Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by _JNavs_ »

GuardianGhido wrote:Well poop, this one's gonna be a trashfire too. Bye bye Monsterverse. I'm just gonna leave the forums now. I'll be back if anything good happens.
You've been positive since you created an account here, and now you've spun a full 360 to the point of saying something like this... What?

You also never called KOTM and the entirety of the Monsterverse a "trashfire" until now, so once again... what?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Welp GvK is apparently postponed till next November. For those who don't touch the spoilers thread.

Added in 5 minutes 24 seconds:
Hopefully they'll lay off any promotion for awhile. We don't need a repeat of KotM.
This post made me laugh because I realized the last few weeks have been wars over bickering if it was delayed or not and half the site didn't see what was going on lol.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Just find it odd they waited so close to release before making the announcement.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Post by KingZillla »

Unfortunate, but I saw this coming from a mile away. I knew after KOTM that they'd want to make some changes
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Just find it odd they waited so close to release before making the announcement.
I’m sure they’ve been working on their strategy and didn’t want to commit to anything until they had a plan locked in, which would be now.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Oh well at least we don't have to be under suspense wondering when promotion will begin. That also means I don't have to waste my remaining vacation time to make the Thursday showing.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

KingKaiju wrote:Yeah, I wanna see a Godzilla who steadily cares less about the wellbeing of humans. I mean, he already kind of doesn't. He said "skreeonk it" and smashed through that bridge in 2014. But I want some Gamera 3 type poop. Atomic breathing through buildings to his his opponent or something.
He already does that. When Mothra webbed Ghidorah to a skyscraper, Godzilla just took Ghidorah and the skyscraper down with zero F's given. He's not worried about humans much at all.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Pacfanweb wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Yeah, I wanna see a Godzilla who steadily cares less about the wellbeing of humans. I mean, he already kind of doesn't. He said "skreeonk it" and smashed through that bridge in 2014. But I want some Gamera 3 type poop. Atomic breathing through buildings to his his opponent or something.
He already does that. When Mothra webbed Ghidorah to a skyscraper, Godzilla just took Ghidorah and the skyscraper down with zero F's given. He's not worried about humans much at all.
I just wouldn't mind seeing more of it. One of my most memorable moments in the Heisei Gamera trilogy was when he just destroyed Sapporo and unintentionally killed all those people along with the Gyoas. It'd be nice to see some of the weight that comes with Godzilla strolling through a city.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

To be honest,

I’m looking forward to another year of hype and anticipation
Yooo 8-)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKaiju wrote:
Pacfanweb wrote:
I just wouldn't mind seeing more of it. One of my most memorable moments in the Heisei Gamera trilogy was when he just destroyed Sapporo and unintentionally killed all those people along with the Gyoas. It'd be nice to see some of the weight that comes with Godzilla strolling through a city.
And one second later he protects a child. A lot of people bring this up but Gamera was not really as different in G3 as people think.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

miguelnuva wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
Pacfanweb wrote: He already does that. When Mothra webbed Ghidorah to a skyscraper, Godzilla just took Ghidorah and the skyscraper down with zero F's given. He's not worried about humans much at all.
And one second later he protects a child. A lot of people bring thisnyp but Gamera was not really as different in G3 as people think.
I think that's the point though. He's not meaner or angrier, which I thought was the point of the story of Ayana. He didn't intend to kill her parents, but he did. Now we're finally just getting to see what happens to people who are there. That's one thing I absolutely loved about Godzilla's arrival in 2014. Dude doesn't mean to kill all those people, but because he's so big, it happens.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Gamera is shown to care a little less about collateral damage in part 3 I’d argue but as you’ve all stated...Ayana’s story implies he’s always been a monster where the ends justify the means.

I think the scarier visage is meant to make us question if he truly is good like the characters do in the film.

By the film’s end we have our answer.

I am thinking now if Gamera really does have as much of an arc as I thought across the three films....

Hmmmmm. Interesting debate

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

God that Heisei series is so good. I think it’s time to revisit those films.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gamera only really goes out of his way in G2 and in G3 he was fighting a bigger war and couldn't afford to be helpful. They try to tease he no longer has a human heart because his connection to Asagi is gone but this plot is the only negative of G3. Even in G1 he marches through the city to get to the two Gyaos in the dome.

I wish now G1 and G2 would have shown Gamera going out of his way to protect people so in G3 his destruction looks that much more out of character. The way it looked was Gamera just wasn't holding back in Shibuya more then he lost his human heart.

And to tie back in to KOTM I still say a big budget version of the Shibuya fight is how you introduce Gamera in the monsterverse.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I think Gamera might be a little more likely to not care about humans but I think the point of the scarier visage is that we are supposed to doubt his alliance with people. That Shibuya attack is meant to make us question if he’s a good guy or not so that Ayana’s story has more impact.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

miguelnuva wrote:Gamera only really goes out of his way in G2 and in G3 he was fighting a bigger war and couldn't afford to be helpful. They try to tease he no longer has a human heart because his connection to Asagi is gone but this plot is the only negative of G3. Even in G1 he marches through the city to get to the two Gyaos in the dome.

I wish now G1 and G2 would have shown Gamera going out of his way to protect people so in G3 his destruction looks that much more out of character. The way it looked was Gamera just wasn't holding back in Shibuya more then he lost his human heart.

And to tie back in to KOTM I still say a big budget version of the Shibuya fight is how you introduce Gamera in the monsterverse.
Gamera’s Fukuoka “rampage” in GOTU comes before the establishment of Asagi as his priestess. He has no human connection at this point.

And what are you talking about? Both G1 and G2 show him protecting people. Remember the suspension bridge scene in GOTU? The airport battle in G2?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

He protects a child in G3 and even sacrifices a limb to save Ayana.

His protection of the child in G3 directly mirrors the bridge attack scene in GOTU actually

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Gamera only really goes out of his way in G2 and in G3 he was fighting a bigger war and couldn't afford to be helpful. They try to tease he no longer has a human heart because his connection to Asagi is gone but this plot is the only negative of G3. Even in G1 he marches through the city to get to the two Gyaos in the dome.

Gamera’s Fukuoka “rampage” in GOTU comes before the establishment of Asagi as his priestess. He has no human connection at this point.

And what are you talking about? Both G1 and G2 show him protecting people. Remember the suspension bridge scene in GOTU? The airport battle in G2?
He protects people yes as I mentioned, I forgot the bridge scene when I made my post.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I just noticed this, but the ship that shows up after Godzilla nukes Boston (right before Ghidorah shows up) is called the Calico. The same ship from the Hanna Barbera cartoon!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

tyrantgoji wrote:I just noticed this, but the ship that shows up after Godzilla nukes Boston (right before Ghidorah shows up) is called the Calico. The same ship from the Hanna Barbera cartoon!
Yes.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock