Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

H-Man wrote:So no Oscar nomination for Godzilla, King of the Monsters. The Visual Effects nominees are:

Avengers: Endgame
The Irishman
The Lion King
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
I don't think anyone's surprised lol
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I hope The Irishman or 1917 wins
The de-aging SFX in The Irishman wasn't 100% but it worked well enough, and while I haven't yet seen 1917 it looks pretty impressive
Also because fuck Disney but that's neither here nor there
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

We have someone who apparently watched the movie before re-edits!

https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... r/fe967tb/

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

What does the Christian imagery with King Ghidorah mean?

In the shot when Ghidorah lands on the volcano and makes his call to the other monsters, in front of the frame on the very right is a Christian cross.

Does this mean anything in relation to Ghidorah?

These things don't just appear by accident, they are carefully selected during the filmmaking process.

Does it mean the fall of mankind's lord and the rise of the monster's lord? As Jesus once heralded in a new age for mankind Ghidorah now heralds in a new age for the monsters.

Nani
Interpol Agent

Post by Nani »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:What does the Christian imagery with King Ghidorah mean?

In the shot when Ghidorah lands on the volcano and makes his call to the other monsters, in front of the frame on the very right is a Christian cross.

Does this mean anything in relation to Ghidorah?

These things don't just appear by accident, they are carefully selected during the filmmaking process.

Does it mean the fall of mankind's lord and the rise of the monster's lord? As Jesus once heralded in a new age for mankind Ghidorah now heralds in a new age for the monsters.
I think it refers to “The Beast” from the book of Revelations. The Beast is essentially called the False god. Revelations 13:3 “One of the heads of the beast seemed to have had a fatal wound, but the fatal wound had been healed. The whole world was filled with wonder and followed the beast.”

Sounds a lot like Ghidorah to me, considering “Kevin” had a mortal wound and fully healed by growing back. Then I suppose you could say the risen titans were the one who followed The Beast.
Last edited by Nani on Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Cool. Sounds like it.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I wish they stuck to the revelation motif more, would have made the film more unique. But yeah, gido is pretty much an homage to Satan.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

Gotta love how people always bitch and moan about a tiny little continuity error like this in KOTM yet consider it "totally fine because it happens" in Endgame when Ant-Man is sitting in a van and is suddenly shoving a fucking chitauri leviathan through a portal in the next shot, or when Thanos' armor on his right arm suddenly disappears whilst he fights Captain Marvel. Or also when Captain America's shield just suddenly assembles itself again for the Portals scene.

Jesus Christ the bias here.....

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Whose complaining about continuity?
He Jock it Made of Steel

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Godzillasaurus wrote:Gotta love how people always skreeonk and moan about a tiny little continuity error like this in KOTM yet consider it "totally fine because it happens" in Endgame when Ant-Man is sitting in a van and is suddenly shoving a skreeonking chitauri leviathan through a portal in the next shot, or when Thanos' armor on his right arm suddenly disappears whilst he fights Captain Marvel. Or also when Captain America's shield just suddenly assembles itself again for the Portals scene.

Jesus Christ the bias here.....
Wait huh? I'm pretty sure the shield was still in shambles. Also i think Marvel blew a piece of the shield off.

Also, errors are errors. But stuff like that are little things, and KOTM's errors..are not little. At all.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:Also, errors are errors. But stuff like that are little things, and KOTM's errors..are not little. At all.
Such as?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Also, errors are errors. But stuff like that are little things, and KOTM's errors..are not little. At all.
Such as?
Godzilla can somehow run in and slam Ghidorah's head into the ground, showing than he can already ragdoll him, and this was before the powerup. Now doing that even against one head is already pretty impressive since Ghidorah weighs tons more, so where the heck was this strength against the M.U.T.O's? This shows that Godzilla's power level is oddly dysfunctional.

Also, every MonsterVerse story, book or otherwise, cannot decide how many nukes struck Godzilla. Like in G14 and KSI, they say only one, but in KOTM and Birth of Kong they say multiple. Which is it?! If the writers keep fumbling like this i'm sure other people are gonna call them out for how odd the continuity is.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Such as?
Godzilla can somehow run in and slam Ghidorah's head into the ground, showing than he can already ragdoll him, and this was before the powerup. Now doing that even against one head is already pretty impressive since Ghidorah weighs tons more, so where the heck was this strength against the M.U.T.O's? This shows that Godzilla's power level is oddly dysfunctional.

Also, every MonsterVerse story, book or otherwise, cannot decide how many nukes struck Godzilla. Like in G14 and KSI, they say only one, but in KOTM and Birth of Kong they say multiple. Which is it?! If the writers keep fumbling like this i'm sure other people are gonna call them out for how odd the continuity is.
King Ghidorah just woke up after being frozen for a long ass time, Godzilla was exposed to radiation from the San Fransisco nuke. Also Godzilla isn't the only monster with superhuman strength. Male MUTO managed to life Godzilla for a bit.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Such as?

Godzilla dragged one head into the ground, he's a beast that's what he does. He weighs about 90k tons of pure muscle and fat, he'd surely drop a snake neck into the ground with raw force, which is, yes, a neck attached to a heavier monster. That's a non-issue though, as weight distribution is a heavy factor here.

The MUTOs were also getting pushed around, however the female was built like a tank so she was shoved around, while the male was literally tossed city blocks.

Nuke count is not a huge deal, as a nuke is still a nuke, regardless of the amount dropped. I'm sure it's just a case of he-said-she-said in universe
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Yeah there's that too. Slamming one of Ghidorah's heads into the ground and slamming all of him into the ground are two different things. It's like comparing grabbing someone's arm and slamming it into a table and grabbing someone by the torso and slamming their entire body into a wall.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Such as?

In G14 Sally Hawkins said Godzilla was nuked multiple times in the 60's. As for Strength he stopped the Female in mod air when she was jumping at him with one arm.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

King of The Monsters is way better than Endgame.

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

^I agree 100%. Endgame is probably the most overrated movie I've ever seen. It's not an abomination, but it's not THAT goddamn great either. It's painfully average, maybe even below average.

One of the aspects which really irks me is how people continue to bitch about the issues in KOTM yet totally neglect the whole slew of problems with Endgame. Like those continuity issues I mentioned earlier, the fact that the climax is totally irrelevant to the plot, the fact that the climax looks like shit and is nothing more than some shit flying on the screen for 10 minutes, the plot contrivances, etc.

Sure, if you hate KOTM, fine, that's your opinion. But Jesus Christ, there is nothing objectively better about the action scenes in Avengers Endgame by comparison to those in KOTM.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Godzillasaurus wrote:^I agree 100%. Endgame is probably the most overrated movie I've ever seen. It's not an abomination, but it's not THAT goddamn great either. It's painfully average, maybe even below average.

One of the aspects which really irks me is how people continue to skreeonk about the issues in KOTM yet totally neglect the whole slew of problems with Endgame. Like those continuity issues I mentioned earlier, the fact that the climax is totally irrelevant to the plot, the fact that the climax looks like poop and is nothing more than some poop flying on the screen for 10 minutes, the plot contrivances, etc.

Sure, if you hate KOTM, fine, that's your opinion. But Jesus Christ, there is nothing objectively better about the action scenes in Avengers Endgame by comparison to those in KOTM.
I don't recall anyone saying things in Endgame were objectively better, and the entire "climax looks like poop" thing is your opinion, not fact.

If anything Endgame's pretty good as far as Marvel films go because honestly i don't like most of them sans the Avengers films.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Endgame is a much better film than KOTM.