The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

MorgansTShirt
Samurai

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by MorgansTShirt »

Godzilla21 wrote:Who here still likes to think the Space Jockeys are large elephant like creatures and not as depicted in Prometheus?
I actually find both ideas—giant elephantoids and giant humans alike—pretty boring.

Embracing Giger's style and that bit of Lovecraft's influence on the first film, I prefer the idea that the Space Jockeys are beings capable of modifying their shape and biology with relative ease, fusing themselves with their technology in all kinds of wild ways, like how the Space Jockey encountered in the first film was described as being fused to its cockpit.

When you look at Giger's concept artwork, it's not all that elephantoid anyway, even if it calls to mind some of the essence of an elephant in outline and immensity, and its trunk looks like an artificial apparatus that was merged with its anatomy, to me at least.

My headcanon is that the Space Jockeys are a bizarre occult civilization who worship, revere, or even fetishize the interplay of life and death so much that they've merged everything warm and living with everything cold and artificial.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I like the theory that the Space Jockeys made the Engineers, just as they made Humans and Aliens. Like they just jump planets experimenting with new life. It may not hold much weight but I do like the idea, especially since we saw how large the Jockey from 79 was. There's no way an Engineer could grow that height, especially considering we saw their homeworld (sadly not through the eyes of "Paradise" like it was originally intended to be) and not one of them were beyond maybe 1 or 2 feet above normal human height.

I also like the theory that the Engineers/Jockeys and Predators are at constant war with each other. Since Predators are more tribal and hunt with moral codes (We don't talk about that weird hybrid Predator nonsense from 2018) while Engineers are more tech savvy and focus on the creation of life, but at the end of the day when they fight it's just 2 blood lusted warriors ripping each other apart.

huh.

Jockeys are Engineers. Prometheus established the "Jockey" is a suit Engineers wear for flying their ships.
the rest is just fan canon. No evidence at all. Just fan canon
Mhm. A fan theory.

Better than 15 foot Engineers coming out the woodworks never to be shown in any tie in Prometheus films.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I like the theory that the Space Jockeys made the Engineers, just as they made Humans and Aliens. Like they just jump planets experimenting with new life. It may not hold much weight but I do like the idea, especially since we saw how large the Jockey from 79 was. There's no way an Engineer could grow that height, especially considering we saw their homeworld (sadly not through the eyes of "Paradise" like it was originally intended to be) and not one of them were beyond maybe 1 or 2 feet above normal human height.

I also like the theory that the Engineers/Jockeys and Predators are at constant war with each other. Since Predators are more tribal and hunt with moral codes (We don't talk about that weird hybrid Predator nonsense from 2018) while Engineers are more tech savvy and focus on the creation of life, but at the end of the day when they fight it's just 2 blood lusted warriors ripping each other apart.

huh.

Jockeys are Engineers. Prometheus established the "Jockey" is a suit Engineers wear for flying their ships.
Mhm. A fan theory.

Better than 15 foot Engineers coming out the woodworks never to be shown in any tie in Prometheus films.

did you miss what I said? The Space Jockey is a 15 foot suit for ship piloting worn by the Engineers. There are no 15 foot Engineers, how are you coming to thic conclusion?

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

huh.

Mhm. A fan theory.

did you miss what I said? The Space Jockey is a 15 foot suit for ship piloting worn by the Engineers. There are no 15 foot Engineers, how are you coming to thic conclusion?
Lol. We saw the Engineer enter the Jockey suit, the Jockey suit is the size of the 8 foot Engineer, The Jockey suit in the 79 film was absolutely ginormous in comparison to the humans.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

One of the cooler concepts for the original Space Jockey I read once was saying it could be like an adult Eraserhead baby, with no true limbs (if there are any they're stunted and useless). They'd have to rely on biomechanical suits to get around, interfacing with technology to pilot ships and vehicles. But all that's moot now I guess.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Surprised no one's been talking about this bit of news. A group of high schoolers out of New Jersey for their school play adapted the original ALIEN for the stage. And even got a letter of congratulations ,and thumbs up from Sigourney Weaver and Ridley Scott for their work.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/355 ... lien-play/

Also for the franchise hitting the Big 4-O this year. The anniversary is being celebrated by a series of short films starting with ALIEN:Containment tomorrow from IGN.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/355 ... ort-films/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I thought the best of the shorts so far were Specimen and Ore. The other two were lackluster and a little plain to me.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Fun filled reviews of PREDATOR and PREDATOR 2 from video game reviewer, and political pundit, Razorfist The Rageholic.

