Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Post by Zarm »

Precisely. King Ghidorah is an entirely overrated bad guy; all talk and rep, no actual payoff (except for generally being a damage sponge that can absorb a lot of punishment... and since 2004, having a cheap instant-win vampire bite.) :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

King Ghidorah suffers from what a lot of fictional people suffer from. People remember the loss but not what caused the loss.

Mothra beat Godzilla and it still took her, Godzilla and Rodan and the three only won because Rodan could think on his feet.

Ghidorah got screwed out a victory in MZ because Toho decided that the way Kong won in 62 means defeat in 65.

DAM once again, he took anywhere from 3-6 months perpicating with Godzilla, Gorosaurs and Angurius just being the most cqc.

I won't mention Gigan because Godzilla buried everyone in the 70's.

At the end of the day Godzilla never took a fight to Ghidorah one on one and when any monster did Ghidorah Came out on top.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Ghidorah never came out on top, that I can recall; except in 1 out of 3 fights with Zone Fighter. He took a lot of effort to put down, but he never dished out serious damage in return (unless you take Ebirah as indirect evidence). Not saying that it didn't take a lot of kaiju to put him down... but it takes a lot of punches to knock down a brick wall, too. It doesn't make the wall actually threatening. :)
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

One thing I noticed on my most recent viewing, is that it’s implied/shown Ghidorah would presumably beat all the monsters one on one.

Ghidorah blasts the shit out of Mothra (no surprise there).
Ghidorah seriously pushes back Godzilla, tosses him against that bridge (for early showa era this is a big deal).
Ghidorah pretty much instantly gets up from Rodman’s midair swoop and proceeds to punish Rodan hard.

I’m not interested in getting into a debate of how strong Ghidorah is. However, from the context of the film, it seems like they did want to show that Ghidorah could handle all three individual kaiju easily. It ties into the actual plot of the film(which is not entirely Ghidorah centric), which is the kaiju forgiving each other (Mothra forgiving Godzilla for killing the sibling, and Rodan and Godzilla putting aside their differences). I’ve gained more respect because I see Ghidorah less as an original monster meant to have personality, and rather something that was craftily created in order to stand against some of the most famous Japanese monsters and counter them each.

Ghidorah has parallels to:
Mothra: For starting out in an “egg”, in the form of the meteor, having a “shoujibin” in the Venusian herald, and “fantasy vs sci-fi”.. If you think about the larva, and it originally having a sibling, Ghidorah also counters Mothra in being a “team player”, in that it intrinsically has three heads.
Rodan: for flight and speed
Godzilla: for strength and his beam attacks

The issue is, Ghidorah outside the context of this specific film really falls apart and just becomes a “big scary dragon.”

Also I have a lot to say about the Champion Cut I saw on Saturday, but I like this conversation so let me know when anyone wants to move on.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah after Three Headed Monster Ghidorah gets mind controlled all the time and seems to become 'a bit stronger than Godzilla' in the Showa movies. Hence why I love Grand King Ghidorah, MV King Ghidorah and even GMK Ghidorah so much...they all are either in charge as the big bad and/or very much under their own control.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^^I like that analysis, LSD Jellyfish. On the subject of how strong Ghidorah is, I think it's valuable to compare his rampage to those of the other three monsters from previous films. Godzilla's original attack on Tokyo seemed to last pretty much the whole night. Rodan's assault on Fukuoka probably lasts a while too. Mothra's attack on Rolisca is probably the fastest of the three, while still causing considerable damage.
Ghidorah's attack on the countryside, however, goes VERY quickly - as though the full destruction of the towns and cities literally happened in mere minutes. Ghidorah, as already mentioned, has all of the advantages of the Earth monsters; so while no single trait of his may be obviously superior, of the four monsters in the film Ghidorah is likely the most efficiently destructive of them all.
If we go with the analogy of Ghidorah as a bully, too, it makes sense that the three Earth monsters could drive Ghidorah away somewhat easily. Bullies are cowards, and as strong as Ghidorah is, he might not be used to the type of organized resistance which Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra display.
Ultimately, I'd agree that Ghidorah is more of a symbol than a real character; but then, that's what Ishiro Honda preferred the monsters to be, so it seems fair that newcomer Ghidorah would be realized this way, especially when Godzilla, etc were starting to evolve.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ghidorah is a really powerful monster but at the same time he's never been challange up to that point. He's like Mike Tyson, Tyson had great knockout power but when that power failed him he wasn't a great boxer.

