Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by kaijukurt »

If the film is still on track for a March release, I still think a Hong Kong battle royale finale would be seen by many Chinese (Mainland & HK audience alike) as inappropriate/insensitive given the current political climate. Just a thought.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

kaijukurt wrote:If the film is still on track for a March release, I still think a Hong Kong battle royale finale would be seen by many Chinese (Mainland & HK audience alike) as inappropriate/insensitive given the current political climate. Just a thought.
That’s unfortunate given that Transformers 3 and 4, Pacific Rim, Skyscraper, and Battleship were filmed there and benefited from the box office (although the latter bombed everywhere and was labeled a bomb in the end, and was a bad movie either way).
Last edited by JGAR on Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yooo 8-)

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

kaijukurt wrote:If the film is still on track for a March release, I still think a Hong Kong battle royale finale would be seen by many Chinese (Mainland & HK audience alike) as inappropriate/insensitive given the current political climate. Just a thought.
I really don’t think anyone cares about it

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

JGAR wrote:
That’s unfortunate given that Transformers 3 and 4, Pacific Rim, Skyscraper, and Battleship were filmed there and benefited from the box office (although the latter bombed everywhere and was labeled a bomb in the end, and was a bad movie either way).
None of those films were made during the current political climate over there, though.

keizerkaiju
Monarch Researcher

Post by keizerkaiju »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Incorrect, well, incorrect on them not debuting any new marketing material because they already have at a licensing expo a month or two ago.
No, they didn't...
Don't know what rock you were under when this happened but:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3FHyDmhObe ... 5z0ngzb44w
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3F7qhLB2cS ... wq4dli9kdx
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3GT7aLBZSa ... 8ugyszassn

Inb4 "toys aren't marketing materials!!"
Interesting marketing materials for Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla: Final Wars. :P

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

They could just have a disclaimer before the film starts saying that the movie filmed the Hong Kong before the events in real life happened.

Like what Disney+ does with its older films and what HBO Max is going to do with "older" movies too. It's a easy "fix" and less expensive than just scratching off a chunk of the script and making the crew go back to the writing tables and re-film it.

If there's a reason it gets delayed, that's probably why. But if anything, a Disclaimer would work (unless people are THAT offended).

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

When Godzilla roars, have subtitles that say: "Liberate Hong Kong!!!" to which Kong roars back with subtitles reading: "Beijing!!!"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

keizerkaiju wrote:
Interesting marketing materials for Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla: Final Wars. :P
You do know those are 100% brand new figures, right? Why would Bandai make a Kong figure for a two year old movie and not the brand new film coming out in a few months?
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

tyrantgoji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Cookson wrote:
Where is it popping up at? Would like to read
https://youtu.be/rL0S-wmcbHU

This sums it up. Basically there's 3 different people on the MV reddit saying Jörmungandr is in the film and the reason Godzilla does what he does he wants to keep Jörmungandr sleeping. They also imply if true Ghidorah was scared of him.
Okay look i know i said i wasn't gonna comment on this thread till the trailer came out but..the fact it came from their makes this very hard to believe.
Which is why I said a rumor and if true. I know this is strong evidence but kotm did leak on 4chan.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

keizerkaiju
Monarch Researcher

Post by keizerkaiju »

UltramanGoji wrote:
keizerkaiju wrote:
You do know those are 100% brand new figures, right? Why would Bandai make a Kong figure for a two year old movie and not the brand new film coming out in a few months?
I do know, and maybe they're referencing the new movie...but still have nothing to do with it, other than the figures being Godzilla and Kong.
It says right there in the boxes: "Kong: Skull Island" and "Godzilla (2004)".
But let's suppose for one second that it's the Kong from the new movie. Why would they pair him with the Final Wars Godzilla?

Added in 7 minutes 38 seconds:
gridiron_kaiju wrote:
Yeah, I mean...I don't think it's impossible that the political climate could affect the movie somehow. Unlikely, but not impossible.
It would be a silly controversy, though, since it's a monster movie with creatures that have no political affiliation whatsoever.
You'd think the Mulan remake would be in a trickier position given that the star came out in support of the HK police, but Disney is still moving ahead with that one.
Last edited by keizerkaiju on Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

Sorry guys, I think the Thanksgiving Godzilla & Kong parade balloons rumors are a bust. It's in 6 days and theres no such balloons in the lineup:

https://www.macys.com/social/parade/lineup/balloons/

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Rodan95 wrote:Sorry guys, I think the Thanksgiving Godzilla & Kong parade balloons rumors are a bust. It's in 6 days and theres no such balloons in the lineup:

https://www.macys.com/social/parade/lineup/balloons/
O O F.

Also can i say that Ronald Mcdonald float was a suprise? Seriously when was the last time i've seen him in..anything?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

keizerkaiju wrote:
gridiron_kaiju wrote:
Yeah, I mean...I don't think it's impossible that the political climate could affect the movie somehow. Unlikely, but not impossible.
It would be a silly controversy, though, since it's a monster movie with creatures that have no political affiliation whatsoever.
I agree with all of the above but...never underestimate the lengths some people will go to look for reasons to be offended in today’s day and age.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

JesstrK wrote:
keizerkaiju wrote:
gridiron_kaiju wrote:
I agree with all of the above but...never underestimate the lengths some people will go to look for reasons to be offended in today’s day and age.
Like I said:

WB could just have a disclaimer before the film starts. It would say that the movie filmed the Hong Kong before the events in real life happened. Kind of like what Disney+ does with its older films and what HBO Max is going to do with "older" content too.

If WB gets slack for that ^ well WB would just tell the offended people to grow up. Thats what they said with the Joker controversy :P :lol:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Guarantee you it'll be Americans who are more offended than Hong Kong. Some people in the U.S. thrive on being offended and hurt.
(They're also usually verified on Twitter for some reason)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote:Guarantee you it'll be Americans who are more offended than Hong Kong. Some people in the U.S. thrive on being offended and hurt.
Being “offended” is nothing compared to legitimate regime-backed censorship. Consider that the Chinese government bans Winnie the Pooh just because someone said it looks like the CCP Leader/Leader of China.

It’s completely fair game to believe that it’s role in the film may cause issues. We will have to wait and see though. Most likely nothing to worry about.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Guarantee you it'll be Americans who are more offended than Hong Kong. Some people in the U.S. thrive on being offended and hurt.
Being “offended” is nothing compared to legitimate regime-backed censorship. Consider that the Chinese government bans Winnie the Pooh just because someone said it looks like the CCP Leader/Leader of China.

It’s completely fair game to believe that it’s role in the film may cause issues. We will have to wait and see though. Most likely nothing to worry about.
I had no clue why Winnie was banned, I thought it was simply because he represented a free country. It's a little humorous that Hong Kong citizens are comparing him to the CCP Leader though. I wonder why the Chinese government seems.. insecure? I do agree that it could be a cause for concern for GvK though.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

I can't wait to watch this movie in march 2021.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

_JNavs_ wrote: I had no clue why Winnie was banned, I thought it was simply because he represented a free country.
How in the world did you think Pooh represented a free country? :lol: Genuinely curious here.
_JNavs_ wrote: I wonder why the Chinese government seems.. insecure?
Fear keeps people in line. Find something to make a joke out of the dictators and their foundations start to crumble.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

UltramanGoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: I had no clue why Winnie was banned, I thought it was simply because he represented a free country.
How in the world did you think Pooh represented a free country? :lol: Genuinely curious here.
:lol:, because the whole Winnie = America thing, similar to how they view Mickey Mouse (I think?).
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.