Added in 5 months 3 days 22 hours 26 minutes 7 seconds:
Video looking at the history of the ALIEN rip-off , GALAXY OF TERROR , which kicked off the career of one James Cameron. And his work on the flick was a bit of basic training for ALIENS. Also revealed some of the shenanigans with 20th Century Fox, and ALIEN producing collaborators, Brandywine led to the sequel getting stuck in a ditch for a while.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So I guess because my expectations were so low but I ended up liking the new Predator movie this past weekend.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

miguelnuva wrote:So I guess because my expectations were so low but I ended up liking the new Predator movie this past weekend.
Weaponized autism.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

miguelnuva wrote:So I guess because my expectations were so low but I ended up liking the new Predator movie this past weekend.
No. I won't allow it.

https://youtu.be/8jRTUeGflCM

https://youtu.be/CJhq450Fjl4
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Living Corpse wrote:Weaponized autism.
Don't forget an dumbass father mailing advanced alien tech to home where his autistic son is rather then to some place like Area 51. Nothing can go wrong there!

And autistic kid not horrified he just accidentally killed someone while wearing Predator mask trick or treating and brushing it off like it was nothing.

Go-Go Predarangers!!!!
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Weaponized autism.
Don't forget an dumbass father mailing advanced alien tech to home where his autistic son is rather then to some place like Area 51. Nothing can go wrong there!

And autistic kid not horrified he just accidentally killed someone while wearing Predator mask trick or treating and brushing it off like it was nothing.

Go-Go Predarangers!!!!
God I can't believe someone listed this movie as being a better monster movie than KOTM. Never mind they are different types of monster films.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

At this point, Alien, Predator and Terminator are dead. Fox has run them into the ground with their terrible decisions and hunger for money.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Birdman wrote:At this point, Alien, Predator and Terminator are dead. Fox has run them into the ground with their terrible decisions and hunger for money.
They're notably one of those franchises that should had ended long ago.

If you're gonna continue doing them. Do something new or different as the new Child's Play did.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

I remember when Shane Black was announced to direct it, and I felt like it was going to be good. Then when I read everything about it, saw the trailers, I felt Dutch confronting Dillion in the first movie. "YOU SET US UP! IT'S ALL BULLSHIT, ALL OF IT!".

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maverick Centigrade wrote:I remember when Shane Black was announced to direct it, and I felt like it was going to be good. Then when I read everything about it, saw the trailers, I felt Dutch confronting Dillion in the first movie. "YOU SET US UP! IT'S ALL BULLSHIT, ALL OF IT!".
This is the same idiot that did Iron Man 3, considered one of the worst MCU films made. Why would you think it'd be good from the start? :?

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Birdman wrote:At this point, Alien, Predator and Terminator are dead. Fox has run them into the ground with their terrible decisions and hunger for money.
They're notably one of those franchises that should had ended long ago.

If you're gonna continue doing them. Do something new or different as the new Child's Play did.
As much as the films are struggling I don't agree that these franchises are dead especially when it comes to Alien. Outside of Star Trek and Star Wars I don't think any other film series has become such a rich universe unto itself within the literature world then Alien. Combine that with Dark Horses comics and Audible's audio dramas you have a pretty strong property without any new films to boost them.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Maverick Centigrade wrote:I remember when Shane Black was announced to direct it, and I felt like it was going to be good. Then when I read everything about it, saw the trailers, I felt Dutch confronting Dillion in the first movie. "YOU SET US UP! IT'S ALL BULLSHIT, ALL OF IT!".
This is the same idiot that did Iron Man 3, considered one of the worst MCU films made. Why would you think it'd be good from the start? :?
Because he played Hawkins and helped with some of the script in the first movie IIRC. I assumed him being part of the first movie would be advantageous.

But nope.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maverick Centigrade wrote:Because he played Hawkins and helped with some of the script in the first movie IIRC. I assumed him being part of the first movie would be advantageous.

But nope.
And how in the skreeonk did he go from that to degrading to that atrocity (The Predator 2018)?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.