I'd bet my house Ghidorah never encountered something as stubborn as Godzilla and Rodan before which is why he's power doesn't seem as impressive as what people in the films make him out to be.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

While he may not be outstanding against other powerful monsters, Ghidorah is pretty well unmatched in terms of his ability to efficiently dole out death and destruction. He has all the power of Rodan's wings and Godzilla's ray combined, plus he can spam that ray three times faster than Godzilla.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rody wrote: On the subject of how strong Ghidorah is, I think it's valuable to compare his rampage to those of the other three monsters from previous films. Godzilla's original attack on Tokyo seemed to last pretty much the whole night. Rodan's assault on Fukuoka probably lasts a while too. Mothra's attack on Rolisca is probably the fastest of the three, while still causing considerable damage. Ghidorah's attack on the countryside, however, goes VERY quickly - as though the full destruction of the towns and cities literally happened in mere minutes.
It's worth noting that Ghidorah starts out in Kurobe, in Toyama prefecture, and travels to Tokyo rather quickly, and then to Shizuoka for the climax. It's hard to explain the movement to people that don't live in Japan, but it's decently quick and erratic. The distance that Godzilla and Rodan spend the film traveling (Yokohama to the Fuji area) is relatively small compared to Ghidorah's flight path.

I'm thinking in the future, creating maps of events in each Godzilla movie, to make things make more sense in context, of where cities are and monsters traveling movements. Since I moved to Japan, I've realized how the locations of monsters in the films make logical sense and often play into the films narratives. It's something that prior that was easy to ignore. If possible I'd like to include things like timeframes, and landmarks or important areas destroyed.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'm thinking in the future, creating maps of events in each Godzilla movie, to make things make more sense in context, of where cities are and monsters traveling movements. Since I moved to Japan, I've realized how the locations of monsters in the films make logical sense and often play into the films narratives. It's something that prior that was easy to ignore. If possible I'd like to include things like timeframes, and landmarks or important areas destroyed.
That would be really interesting. Biollante is the only entry I can think of where the movie actually gives us much detail about the geography.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'm thinking in the future, creating maps of events in each Godzilla movie, to make things make more sense in context, of where cities are and monsters traveling movements. Since I moved to Japan, I've realized how the locations of monsters in the films make logical sense and often play into the films narratives. It's something that prior that was easy to ignore. If possible I'd like to include things like timeframes, and landmarks or important areas destroyed.
That would be really interesting. Biollante is the only entry I can think of where the movie actually gives us much detail about the geography.
I think that could be pretty valuable. The locations of the films are probably among the worst stereotyped aspects ("always Tokyo"), so having a better grounding in the geography of the stories would probably do the fandom a lot of good.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Rody wrote: On the subject of how strong Ghidorah is, I think it's valuable to compare his rampage to those of the other three monsters from previous films. Godzilla's original attack on Tokyo seemed to last pretty much the whole night. Rodan's assault on Fukuoka probably lasts a while too. Mothra's attack on Rolisca is probably the fastest of the three, while still causing considerable damage. Ghidorah's attack on the countryside, however, goes VERY quickly - as though the full destruction of the towns and cities literally happened in mere minutes.
It's worth noting that Ghidorah starts out in Kurobe, in Toyama prefecture, and travels to Tokyo rather quickly, and then to Shizuoka for the climax. It's hard to explain the movement to people that don't live in Japan, but it's decently quick and erratic. The distance that Godzilla and Rodan spend the film traveling (Yokohama to the Fuji area) is relatively small compared to Ghidorah's flight path.

