The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Dolemite is My Name

Just finished watching Eddie Murphy's Rudy Ray Moore biopic Dolemite Is My Name.

What a great movie.

People are saying this is Eddie Murphy's best in years but I personally think this is my favorite Eddie Murphy movie overall.
If you have a chance to watch the original Dolemite do so, it's a lot of fun. It even has more boom mic's in shot than Plan 9 From Outer Space.
I know, I've been telling every one I know to watch it as So f'ing good!

Added in 3 days 4 hours 3 minutes 7 seconds:
New York Ripper

I know that going in that this was a very nasty and sleazy movie, but Damm that ending was bleak. Trust me when I say that ending would never happen in this day and age! Morons on Twitter wouldn't be able to handle it!

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Always Sunny
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Revenge of The Ninja (1983)

I last watched the movie Revenge of The Ninja. 80's ninja movies really are an entertainment subculture onto themselves.

Kane Kosugi seems a lot younger in this movie than he does in Godzilla: Final Wars. ;)

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Revenge of The Ninja (1983)

Kane Kosugi seems a lot younger in this movie than he does in Godzilla: Final Wars. ;)
Well, the movie was made 20 years earlier. ;)
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

CuriosityStream's Light on Earth, which is about various bioluminescent lifeforms. Very cool stuff, and of course visually amazing at times. It's easy to overlook just how common and widespread bioluminescence is, and all the varied ways organisms make use of it. Would definitely recommend this one.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

The Lighthouse

I last watched the movie The Lighthouse. Great film. Bizarre and often hilarious in unforeseen confronting ways.

Just don't mention the scene where Robert Pattinson fantasizes about being with a mermaid. But still a really good movie!
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Police Story: 9.75/10 (IMO the best police action film ever made)
Rush Hour: 7.5/10
Rush Hour 2: 7.5/10
Drunken Master: 8.50/10
Jackie Chan's Gorgeous: 8.50/10
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Color Out of Space

Hey guys just watched the Nicolas Cage movie Color Out of Space.

What a great movie!

Very much like The Thing and From Beyond.

Nicolas Cage has been delivering a great comeback lately. This is another favorite of his for me alongside Mandy.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus
After hearing about the original Invader Zim show here and there (this forum might have been the first spot, actually) and learning of the new feature getting released on Netflix, I went through the show a couple of months ago and overall enjoyed it. Now, being prepared for Enter the Florpus, I was pleased to see that the film captured pretty much everything I liked about the show. It's almost dark, and maybe a tad macabre, but totally and unabashedly ludicrous about it. The production values are obviously ramped up, and many of the action scenes look particularly nice. It'd be neat if other cartoons from the 90s/00s could get a quality resurrection like this*.

Sahara
I heard about this film before it was first releasing, and then completely forgot about it until it popped up as a recommendation on Netflix. Story-wise, there's little of real note; it's a familiar adventure/romance/buddy film with a team of quippy underdogs rising to an occasion of greatness. There are a couple of comic moments that probably wouldn't fly in an American film. What's primarily of note about the film is 1: the smooth, angular aesthetic which suits the main characters, but also lends to a rather pretty film which distinguishes itself from rounder, more textured American productions, and 2: it's a cartoon about SNAKES. Seriously, how often do we get to see reptiles as endearing stars of a film? Overall it's a cute, entertaining film, mostly formulaic but with some slight inspired touches here and there.

Knives Out
Okay, now THAT was a cool movie! I went to a later night showing with a couple of friends, and we all loved it. I've heard it compared to classic Agatha Christie stories, but it's also got a Columbo story nestled inside! Writing and editing on this film were on-point all the way, with enough genre savviness to inform the audience, but not so much to distract from the film being its own story. I also greatly appreciated the sense of rather dry humor throughout the film, and the ultimate "message" the protagonist was left with (even if it was a bit quaint). This was a terrific watch, and I definitely plan to buy it and revisit it.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Foes (1977)

This is the creepiest movie about UFOs I have ever seen. It's a more sombre,creepy, lot less spectacular version of Close Encounters of the Third Kind with aliens that more alien than Spielberg's little heat men.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Swamp Thing

I watched the first 5 episodes, and am really enjoying this show. It's always entertaining finding out more of the secrets of the swamp as the show progresses. It's also super dark and IMO really does the character justice more than the 90's TV show. It's a damn shame it got cancelled after one season (hell, one episode), hopefully it'll get picked up on HBO Max or another app. I swear, WB has really made some boneheaded decisions. This sounds like one of those boneheaded moves from the early stages of the DCEU.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Mighty Joe Young (1998)

I last watched the 1998 version of Mighty Joe Young. In contrast to it's general reception and being largely forgotten I didn't think this movie was too bad. Rick Baker's gorilla suit is great, a lot of perspective shots are really well done and the heart of the movie feels like it's in the right place.

