say restore it and put out a blu ray.

- Gantz - A 26 episode anime series currently released on DVD only. I believe it was animated at standard-def, but upscaling it for a proper Blu Ray release wouldn't hurt. If we could get a new English Dub out of it that would be great too.

- The Godzilla Anime Trilogy - I know Netflix has them which makes a US Blu Ray release unlikely, but I think they could make a cool triple pack

- Polar - Another Netflix film that could make for a cool Blu Ray

- The Babysitter - Another Netflix gem, great comedy/thriller.

- The Hobbit - 1977 - This animated movie deserves a Blu Ray release. I'm sure they could go back to that footage and scan it in HD and put out a decent Blu Ray of it. I find it to be a much more enjoyable and adventurous prelude to The Lord of the Rings Trilogy than the terrible Hobbit trilogy.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

The 1994, directorial debut of BLADE ,Stephen Norrigton, DEATH MACHINE. The flick was released stateside with a chunk of story edited out, and cropped in pan and scan. Heard good things about it from GoodBadFlicks.com review of the flick.

Hoping that either Shout Factory, or Lion's Gate re-releases DEATH MACHINE on their Vestron Special Edition DVD/Blu-Ray like CHOPPING MALL and THE WARLOCK franchise.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

The One and Only wrote:The 1994, directorial debut of BLADE ,Stephen Norrigton, DEATH MACHINE. The flick was released stateside with a chunk of story edited out, and cropped in pan and scan. Heard good things about it from GoodBadFlicks.com review of the flick.

Hoping that either Shout Factory, or Lion's Gate re-releases DEATH MACHINE on their Vestron Special Edition DVD/Blu-Ray like CHOPPING MALL and THE WARLOCK franchise.

I really hate having to be the bearer of bad news, but The Vestron Video collection is dead. On their social media, the people at Red Shirt Pictures said that they were working on extras for four releases that were nearly done, but have been putt on hold. That was in May of last.

Maybe Shout or Vinegar Syndrome, would be your best bet for a release.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

So....the Daimajin Trilogy Blu Ray from Mill Creek is currently out of print/insanely priced.

What is the current status of these films? Would Mill Creek still have the rights to release them in the US or has the license possibly lapsed?
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Dinosaurs! Is long due for a Blu Ray.
Would love to see that get restored properly.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

GIGAN05 wrote:Dinosaurs! Is long due for a Blu Ray.
Dinosaurs was put out on blu-ray by Kino last year.
https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurus-Blu-r ... PDKIKX0DER

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:
Oooh.

Need to check if it's region free though.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

GIGAN05 wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:
Oooh.

Need to check if it's region free though.
It's not, I'm afraid. This is why I always recommend people get a region-free play, you can get for reasonable cheap right now.

This is the one I currently have, and works like a dream.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/2016-SONY-BDP- ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

The 1993 creature feature TICKS. After seeing the GoodBadFlicks review of the film, I looked it up on Amazon to snag it, and watch it for my month long October Halloween movie marathon. Unfortunately, the lowest price for a DVD copy was sixty some smackers. Hopefully a(cheaper) re-release on Blu/Ray is around the corner.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.