General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
G-Matt
Futurian

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by G-Matt »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Well I now have a Japanese copy of the Gamera Gaurdian of the Universe Dark Horse Comic.
They released it in Japan too? Wow, wasn't aware of that.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

G-Matt wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Well I now have a Japanese copy of the Gamera Gaurdian of the Universe Dark Horse Comic.
Now, if they'd only release it as a trade paperback in this country and in color, that'd be excellent!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

G-Matt wrote:
I think it's a recent reprint/release. There's an advert on the back for the IDW Godzilla Japanese edition as well. Strangely, at the end, included is a comic by Matt Frank about the downfall of the Atlantian Civilization. I don't view any of it as cannon to the films, but it's certainly interesting.

Wait, the original isn't in color as well?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Wait, the original isn't in color as well?
I'm positive the original comics were in color.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

G-Matt wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Wait, the original isn't in color as well?
I'm positive the original comics were in color.
They are.

I meant release the trade paperback in its original color version (Godzilla: Age of Monsters and Godzilla: Past Present Future were both originally released in black-and-white).

Sorry if I wasn't too clear on what I was trying to say (that seems to be a problem with me sometimes).

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Strangely, at the end, included is a comic by Matt Frank about the downfall of the Atlantian Civilization. I don't view any of it as cannon to the films, but it's certainly interesting.
IIRC Matt Frank did it purely as a fan/non-officially sanctioned comic and then was surprised to learn that either Kadokawa or whoever was publishing the comic actually wanted to print it.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Here’s some pictures I took:

Matt Franks Section:

Well, here it is, Godzilla being mentioned by name in a Gamera product:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Japanese television special from July 4, 1994, celebrating Gamera's legacy with Noriaki Yuasa, Nisan Takahashi, and Akira Inoue. The first hour is mostly a retrospective of the series, while the second hour seems to be more about Gamera: The Guardian of the Universe. There's a lot of great behind the scenes footage of that film.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Confirmation that the Arrow set is coming to the US and Canada: https://twitter.com/ArrowHelp/status/12 ... 4993487872

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

heiseigodzilla425 wrote:Confirmation that the Arrow set is coming to the US and Canada: https://twitter.com/ArrowHelp/status/12 ... 4993487872
I've seen the Twitter post. Now what I - and, for that matter, all of us here - want to know is: when is it coming, what will it have on it and most importantly (at least to me, that is) how much will it cost in American money?

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Terasawa wrote:Japanese television special from July 4, 1994, celebrating Gamera's legacy with Noriaki Yuasa, Nisan Takahashi, and Akira Inoue. The first hour is mostly a retrospective of the series, while the second hour seems to be more about Gamera: The Guardian of the Universe. There's a lot of great behind the scenes footage of that film.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv10-QatW9o[/]
That was awesome.
Damn, those miniatures were incredible.
Last edited by Destorogoji on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

New subject and a question.

I think I saw somewhere that Gamera vs. Barugon was released in Japan as a double feature with Daimajin (the date of release for both is the same (April 17, 1966)). Is this true and if so, which one was the top half of the double feature and which was the bottom half?
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

mikelcho wrote:New subject and a question.

I think I saw somewhere that Gamera vs. Barugon was released in Japan as a double feature with Daimajin (the date of release for both is the same (April 17, 1966)). Is this true and if so, which one was the top half of the double feature and which was the bottom half?

I did some digging and found these. The date is the same on both. We can at least confirm they were heavily advertised alongside one another.

I wonder if there's some Japanese Equivalent to the search engine Tamura and Terasawa like to use.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm surprised there's actually any doubt that they were released together.

Trailer:

They're noted as having screened together on the Japanese Wikipedia entries for both films. It's also mentioned by August Ragone or Jason Varney in their audio commentary on the Shout! disc. As I recall, there are also photos of the (combined, naturally) theater program on the same release. If you desire further confirmation, Wikipedia cites the 2005 publication Yomigaere! Yōkai eiga dai shūgō!! (ISBN 4-8124-2265-5).

During this period, Daiei's Tokyo and Kyoto studios coordinated the production of SFX films that would go on to screen together during holiday seasons:
  • One Hundred Monsters & Gamera vs. Viras (3/20/1968)
  • Great Yokai War & The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (12/14/1968)
  • Along with Ghosts & Gamera vs. Guiron (3/21/1969)
Added in 2 minutes 11 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I wonder if there's some Japanese Equivalent to the search engine Tamura and Terasawa like to use.
I just plug a Japanese title or name into Google and pull up the Japanese Wikipedia entry. There are usually relevant links there if I need more information.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Anyone know what Gamera vs. Gaos was paired with?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Tamura wrote:Anyone know what Gamera vs. Gaos was paired with?
Wikipedia says it screened with Small Fugitive, a Japanese-Soviet co-production.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Terasawa wrote:
Tamura wrote:Anyone know what Gamera vs. Gaos was paired with?
Wikipedia says it screened with Small Fugitive, a Japanese-Soviet co-production.
That Masaichi Nagata sure was all about pushing the envelope.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:I'm surprised there's actually any doubt that they were released together.

Trailer:

They're noted as having screened together on the Japanese Wikipedia entries for both films. It's also mentioned by August Ragone or Jason Varney in their audio commentary on the Shout! disc. As I recall, there are also photos of the (combined, naturally) theater program on the same release. If you desire further confirmation, Wikipedia cites the 2005 publication Yomigaere! Yōkai eiga dai shūgō!! (ISBN 4-8124-2265-5).

During this period, Daiei's Tokyo and Kyoto studios coordinated the production of SFX films that would go on to screen together during holiday seasons:
  • One Hundred Monsters & Gamera vs. Viras (3/20/1968)
  • Great Yokai War & The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (12/14/1968)
  • Along with Ghosts & Gamera vs. Guiron (3/21/1969)
Added in 2 minutes 11 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I wonder if there's some Japanese Equivalent to the search engine Tamura and Terasawa like to use.
I just plug a Japanese title or name into Google and pull up the Japanese Wikipedia entry. There are usually relevant links there if I need more information.
So according to the trailer, Daimajin was the top half of the double feature and Gamera vs. Barugon was the bottom half. Then, shortly after that came Return of Daimajin and Daimajin Strikes Again. Thanks, guys, for your help! Now I've got the order of release right for all of these films!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote:So according to the trailer, Daimajin was the top half of the double feature and Gamera vs. Barugon was the bottom half. Then, shortly after that came Return of Daimajin and Daimajin Strikes Again. Thanks, guys, for your help! Now I've got the order of release right for all of these films!
In the audio commentary, Ragone says Majin was "the support feature," which suggests to me that Gamera vs. Barugon was the main feature that followed and closed the show.

Added in 1 day 12 hours 23 minutes 39 seconds:
It looks like Daiei's Kyoto/Tokyo Studios double feature trend continued into 1970 as well, with Gamera vs. Jiger screening alongside Transparent Swordsman.

Posters for the three Gamera double features (I haven't been able to find one pairing Barugon and Majin).
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

I REALLY don't like the cover art for the new Complete Collection
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.