I like Joe Young in that he's a giant ape but instead of being colossal like Godzilla or Kong he's simply a larger version of a gorilla and possibly even conceivable. A bit like the shark in Jaws, much larger than a regular Great White but believable. Joe Young is much friendlier to people than Jaws though.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Extreme Warhawk
GPN Volunteer

Post by Extreme Warhawk »

I just rewatched Predator and Predator 2, classics.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

1917. Very, very exceptionally well done. The sequence that takes place in the village felt a little 'stereotypical war movie', but that would be my only complaint, and it isn't a big one. The camera work was next level, the sets were incredibly convincing, and the scale of it all, a small, personal story set amid gargantuan, sweeping events, was handled perfectly. Whether you like war movies or not, I would recommend this one.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

The Truman Show

I last watched the 1998 Jim Carrey movie The Truman Show.

As a kid I had the idea that everyone and everything around me could be made up and they were in on creating a fake world around me and acting, pretending to be my parents. So it was interesting when much later a movie came out with that premise.

Of course today now I look at it as a movie that explores concepts of Anxiety, Fear and Mental Barriers. Rightfully the best movie of Jim Carrey.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If you have not seen Parasite, watch Parasite. Oh my god, what a phenomenal film. Some of the most intelligent writing I've seen in a film in ages. I have a feeling this will be taught in many film schools from here on out. What a masterclass in filmmaking.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

UltramanGoji wrote:If you have not seen Parasite, watch Parasite. Oh my god, what a phenomenal film. Some of the most intelligent writing I've seen in a film in ages. I have a feeling this will be taught in many film schools from here on out. What a masterclass in filmmaking.
Saw it the second time just now. It was an emotional rollercoaster. Laughed my ass off and proceeded to become malignantly depressed in the span of 15 minutes. Highly recommend.

I do feel like some of the subtler details got lost in translation. I had to read several discussions to pick up on some key words/phrases that mean something completely different from the subtitles. Even the tagline of the movie poster supposedly carries a creepier/offputting tone than its direct translation.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I found Parasite to be really over-rated, definitely don't think it deserved Best Picture.

I would have gone for 1917....that was a flooring experience.

Sonic is a shockingly good movie. I don't usually enjoy kids movies very much. I think the Disney/Pixar style has sort of homogenized 'family' movies for the last 2 decades, and had everything feeling very similar. But Sonic, while still being a very wholesome family film, felt like such a departure from the way Disney and Pixar have seemed to phone it in for the last 5 years or so.

I wholeheartedly believe that Sonic could launch a wave of NON-Disney, NON-Pixar adaptations of Sega and Nintendo properties that completely break the grip that the Mouse House has on "hugely successful family fair that appeals strong to all demographics"...a movie that works really well for the youngers and families while ALSO still having that 'cool factor' for teens and adults is an important niche to carve out.

I've been binging My Hero Academia...and I have become completely addicted.

My Hero Academia has completely supplanted Dragon Ball as my favorite shonen-anime AND it has completely supplanted the Marvel Cinematic Universe as my favorite superhero franchise. The animation, the visuals, the WRITING, the characters....I have never developed such a deep love for a property SO quickly.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Chrispy_G wrote:I found Parasite to be really over-rated, definitely don't think it deserved Best Picture.
Why is Parasite overrated? I like 1917 a lot, too, but I think Parasite absolutely deserved the Oscar. Phenomenal writing, acting and directing, original story, seamless blend of comedy and tragedy. 1917 was an immersive experience with fantastic cinematography, but the actual plot and characters were paper-thin; Parasite's plot and characters were rich and engrossing.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:I found Parasite to be really over-rated, definitely don't think it deserved Best Picture.
Why is Parasite overrated? I like 1917 a lot, too, but I think Parasite absolutely deserved the Oscar. Phenomenal writing, acting and directing, original story, seamless blend of comedy and tragedy. 1917 was an immersive experience with fantastic cinematography, but the actual plot and characters were paper-thin; Parasite's plot and characters were rich and engrossing.
For me....it was like many films that have won Best Picture in the last 10 years, you watch them once....say "oh that was good", and then never really feel compelled to watch them again. That's just my opinion.

Added in 1 hour 56 minutes 1 second:
Also....something doesn't have to be complex to be of a very high quality. Some of the best films and shows are actually simple. There is 100% a place for minimalism...and minimalism does not exclude artistry.

Look at Primal, not a spoken line of dialogue...but that doesn't make it any less of a masterpiece. Gravity had essentially 2 characters and the experience was no less exciting.

There is a place for purity and minimalism...and truly amazing cinema can still be achieved while embracing both. Complexity and depth is not inherently superior, or required for a superior piece of cinema
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."