I'm thinking in the future, creating maps of events in each Godzilla movie, to make things make more sense in context, of where cities are and monsters traveling movements. Since I moved to Japan, I've realized how the locations of monsters in the films make logical sense and often play into the films narratives. It's something that prior that was easy to ignore. If possible I'd like to include things like timeframes, and landmarks or important areas destroyed.
I've often thought this. I think the context of the areas threatened, the areas covered, and even the proximity the characters are in to the brewing kaiju battle, might give a whole different energy to the viewings.

Maranatha!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I just saw the Classic Media version of Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster. I really did enjoy the movie. It was fun yet had some serious tones to it.

1. King Ghidorah really did come across like a true threat and NOT some mind controlled attack dog for evil aliens. It's really a shame that he was turned into a whipping boy for Godzilla as time went on. Even the Heisei version couldn't fight at all with the mind control being turned off. The GMK one could fight, but Godzilla really crushed him. In Final Wars, he came across as fighting a weakened Godzilla who was tired from fighting and swimming rather then being powerful.

2. This made me remember just how powerful and durable the Showa version of Rodan was. He's far stronger then the Heisei version. Although, in fairness, the Heisei Mechagodzilla was one of the most powerful foes in the franchise so there's that. Speaking of durability...

3. Why did Rodan live while his girlfriend seemingly die?

4. In the Japanese version, the one woman was a decendent of people from Venus, yet in the English translated version, it was Mars. Why the change?

5. In the Japanese version, the second of Mothra's kids died. What happened to it? Did Godzilla kill it for payback?

6. In both versions before Godzilla wrecked the one ship, I saw a pod of whales. Was Godzilla chasing his dinner and got pissed off that the ship interfered and then destroyed it?

7. I loved how Godzilla body slammed Rodan like that. :D

8. I loved it better when Mothra is going back and forth while those two are "playing"bolder headbutt dodgeball and she's like "WTH?!"

9. I find it curious that Godzilla took most of Ghidorah's punishment and that he never used his atomic ray on Ghiddy.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Rhedosaurus wrote: 3. Why did Rodan live while his girlfriend seemingly die?
Some people believe that this new Rodan is a third individual, either an offspring of the original pair or a sibling. Don't know if there's any "official" answer.
5. In the Japanese version, the second of Mothra's kids died. What happened to it? Did Godzilla kill it for payback?
Most likely the dead larva passed due to injuries sustained in the fight of the previous movie. One of them actually takes an atomic ray to the face.
6. In both versions before Godzilla wrecked the one ship, I saw a pod of whales. Was Godzilla chasing his dinner and got pissed off that the ship interfered and then destroyed it?
That seems to be the case.
8. I loved it better when Mothra is going back and forth while those two are "playing"bolder headbutt dodgeball and she's like "WTH?!"
This moment is probably my favorite gag/comedic scene in the entire series. It's edited together so perfectly. :lol:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

