Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Post by Goji »

If we ever get an official release with subs that actually correspond to the Japanese dialogue, we'll be able to compare it to the dialogue in the International version, and see how accurate it is. I honestly hope that happens sooner than later. I've been waiting over a decade for GODZILLA 1985/ROG to get a DVD release.

If the Toykomonsters subs for GOJIRA (84') (which seem to be pretty solid) are anything to go by, there are some similarities, but I have yet to do a thorough comparison.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

RyanClark wrote:
Ethan wrote:Does anyone know which dubbing for Godzilla 1985 is the more accurate, the US or the International one?
I would assume the International but I don't know. While sometimes Toho's International dubs take some liberties with the dialogue, the New World version changed some major plot points altogether. Not that I'm knocking the 1985 cut! It was my first G-film!
Case in point: when the Russian is attempting to fire the nuclear missile after his boat gets damaged, he was actually him trying to prevent the missile from launching in the Japanese version. So in terms of accuracy, I'd lean towards the International dub based on that alone.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

That doesn't have a lot to do with the dubbing, that's a plot point changed/created based on strictly editing.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

TokyoVigilante wrote:That doesn't have a lot to do with the dubbing, that's a plot point changed/created based on strictly editing.
True, but my point is if the US producers were changing the dialog and intent of the Russians, it's possible they were doing that with the dubbing too. Perhaps my logic is stretched a bit too thin, though.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

According to Steve Ryfle's book, the dialog for the dubbing and the one for the newly filmed scenes was written by different people. Don't say who worked on the subtitles, though.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I've updated the original list with Madman (R4) releases, and will continue to do so as I hear more about them. Also any info from other European/Asian Godzilla DVD's would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know the quality of the subs seen on the films DiscoTek released? (WAR IN SPACE and SAYONARA JUPITER). They seem to be pretty solid, but I just don't want to assume they're accurate.

Also, if anyone can comment on the subs on ADV's releases of YAMATO TAKERU and GUNHED, that would be great.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Proofpoochie
G-Force Personnel

Post by Proofpoochie »

Goji wrote:I've updated the original list with Madman (R4) releases, and will continue to do so as I hear more about them. Also any info from other European/Asian Godzilla DVD's would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know the quality of the subs seen on the films DiscoTek released? (WAR IN SPACE and SAYONARA JUPITER). They seem to be pretty solid, but I just don't want to assume they're accurate.

Also, if anyone can comment on the subs on ADV's releases of YAMATO TAKERU and GUNHED, that would be great.
War in Space has pretty good subs. It even has seperate subtitles for the Japanese audio and the dub track.

Also, the subs on Media Blasters Matango disc aren't 100% accurate(I think Anthony noted this in his review) but, are still pretty decent.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Thanks for the corrections! I'll make a note of those.

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

Wow! By far the BEST source for figuring out which movies are truly subbed and which ones are shamefully dubtitles. Kudos, kudeos indeed.
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

Simeone
Young Farmer

Post by Simeone »

This is a very useful thread. It hasn't been updated in a while. Is the user "Goji" still active on these forums? If so, he should update the list in the OP to include the Blu-Ray releases that have been coming out.

This thread should even be a sticky to be honest.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I can do that soon, but I'm currently on my way to a GODZILLA screening. I'll be sure to update it soon, now that there's some actual interest.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Having just recently rewatched the Heisei series with Sony's blus, I can say that Ghidorah and Mothra are new tracks, while MechaGodzilla and SpaceGodzilla are dubtitles (or the new tracks are practically identical). Destoroyah's subtitles are filled with typos. I forget what that type of dialogue is called (Engrish or something?) where things like "Welcome to die!" are said.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Ninjasaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ninjasaurus »

Mr. Xeno wrote:Having just recently rewatched the Heisei series with Sony's blus, I can say that Ghidorah and Mothra are new tracks, while MechaGodzilla and SpaceGodzilla are dubtitles (or the new tracks are practically identical). Destoroyah's subtitles are filled with typos. I forget what that type of dialogue is called (Engrish or something?) where things like "Welcome to die!" are said.
This is correct. The new tracks for King Ghidorah and Mothra have the most accurate subtitles of the 5 Heisei Sony Blus, while the other three are dubtitles and/or adequate at best.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Ninjasaurus wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:Having just recently rewatched the Heisei series with Sony's blus, I can say that Ghidorah and Mothra are new tracks, while MechaGodzilla and SpaceGodzilla are dubtitles (or the new tracks are practically identical). Destoroyah's subtitles are filled with typos. I forget what that type of dialogue is called (Engrish or something?) where things like "Welcome to die!" are said.
This is correct. The new tracks for King Ghidorah and Mothra have the most accurate subtitles of the 5 Heisei Sony Blus, while the other three are dubtitles and/or adequate at best.
Mechagodzilla II actually appears to differ slightly from the DVD. I only skimmed through the movie, but the biggest thing that I noticed was in the opening narration. Right before we go into the animation of MG being built, there's a shot of the main personnel sitting around a conference table about to watch said animation. In the dub track (and thus the subtitles for the DVD), the narrator stops talking before this scene. However, in the Japanese version he continues to speak all the way through, and for ages on the DVD it went untranslated. Now it is.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Really? I didn't notice any obvious typos when I watched it. What scenes are they in exactly?

I'll also vouch that Mechagodzilla II and SpaceGodzilla are not the best translations but still better than Sony's tracks for GMK or Tokyo SOS.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

I don't remember any specific moments, but I definitely remember seeing them. I'm not rewatching the whole movie just to find some subtitle typos.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Something to keep in mind, the "dubtitles" seen on TOKYO S.O.S are the same ones seen on Toho's subbed prints, according to Keith Aiken.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I hope it's alright to bump this thread to request a sticky, because it really seems like a good source of information on subtitles. Hopefully someone can post information on Kraken's releases.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

According to the reviews on the main site, the Kraken releases of Sea Monster and Gigan use the same subtitles as the Sony/TriStar DVDs, which sometimes use the dub script but usually provide actual translations when the Japanese lines are considerably different. (They don't say anything about Hedorah; I might check that out when I get back to Chicago.)

Kraken's added credits on the Return of Godzilla Blu-ray (which I have on hand because I ripped it for my Godzilla 1985 project) mention both a translator and a Russian consultant, so I'd say the subtitles are probably accurate.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Are the Australian DVDs of "Son of Godzilla" and "Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 74" accurate subtitles and is the dub for "Godzilla vs Megaguirus" a good translation?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life