Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
keizerkaiju
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by keizerkaiju »

Short marketing campaigns aren't unheard of, but they can backfire. Take a recent example w Doctor Sleep.
There are a myriad of possible reasons of why it flopped: nobody asked for it, it's been too long since The Shining, the long running time, etc. but some are blaming the short and weak marketing campaign. It only kicked into gear around 2-3 months before the movie premiered, and it was a case of "too little, too late".
It had a budget of 45-55 million so not really a tentpole, but it could end up making Warner lose as much as 20 million.

We all can agree KOTM wasn't a major success despite the long marketing campaign it had, but I'm not sure Warner can "save" GvK with a short one. If they make it "bombastic" and plaster the movie everywhere and have ads running all day it's going to be a major expense anyway, so not much saving.
But if they make it anemic like Dr. Sleep's, may as well brace for another flop.

Added in 7 minutes 35 seconds:
JGAR wrote: If anything, they’re either A) gonna drop an explosive trailer that’s gonna rival the Infinity War trailer in terms of views and reception (and should preferably during a major event like the Thanksgiving games instead of a random day like December 10th when its buzz and hype will get drowned by Wonder Woman 1984 and any other major trailers that will for sure come out during the week of Jumanji and Star Wars IX) or B) they’re doing a great job trying to keep production troubles and horrible test screenings under wraps.
Being realistic, it can't hope to match the Infinity War trailer in terms of views, let alone reception.
Don't get me wrong, I hope that whenever it comes out, it doesn't fail to impress. But the MV doesn't play in the same league as the MCU.

Option B would be sad, but it's also weird no one has "leaked" info from a test screening. I think the entire plot of KOTM was leaked several months in advance, in 4chan or a site like that.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Like i said,Legendary kept things under the rug this time. Delay or no delay.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:
Shadowfyre wrote:So supposedly the trailer will drop in December? I don't know, all of this sounds a bit much.
That's what people are clinging onto. People really believe that Warner Bros/Legendary will only have a 3 month marketing campaign for Godzilla vs Kong - it's actually pretty funny
Whats funny is you have no idea of the inner workings of their marketing strategy and are just as in the dark as the rest of us. Yet you act like you know what they are thinking.

I would think they would have announced a delay by now. But they haven't. I still feel its just taking time to get away from KOTM and have a shorter (cheaper) and more explosive marketing campaign
Studios do NOT have 3 month marketing campaigns for movies that cost over $150 million to make. Those types of marketing campaigns are reserved for low budget, especially horror, films. As for the not announcing: No, officially there hasn't been any announcement. There was however a strong insinuation by the HEAD of Warner Bros saying that it could come out later in the year so they could deliver an A+ movie.

We are less than 4 months away with absolutely nothing. I'm not even just talking about a trailer. No still images, no viral marketing, no nothing.

Face it, the announcement of a delay is an inevitability

Added in 2 minutes 46 seconds:
Also, I know people want to discredit Grace Randolph (which I understand), but what if she is really telling the truth. She said it currently doesn't have a release date. Warner Bros isn't gonna announce a delay until they set a new date

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Yeah it would be a better PR move to announce a new release date rather than... “Godzilla vs. Kong removed from schedule”
Yooo 8-)

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

We are less than 4 months away with absolutely nothing. I'm not even just talking about a trailer. No still images, no viral marketing, no nothing.
We're still 5 months and 20 days out.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

It’s clear that some of you need to find other hobbies...

Or at least ones that make you less angry
Last edited by gridiron_kaiju on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

Alrighty, Here's some stats I discovered. This is just statistics, no opinions here. Took me awhile to get this all together:
- Production (End): 7/14/2013
- Trailer Dropped on 12/10/2013
- Post-Production Ends: 3/14
- Release Date: 5/16/14

Pre-Production to Production was (6 months).

Production took around (4 months).

The trailer dropped around (5 months) after Post-Production started and (6 months) before the release date.

Post-Production ended (2 months) before the release date and took (8 Months) overall.

Movie dropped (2 months) later Post Production ended.

Kong Skull Island (2017)
- Pre-Production: 10/14
- Production (Start): 10/19/15
- Production (End): 3/18/16
- Trailer Dropped on 7/23/2016
- Post-Production Ends: UNKNOWN
- Release Date: 3/10/17

Pre-Production to Production was (12 months).

Production took around (4 months).

The trailer dropped around (4 months) after Post-Production started and (7-8 months) before the release date.

There is little to info about when Post-Production ended. If anyone knows, let me know and I will re-edit this post.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)
- Pre-Production: 1/17
- Production (Start): 6/19/17
- Production (End): 9/27/17
- Trailer Dropped on 7/18/18
- Post-Production Ends: 11/16/18
- Release Date: 5/30/19

Pre-Production to Production was (6 months).

Production took around (3-4 months).

The trailer dropped around (10 months) after Post-Production started and (10-11 months) before the release date.