szmigiel wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:"Best Ghidorah," people say.
This belongs more in the Monster Discussion Thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1701&start=280
But here we go
Gojirawars 03 wrote:Why, exactly? Showa Ghidorah is easily the most overrated variant IMO. The only film where he feels like a threat is in GTTHM, and even then he's just a plot device with no personality that fianlly shows up in the final act just to give Godzilla and Rodan motivation to stop fighting each other. He puts up a good fight, and the final battle feels rewarding, but after this film, he drops off hard. In all the movies after this one, he's a total joke.
His Reputation has a lot to do with this film and it is the one of the main reasons he is a top draw for Toho. He also doesn't appear out of nowhere for the final act, there is a nice build up with the meteor and his rampage and destruction before facing off against the other kaiju.
Gojirawars 03 wrote:He gets flattened in seconds by Godzilla on Planet X (with Rodan not even really needing to be there. He barely contributed anything other than a few boulders dropped from the air). Then he's put under mind control and, when eventually freed, he gets taken down again with not much issue. Then he shows up again in Gigan, and gets put under mind control again. He gets a decent fight in against Godzilla this time, but to be honest, Gigan was doing most of the work cutting Godzilla to pieces. Once again, Ghidorah is broken from mind control, and the second Gigan is out of the way, Ghidorah gets decimated again.
Yes a short battle on Planet X because it was just a show put on by the X-Seijins for the astronauts. Why risk their plans by having the kaiju fight a long drawn out battle? As far as the fight back on Earth, yes the audience doesn't get to see the battle underwater, but that doesn't mean it wasn't much of an issue. The reason he is in Godzila Vs Gigan is mainly due to put his name power getting people interested in seeing the film, and so they can use as much stock footage as possible.
Gojirawars 03 wrote:At long last, we reach DAM, and oh, god. He shows up out of nowhere in the final act because the monsters needed a big bad guy to fight at the end, and the still had the suit, so why not. And thus, we get to watch the supposed "destroyed of worlds" get completely curbstomped. Then, of course, once hes on the ground with two heads already out of commission, who gets the final headshot to win the day?

skreeonking.

Minya.

Yeah, the harbinger of death and destroyer of galaxies defeated by one of Minya's flimsy little smoke rings.
This is King Ghidorah 3rd appearance, not 4th. And he was used nicely as he was the only kaiju that could be used as an opponent for a battle royal. If the Godzilla series ended here, it would have been a great send off. As for the smoke ring, you honestly think that was what "defeated" King Ghidorah? If it wasn't for the smoke ring he would have gotten up and finished off all the other kaiju?
Gojirawars 03 wrote:It's honestly just sad to watch Ghidorah's drastic fall from grace. When he first starts out, he may be a little goofy, but hes still a legitimate threat. By the end of the Showa timeline, though, he's just a victim of constant abuse in every film he shows up in.
We can apply your line of arguments to the rest of his appearances.

Heisei King Ghidorah: He is made up of three Furbie rejects, gets a head blown off by Godzilla and flees. Then has to comeback as a mecha/cyborg from the future just to fight Godzilla to a draw.

Grand King Ghidorah: Is a paedophile kid stealer that gets defeated by Mothra.

GMK: Wakes up early to fight Godzilla like he is half asleep, and then when he gets fully powered up he gets his ass kicked even faster.

G:KOTM: Flees from his first fight with Godzilla, gets his head ripped off in the second fight and is only saved when the Oxygen Destroyer only works on Godzilla and not him. In the final rematch gets in a few good hits, but is then utterly obliterated by Godzilla.

How are any of these better than the Showa?
As the resident Ghidorah fan, I gotta put some respect to his name and defend the incarnations. Make of that what you will.

Showa: Always required more than one monster to defeat him and is a literal destroyer of worlds. First time in the series Godzilla was truly overpowered by an opponent which leaves an impact.

Heisei: Was kicking Godzilla's ass (Who explicitly had a nuke boost on top of being born stronger due to modern nuclear power giving birth to him) and would have killed him had the Futurian's control not been broken giving Ghidorah a seizure mid fight.

Grand: Lost to a Mothra that would murder a majority of Godzilla's. Seriously Mothra Leo is ridiculously OP and Ghidorah was able to kick Mothra Leo's ass twice in this film in the present and past before Leo got a 11th hour power up in Armor mode which is stupid broken.

GMK: Was the only thing in the movie to actually injure this Godzilla who shrugged off everything else thrown at it.

