Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by JAGzilla »

I've had that happen, too. Star Wars was my life from about 2002-2011, but then I slammed into a wall with it and only intermittently care anymore, and not like I did. Same with dinosaurs/paleontology, although I did get back on board with that eventually.

As for Skull Island, don't forget that it contains a tunnel into the hollow earth. Kong seems to actively keep a lid on it, controlling access in or out, and that may be where he and Godzilla disagree.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I haven't watched Shin Godzilla since it came out in the states, which is why i don't really talk about the film that much. Wanna watch it again before i can give my feelings on it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

So I took a peek into the Monsterverse threads and I have come to a conclusion that I just don't care anymore.
I still love the movies and hope GVK does well, but I just don't care about the surrounding environment.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ScootaVaran wrote:So I took a peek into the Monsterverse threads and I have come to a conclusion that I just don't care anymore.
I still love the movies and hope GVK does well, but I just don't care about the surrounding environment.
Are you talking about just the MonsterVerse or the franchise as a whole?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Im probably in the minority for this one, I like the plot of Gamera the brave more than the 90s trilogy, that film is very underrated and is very charming.

I also think that toho mistreats its UK audience a bit when it comes to releases, asides the criterion set and kotm recently, for the last 2 decades we have been void of dvds and blurays with the exception of 98, 2014, the two toho kong films, 54 on dvd and the mysterians, thats it, we didnt even get the 50th anniversary dvds

Even then youd be lucky to get a hold of the UK criterion set for a fair price seeming they made it a limited release, so those that missed preordering will have to get it from 3rd party sellers for almost £200 at times
Last edited by realinvaderdesign on Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

realinvaderdesign wrote:Im probably in the minority for this one, I like the plot of Gamera the brave more than the 90s trilogy, that film is very underrated and is very charming.

I also think that toho mistreats its UK audience a bit when it comes to releases, asides the criterion set and kotm recently, for the last 2 decades we have been void of dvds and blurays with the exception of 98, 2014, the two toho kong films, 54 on dvd and the mysterians, thats it, we didnt even get the 50th anniversary dvds
Gamera the Brave is the best Showa-style Gamera film we ever got. And honestly Gamera being a true protector rather than a dark guardian I think works better for the character. So I can get behind this.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

realinvaderdesign wrote:I also think that toho mistreats its UK audience a bit when it comes to releases, asides the criterion set and kotm recently, for the last 2 decades we have been void of dvds and blurays with the exception of 98, 2014, the two toho kong films, 54 on dvd and the mysterians, thats it, we didnt even get the 50th anniversary dvds

Even then youd be lucky to get a hold of the UK criterion set for a fair price seeming they made it a limited release, so those that missed preordering will have to get it from 3rd party sellers for almost £200 at times
How is this Toho's fault? It's up to a licensor in the UK to pick up and distribute the films.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Toho's licenses are really expensive. Maybe all the UK distributors thought the films aren't worth the price. I don't blame them, considering the way Toho treats licensees in the English-speaking world. But it's okay, the UK got their Toho-authorized release finally, and fortunately for us who care about the content of these releases, it's unlikely that any UK distributor during the DVD era would have been able to get Toho to approve of anything interesting or unique if they had licensed the films, so we didn't miss anything then.
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

When I was younger, I legit thought that there were 2 Godzillas; 1 good and 1 bad. This line of reasoning came about when I watched King Kong vs Godzilla and Godzilla vs Megalon. It wasn't until much, MUCH later that I learned that it was the same 1 Godzilla (the character, not the suit) all throughout the Showa series.

It would have been interesting if there were 2 Godzillas battling each other, and I'm not talking about partial doppelgangers such as SpaceGodzilla and MechaGodzilla.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Marp
Yojimbo

Post by Marp »

realinvaderdesign wrote:I also think that toho mistreats its UK audience a bit when it comes to releases, asides the criterion set and kotm recently, for the last 2 decades we have been void of dvds and blurays with the exception of 98, 2014, the two toho kong films, 54 on dvd and the mysterians, thats it, we didnt even get the 50th anniversary dvds

I know how that feels. Finally getting a region free Blu-ray player and the Criterion release is so relieving, it's not even funny. I know they're not as good as they could be, but just being able to watch them at all is a blessing to me, heheh.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I realized I'm annoyed by the delay of Godzilla vs. Kong, not because of the delaying of the film itself, but rather it means we might have to wait longer for an actual Japanese Godzilla film which I desperately want to see in theaters while I'm here.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

I used to have a crush on the islander mom in King Kong vs. Godzilla; the one with the red coconut top that reprimanded the little islander boy for sneaking off into the berry juice shack.

I was only 8 when I crushed hard on her.
Last edited by skuzzy-punk-kid on Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I was more a Daiyo man myself
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

G2000 wrote:I was more a Daiyo man myself
Sorry, but everyone knows Namikawa is the best.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I never really latched on to any of the Godzilla ladies as a teenager. Does that count as a confession?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Sure. When younger, I didn't give much thought about the women, but now I have my favorites. Such as Daiyo.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The first Godzilla lady I was attracted to was Yukari Yamane from Destroyah.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Yuri Tachibana the reporter in GMK.

Also Maina & Miana, just wish they were in a better Godzilla anime.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Real talk: I unironically love A Space Godzilla. It's weird, it's trippy, it's so out of place in the Godzilla series and that's 100% my jam.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Marp
Yojimbo

Post by Marp »

Kiryu2012 wrote:Real talk: I unironically love A Space Godzilla. It's weird, it's trippy, it's so out of place in the Godzilla series and that's 100% my jam.
I can definitely see the appeal, I mean, it's a Godzilla story that's.. not a Godzilla story. It's almost as if the author went out of their way to have absolutely nothing to do with what Godzilla's percieved to be, at the time or nowadays. It's definitely a unique relic, I'm not quite sure if we could get something like it these days now that Godzilla and kaiju are back in a public light, though given the experimental theme of the Reiwa era's offerings, I suppose it's not completely out of the ballpark.