Post-Production ended (6 months) before the movie released.

Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
- Pre-Production: 6/17
- Production (Start): 11/12/18
- Production (End): 4/19/19
- Trailer Dropped on UNKNOWN
- Post-Production Ends: STILL IN POST
- Release Date: 3/13/20

Pre-Production to Production was (17 months).

Production took around (5 months).

Right now in this crazy world we live in, we are 7 months into Post-Production with Godzilla vs. Kong. Take that as you will.

Just remember the Post Production mainly:
Godzilla (2014) - 8 Months
Kong: Skull Island - Unknown (Probably 9-10 months)
Godzilla: King of the Monsters - 12-13 Months

We are 4 months away now. The film needs at least 1 - 2 months before it goes to theaters for test screenings. That shaves off 1-2 months of Post Production. The movie NEEDS to be finished by January in order to keep the release date.

Added in 11 minutes 38 seconds:
gridiron_kaiju wrote:It’s clear that some of you need to find other hobbies...

Or at least ones that make you less angry
You aren't wrong. Myself included lol :lol:
Last edited by Rodan95 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

batzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by batzilla »

So just something random, but have you guys noticed that GODZILLA VS KONG and FORD V FERRARI have almost the exact same logo style. Same font and almost the exact same colors. Kinda weird.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

batzilla wrote:So just something random, but have you guys noticed that GODZILLA VS KONG and FORD V FERRARI have almost the exact same logo style. Same font and almost the exact same colors. Kinda weird.

Confirmed trailer tomorrow. Lol
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Moogabunga wrote: Studios do NOT have 3 month marketing campaigns for movies that cost over $150 million to make.
Beyond the Marvel films not many big blockbusters have sequels several months after the last film. So we are in uncharted territory here. Which again goes to my point, we don't know anything (yet like to declare we do...)

I've been on Godzilla message boards since 1998 and I've seen a lot of dorks say "this is inevitable" or "this is for sure happening" only for them to be wrong. Point is no one knows anything and I prefer the wait and see approach as to declaring something empirically.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

I keep telling everyone to BE PATIENT.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

1. Stop bringing up the head of WB says there would be a delay if you also don't bring up WB reaffirming the release date world wide after the delay article.

2. Kotm was not a flop, it still.made nearly 400m worldwide. Underperformed yea, flop no.

3. The trailer being overshadowed by Wonder Wokan online doesn't matter that much because ultimately the entire movie going audiance is not on the internet. The trailer needs to be in front of big films in theater and they need real good TV spots on tv.

4. Finally we know two things about this film. Kotm likely did what it did as it followed the biggest movie of all time, followed Aladdin another 1B film and was sandwiched between 3 more 1B films. It hand endgame and Aladdin in the front with Toy story 4, spiderman the number 1 super hero in the world by far and The Lion King behind it. Godzilla vs Kong had so much buzz when it was rumored ABC news covered it.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

_JNavs_ wrote:
....................what? :eh:

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

_JNavs_ wrote:
March 14th is exactly 4 months from today. Godzilla vs Kong is supposedly set for March 13th, 1 day less than 4 months.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

ebirah_scampi wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
March 14th is exactly 4 months from today. Godzilla vs Kong is supposedly set for March 13th, 1 day less than 4 months.
Oh I figured it was like late March. I gotcha.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

you guys need to be more patient, I'm still waiting for the return of the dragon ball super anime, so you guys could wait a few more weeks for info

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

BurningCoolMan wrote:you guys need to be more patient,I'm still waiting for the return of the dragon ball super anime, so you guys could wait a few more weeks for info
Probs not happening. They'll just make an entire new series in general.

On topic,i want Rodan to at least try and help fight MechaG.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

If you guys haven’t noticed.. The Wayback, a WB film, just had its first trailer released today. It’s set for March ONE WEEK before GvsKong.

If we’re to follow that, the trailer for GvsKong should come out next week. Considering Tokyo Comic Con starts next weekend, that could be the moment.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Master Doot
GPN Volunteer

Post by Master Doot »

Cookson wrote:If you guys haven’t noticed.. The Wayback, a WB film, just had its first trailer released today. It’s set for March ONE WEEK before GvsKong.

If we’re to follow that, the trailer for GvsKong should come out next week. Considering Tokyo Comic Con starts next weekend, that could be the moment.
Key word being should. If it follows the same suit as last year, Tokyo Comic Con could get an exclusive look at the trailer and the offical trailer being dropped a few days after or potentially the Thanksgiving day rumor which would be awesome. Either way, I would say the window for the trailer would be between Nov 21 - Dec 12.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cookson wrote:If you guys haven’t noticed.. The Wayback, a WB film, just had its first trailer released today. It’s set for March ONE WEEK before GvsKong.

Which is what I've been saying for awhile. Tokyo comic con passes with nothing then we can start worrying about a potential delay. With the big December expo happening I'd say ROS is our limit for the March release however.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image