G:KOTM: In the first fight, he was kicking Godzilla's ass and forced him into a pit before he left the scene after humans distracted it and jets/super planes came in to aid Godzilla. Also keep in mind for this first fight Ghidorah had just woken up from an elongated ice slumber and Godzilla never made Ghidorah run away he left on his own accord as the last move done in the fight was Godzilla being put on his radioactive behind. Second fight Ghidorah was ambushed by Godzilla who pulled it underwater where no shit Godzilla had the edge but Ghidorah no sold the same weapon that put Godzilla on critical and regenerated its head as if nothing happened before he unleashed literal hell on Earth and had made Rodan his literal bitch moments before. Third Fight, despite Godzilla getting a nuke boost and getting on the verge of critical Ghidorah was able to overpower and scar Godzilla's face dropping him from the sky and delivering critical damage. Would have killed him had Mothra not sacrified herself as Ghidorah blasted Mothra to pixie dust in one shot. Humans then distracted Ghidorah with he Orca before he could drain Godzilla dry allowing Mothra's energy to give Godzilla a boost and its nuclear energy to go critical entering a modern Burning Godzilla form. So a nuke boost and Mothra boost on top of human distraction is what finally allowed him to best Ghidorah.

I don't have views on the best or worst Ghidorah here, but just sticking up for my three-headed boi.
Last edited by godjacob on Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Some people believe that this new Rodan is a third individual, either an offspring of the original pair or a sibling. Don't know if there's any "official" answer.
Most likely the dead larva passed due to injuries sustained in the fight of the previous movie. One of them actually takes an atomic ray to the face.
This moment is probably my favorite gag/comedic scene in the entire series. It's edited together so perfectly. :lol:
3. I heard that it was THE Rodan and that he survived back in a GodzillaFB I was one early last decade.

5. Ironic considering how the one that lived got utterly throttled by Ghiddy when it tried to fight him alone.

8. Mine as well.
godjacob wrote:As the resident Ghidorah fan, I gotta put some respect to his name and defend the incarnations. Make of that what you will.

Showa: Always required more than one monster to defeat him and is a literal destroyer of worlds. First time in the series Godzilla was truly overpowered by an opponent which leaves an impact.

Heisei: Was kicking Godzilla's ass (Who explicitly had a nuke boost on top of being born stronger due to modern nuclear power giving birth to him) and would have killed him had the Futurian's control not been broken giving Ghidorah a seizure mid fight.

Grand: Lost to a Mothra that would murder a majority of Godzilla's. Seriously Mothra Leo is ridiculously OP and Ghidorah was able to kick Mothra Leo's ass twice in this film in the present and past before Leo got a 11th hour power up in Armor mode which is stupid broken.

GMK: Was the only thing in the movie to actually injure this Godzilla who shrugged off everything else thrown at it.

G:KOTM: In the first fight, he was kicking Godzilla's ass and forced him into a pit before he left the scene after humans distracted it and jets/super planes came in to aid Godzilla. Also keep in mind for this first fight Ghidorah had just woken up from an elongated ice slumber and Godzilla never made Ghidorah run away he left on his own accord as the last move done in the fight was Godzilla being put on his radioactive behind. Second fight Ghidorah was ambushed by Godzilla who pulled it underwater where no poop Godzilla had the edge but Ghidorah no sold the same weapon that put Godzilla on critical and regenerated its head as if nothing happened before he unleashed literal hell on Earth and had made Rodan his literal skreeonk moments before. Third Fight, despite Godzilla getting a nuke boost and getting on the verge of critical Ghidorah was able to overpower and scar Godzilla's face dropping him from the sky and delivering critical damage. Would have killed him had Mothra not sacrified herself as Ghidorah blasted Mothra to pixie dust in one shot. Humans then distracted Ghidorah with he Orca before he could drain Godzilla dry allowing Mothra's energy to give Godzilla a boost and its nuclear energy to go critical entering a modern Burning Godzilla form. So a nuke boost and Mothra boost on top of human distraction is what finally allowed him to best Ghidorah.

