General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by Terasawa »

Yeah I was hoping for this:

(I think it's great.)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

I'm weird, I'll always prefer the traditional poster art. I think the last couple Showa Bluray sets had great art
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Cover art isn’t terrible. Not sure what’s up with not using existing art(like the Godzilla Showa set).

Very much looking forward to this set.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

My absolute ideal artwork would probably play up the "retro"/"vintage" angle just a little more, but I do love the attention to detail in Matt's artwork. The front cover alone incorporates aspects of every era -- you've got the Showa opponents in the carvings, a very Kaneko-influenced Gamera design and Heisei-esque Gyaos in the background, plus the scarlet pearl and egg from Gamera the Brave.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I believe the orders on Amazon are already capped. Hope you guys ordered it in time.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Terasawa wrote:Yeah I was hoping for this:

(I think it's great.)
The 4Kids VHS' were my exposure to Gamera.
Last edited by Malchik on Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Okay, it's coming. Now, what I want to know is how much is it and can I afford it?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It's been on Amazon for weeks. I think right now it's at about $160.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah it’ll probably drop to $120 before release. Just a guess anyway.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Well, with my being unemployed, that's it, I'm dead, it's over, I have to dig a grave for it right now. Same with the Criterion Godzilla set.

The only way I'm going to get either of them is as a birthday present and/or a Christmas present - and starting last year, my parents started not giving such things to me or anyone else in my family because of financial circumstances, not just mine, but everyone's. They also said they don't want anything anymore from any of us because of their age.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

mikelcho wrote:Well, with my being unemployed, that's it, it's dead, it's over, I have to dig a grave for it right now. Same with the Criterion Godzilla set.

The only way I'm going to get either of them is as a birthday present and/or a Christmas present - and starting last year, my parents started not giving such things to me or anyone else in my family because of financial circumstances, not just mine, but everyone's. They also said they don't want anything anymore from any of us because of their age.
I'm in a similar boat. These big collections would be nice to have, but no way in hell can I afford it, or justify the expense if I could.
Luckily I already own most of these movies, even if not all in one handy collection or in the best current visual format or whatever.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Vakanai wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Well, with my being unemployed, that's it, it's dead, it's over, I have to dig a grave for it right now. Same with the Criterion Godzilla set.

I'm in a similar boat. These big collections would be nice to have, but no way in hell can I afford it, or justify the expense if I could.
Luckily I already own most of these movies, even if not all in one handy collection or in the best current visual format or whatever.
Thanks. At least I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yeesh. I wouldn't have expected a Gamera set to cost so much. I already have all but one of these movies on DVD, so I'll probably pass unless I find it on sale or something. *sigh* Somebody needs to release GTB on its own.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

mikelcho wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

Thanks. At least I know I'm not the only one with this problem.
Nope, not alone. Personally I can't imagine spending more than $40 on just one box set, and that's still my definition of steep.

I got the trilogy on blu-ray a few years back, and I'm still pretty happy with that.
JAGzilla wrote:Yeesh. I wouldn't have expected a Gamera set to cost so much. I already have all but one of these movies on DVD, so I'll probably pass unless I find it on sale or something. *sigh* Somebody needs to release GTB on its own.
That's the big bummer for me, it's the one Gamera movie I want that I don't have, and there's no affordable options.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Unless I’m missing something here, how/why would people pay that much for this collection? I don’t mean to start an argument or anything, but I’m pretty sure the mill creek Gamera collection was super cheap, and you. An probably easily get a cheaper/better version of Gamera 3 due to the bad subtitling in that one.

Despite its issues, the Criterion Godzilla set had more films, a bunch of cool art work and multiple tracks. It’s also the first time in a bit that the films are so easily available, Gamera has had collections for a while.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Lol this fandom.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Unless I’m missing something here, how/why would people pay that much for this collection? I don’t mean to start an argument or anything, but I’m pretty sure the mill creek Gamera collection was super cheap, and you. An probably easily get a cheaper/better version of Gamera 3 due to the bad subtitling in that one.

Despite its issues, the Criterion Godzilla set had more films, a bunch of cool art work and multiple tracks. It’s also the first time in a bit that the films are so easily available, Gamera has had collections for a while.
Arrow is a label known for producing editions comparable to Criterion's output in terms of content, except focused on less high-brow genre fare. There's going to be some care taken with the presentation of the films.

The Mill Creek sets were cheap because they used existing transfers and translations as-is, and crammed four Showa films on each disc. They skipped dubs altogether on the Showa films just because they didn't inherit uniform options for every film from Shout! Factory and/or Kadokawa. They gave the Kaneko films a less slapdash treatment, but it was still sourced from existing masters, with the extras IIRC ported from the Japanese releases.

Except for "more films," there's no reason not to expect this set to match or surpass the Criterion set on all of the points you mentioned. We're getting two books in this thing, one containing liner notes and another containing reprinted comics, and the whole thing has original artwork by Matt Frank -- whether his style is your cup of tea is down to personal taste, but it is original artwork, same as the Criterion set.

What you're missing is basically everything we know about the set at this point. We're getting what appears to be a more lavish and more substantial presentation of the films in the set than the Criterion releases, with a good deal of supplements both on and off the discs. It's a matter of both quantity and quality. Why one would expect the pricing of (out-of-print) budget sets from Mill Creek to have any bearing on the price of this set is beyond me.
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:-snip-
Okay, makes a lot of sense!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

We lose our innocence at some point when we grow up.

I wanna see a Gamera film tackle this, where an innocent child he saved in the past grows up into a villain he has to stop.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Living Corpse wrote:We lose our innocence at some point when we grow up.

I wanna see a Gamera film tackle this, where an innocent child he saved in the past grows up into a villain he has to stop.
Reminds me a bit of Syndrome
Still the best, 1955... 8-)