Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Rodan95 wrote:Godzilla's Revenge is "The Room" of the series to me. It's so bad, it's great. Definitely a drinking game-type of film to me. The English dubbed version is unintentionally hilarious and its terrible but entertaining at the same time :)
The Japanese version is even worse. That opening song...
...is delightful.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Rodan95 wrote:Godzilla's Revenge is "The Room" of the series to me. It's so bad, it's great. Definitely a drinking game-type of film to me. The English dubbed version is unintentionally hilarious and its terrible but entertaining at the same time :)
...is delightful.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. :lol: I was always a Bring Back the Sun fan.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
...is delightful.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. :lol: I was always a Bring Back the Sun fan.
Well, yes, that's on a whole different level. :D
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

That's Godzilla vs. Megalon for me. In fact, my roommate and I got drunk watching it just two nights ago!
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I quite like Revenge, even when I was a kid. After watching classic Ultraman material full of strangeness, Revenge is quite normal. I like weird things with a purpose.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I guess this is more of an unpopular Tsuburaya opinion, but I could never get into Ultraman. I tried, guys, I tried.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I guess this is more of an unpopular Tsuburaya opinion, but I could never get into Ultraman. I tried, guys, I tried.
I'm curious, why not? I can kinda see why.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I guess this is more of an unpopular Tsuburaya opinion, but I could never get into Ultraman. I tried, guys, I tried.
It was mostly just very confusing. Hundreds of monsters I had never heard of and dozens of Ultramen. A bit alienating for a newcomer.

The movie wasn't that good either. I kind of got Final Wars vibes.

Belial was cool though, I guess.

Edit: Outside of a select few like Gomora, I also don't like the design asthetics for most of the monsters.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Try harder damn it, try harder.

But at least you tried and watched some episodes, and didn't just knock it without watching it first.

Good job man.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
It was mostly just very confusing. Hundreds of monsters I had never heard of and dozens of Ultramen. A bit alienating for a newcomer.

The movie wasn't that good either. I kind of got Final Wars vibes.

Belial was cool though, I guess.

Edit: Outside of a select few like Gomora, I also don't like the design asthetics for most of the monsters.
Like Pokemon, The designs of the monsters in the Ultraman series can definitely be hit or miss.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Why did you start with the movie? Watch Ultra Q and the original Ultraman. Then go to Seven and skip to Mebius, then check out Orb. Trust me it's less confusing. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultraman has a series problem where it's lore is completely unnecessary but it repeatedly tries to make it seem important and almost requires it. 

The earlier incarnations are better for that reason.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I can understand the complaints about the monster designs but you also have to remind yourself that they were tasked with designing and building a brand new monster most weeks. It only got more difficult when more and more of these henshin shows were on TV.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

Actually, I wanna know what you guys think about this: What is the best Godzilla movies to watch while drunk or under the influence of something that relaxes you? :lol:

For me:
1. Godzilla vs. Megalon (Jet Jaguar for the win)
2. Godzilla's Revenge
3. Godzilla Final Wars
4. Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster
5. King Kong vs. Godzilla

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Terasawa wrote:I can understand the complaints about the monster designs but you also have to remind yourself that they were tasked with designing and building a brand new monster most weeks. It only got more difficult when more and more of these henshin shows were on TV.
Honestly I like how weird and random they look, but yeah you're right.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Ultraman has a series problem where it's lore is completely unnecessary but it repeatedly tries to make it seem important and almost requires it. 

The earlier incarnations are better for that reason.
I've started with the originals, starting with Ultraman, Ultra Q, and now halfway through Ultraseven. I love them so far. The only modern Ultraman I've watched is Netflix, first Zero movie, that new youtube miniseries, and Powered.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Rodan95 wrote:Actually, I wanna know what you guys think about this: What is the best Godzilla movies to watch while drunk or under the influence of something that relaxes you? :lol:

For me:
2. Godzilla's Revenge
3. Godzilla Final Wars
This is a solid inebriated Godzilla list. I’d throw in Ebirah, Son of Godzilla and Gigan as well. I maintain that Megalon is the ultimate drunk Godzilla movie with Final Wars as a close second. If you’re engaging in herbal activities, Hedorah is the best by far.

As a side note, I showed my college roommate Godzilla vs. Hedorah while he was under the influence of psychedelics and he said it was one of the most "interesting" experiences of his life. :lol:
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan95 wrote:Actually, I wanna know what you guys think about this: What is the best Godzilla movies to watch while drunk or under the influence of something that relaxes you? :lol:

For me:
2. Godzilla's Revenge
3. Godzilla Final Wars
Depends on whether I want to have fun with a dumb movie (though I'm more likely to do that stoned than drunk), or vent at an awful one? If the former, probably Megalon or Spacegodzilla. If the latter, Final Wars or Tokyo SOS (I would include KotM '19 on the list, but I don't even think drunken screaming could make that movie appealing).

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:

For me:
2. Godzilla's Revenge
3. Godzilla Final Wars
This is a solid inebriated Godzilla list. I’d throw in Ebirah, Son of Godzilla and Gigan as well. I maintain that Megalon is the ultimate drunk Godzilla movie with Final Wars as a close second. If you’re engaging in herbal activities, Hedorah is the best by far.

As a side note, I showed my college roommate Godzilla vs. Hedorah while he was under the influence of psychedelics and he said it was one of the most "interesting" experiences of his life. :lol:
Watching Godzilla vs. Hedorah while "engaging in herbal activities" makes it a better film...especially with the fish head dance scene :lol:

Hedorah is just a trippy kaiju. I love it.
eabaker wrote: Depends on whether I want to have fun with a dumb movie (though I'm more likely to do that stoned than drunk), or vent at an awful one? If the former, probably Megalon or Spacegodzilla. If the latter, Final Wars or Tokyo SOS (I would include KotM '19 on the list, but I don't even think drunken screaming could make that movie appealing).
KotM'19 is a dope "stoned" movie. Never watched Tokyo SOS drunk or whatnot but you just got me curious...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan95 wrote:
eabaker wrote: Depends on whether I want to have fun with a dumb movie (though I'm more likely to do that stoned than drunk), or vent at an awful one? If the former, probably Megalon or Spacegodzilla. If the latter, Final Wars or Tokyo SOS (I would include KotM '19 on the list, but I don't even think drunken screaming could make that movie appealing).
KotM'19 is a dope "stoned" movie. Never watched Tokyo SOS drunk or whatnot but you just got me curious...
Well, I'm coming from a place of hating Tokyo SOS, and not being able to find any way to enjoy it other than loudly expressing that hatred. ;)

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

eabaker wrote:
Rodan95 wrote:
Well, I'm coming from a place of hating Tokyo SOS, and not being able to find any way to enjoy it other than loudly expressing that hatred. ;)
Ahh gotcha :lol: I dont hate SOS unlike other Godzilla fans, but it's not a Godzilla movie I'm crazy about either. It's just there. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is the superior film between the 2.