I don't have views on the best or worst Ghidorah here, but just sticking up for my three-headed boi.
Showa: Became formidable at first, but turned into a cross between a mind controlled attack dog and Godzilla's whipping boy.

Heisei: Couldn't fight a lick unless it was being controlled in some form. At least the Showa and Legendary versions of Ghiddy could fight well without any form of mind control.

GMK: True, but he still got crushed twice. The second time he got turned into dragonburger bits.

The Legendary version is the only one that got him right and truly made him formidable without weakening him as time went on.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's one of the Rodans that survived the 1956 Aso eruption, as stated pretty clearly in the film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I always believed it was thier fully grown baby from 8 years prior.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
3. I heard that it was THE Rodan and that he survived back in a GodzillaFB I was one early last decade.

5. Ironic considering how the one that lived got utterly throttled by Ghiddy when it tried to fight him alone.

8. Mine as well.
godjacob wrote:As the resident Ghidorah fan, I gotta put some respect to his name and defend the incarnations. Make of that what you will.

G:KOTM: In the first fight, he was kicking Godzilla's ass and forced him into a pit before he left the scene after humans distracted it and jets/super planes came in to aid Godzilla. Also keep in mind for this first fight Ghidorah had just woken up from an elongated ice slumber and Godzilla never made Ghidorah run away he left on his own accord as the last move done in the fight was Godzilla being put on his radioactive behind. Second fight Ghidorah was ambushed by Godzilla who pulled it underwater where no poop Godzilla had the edge but Ghidorah no sold the same weapon that put Godzilla on critical and regenerated its head as if nothing happened before he unleashed literal hell on Earth and had made Rodan his literal skreeonk moments before. Third Fight, despite Godzilla getting a nuke boost and getting on the verge of critical Ghidorah was able to overpower and scar Godzilla's face dropping him from the sky and delivering critical damage. Would have killed him had Mothra not sacrified herself as Ghidorah blasted Mothra to pixie dust in one shot. Humans then distracted Ghidorah with he Orca before he could drain Godzilla dry allowing Mothra's energy to give Godzilla a boost and its nuclear energy to go critical entering a modern Burning Godzilla form. So a nuke boost and Mothra boost on top of human distraction is what finally allowed him to best Ghidorah.

Showa: Became formidable at first, but turned into a cross between a mind controlled attack dog and Godzilla's whipping boy.

Heisei: Couldn't fight a lick unless it was being controlled in some form. At least the Showa and Legendary versions of Ghiddy could fight well without any form of mind control.

GMK: True, but he still got crushed twice. The second time he got turned into dragonburger bits.

The Legendary version is the only one that got him right and truly made him formidable without weakening him as time went on.
Showa: Whipping boy is a stretch. While it is a mind controlled attack dog (Which sucks) he still requires Godzilla to team with other Kaiju to be able to defeat in every encounter in the Showa films. It took like 6-8 monsters to finally kill him altogether.

Heisei: Again, it being a mind controlled bitch is a shame but to its credit after the seizure wore off it got Godzilla in a choke and made him foam in the mouth nearly suffocating him were it not for a desperation Nuclear Pulse. And this is without being told what to do.

GMK: This version (Power wise) is the weakest I won't argue that but it is also a literal teenager who was awakened prematurely before it could fully grow. It is hinted at being the reincarnation of the 8 Headed Orochi but only managed to get 3 heads and its wings were not even fully grown when it was awakened to fight Godzilla. So for a kid to basically be the one thing to give Godzilla any kind of struggle in the film is still worth more than it may appear.

Agree on Legendary. I felt it is the best executed Ghidorah we've had to date and has everything I want in the King of Terror.

Also, as far as Rodan goes, it being a surviving baby would make the most sense. Though why they dropped the mate in all other incarnations of the character puzzles me.
Last edited by godjacob on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:I always believed it was thier fully grown baby from 8 years prior.
I'm pretty sure that sequence is the birth of one of the two Rodans we see as adults, not of a third one.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.