Godzilla Films Fan-Remasters

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Tamura
EDF Instructor

Re: Showa Hi-Vision Transfers Remaster

Post by Tamura »

The color balance and contrast is improved, but the highlights look a bit too teal. I would also just not even both sharpening them, it adds halos and reveals unnatural noise, not film grain. These are SD grade transfers, maybe it would be better to just downrez them to DVD resolution.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Thanks for the input, I'm always looking for revisions in the future. I fixed the teal after these captures were made, I did a bit more work on MechaG since, and after most of the captures were made, I did even more adjustments to them as well. I did have a whole debate in my head about the sharpening thing, we'll see down the line if I will do anything with it, I will probably end up backing off the sharpening more (to reduce some haloing). As for the grain, unfortunately recompressing an already bad transfer makes the hard gradients even worse, some slight artificial grain is the only way to combat this one. As for DVD, Unfortunately I've already tried it and it doesn't look good, and it just isn't the vision or direction I have of the project, I might as well keep it the polished turd vs an even lower res polished turd lol

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Version 1 of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla has been uploaded, PM me or check my blog for details. First post has been updated to reflect this.

Uploads in progress:
Godzilla vs Megalon
Invasion of the Astro Monster
Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster
Mothra vs Godzilla

I decided I will not do Godzilla 1954 or Godzilla Raids Again. Criterion has both of them out, 1954 is already superior and the only thing you can really do with Godzilla Raids Again is adjust the contrast and levels adjustments, which the criterion versions seems to already have done. It would not be a good use of time to do it when those are already there.
Last edited by airforce111 on Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yoink
Young Farmer

Post by Yoink »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:These look great! Like I said over in the Criterion thread, I'm really impressed by what you've done with the colors. A few of them look a little dark, but they look a hell of a lot more appealing than what was actually released. If you wouldn't mind, I might like to use these for my second round of reconstructions, once I get to them.

There is one thing I'd recommend, since it looks like these are sourced from the MB discs -- these are terrific proof of concept, but I'd recommend using either the Toho discs or the Criterion discs once they come out. The MB discs allow each film more space, but they somehow botched the deinterlacing on both films.

Also, if you're interested in more recent scans of some of these films to use as a reference, I have recordings of the Champion Festival edits that've been broadcast on TV in Japan recently. Feel free to message me if you want 'em.
Hey there and sorry to bother. Would you mind sharing those recordings, i already happen to have recordings of Mothra vs. Godzilla and Astro Monster. But of course I'd really love to see how the rest look especially compared to tohos old transfers and considering how much of an upgrade they are. I figured i would just let you know in this thread as opposed to directly messaging you out of nowhere. Of course if it's no inconvenience and thank you in advance.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

I decided to buy the criterion set. There is a bit more definition in the black areas and less DNR, the biggest differences are in the dark scenes (such as the intro with anguirus under water). Some previews of using the CRITERION source (from the screenshots a user gave me). I don't think any normal viewer or in general will notice the difference when watching the previous remasters now, but I could use any higher quality detail as much as I could.
Spoiler:
Last edited by airforce111 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

airforce111 wrote:(such as the intro with anguirus under water)
He's not underwater, just in the middle of a barren rocky/snowy area.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Small update on Criterion as a source:

The sources are great, except discs 3 and 4. They include the films:

Mothra vs Godzilla
Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster
Invasion of the Astro Monster
Ebirah Horror of the Deep
Son of Godzilla
Destroy all Monsters

The low bitrate encode is the downfall and I'm kind of dissapointed. Once reencoded you can really see the effect it has, which is why for those films on those discs im sticking with toho sources (or with DAM, media blasters with the Criterion used for the frame change cuts because of how MEDIABLASTERS mishandled the deinterlacing)
Last edited by airforce111 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

I found a middleground with Criterion (3 films per disc encodes), it looks great but I had to use artificial grain to "cover up" the parts of the image with artificating, so a bit more grainy image than version 1.0 of DAM I had released before. Similar to Kraken's Gigan release that had a lot of grain on it (which I didn't really mind)

With that said, DAM Remastered v1.1 preview, fixed colors a bit more, highlights are no longer red.
Spoiler:
Last edited by airforce111 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

New encodes of MG1974 and Ghidorah the three headed monster, still samples here (using Criterion as the Source). Uploads to follow after revising the rest
Spoiler:
Last edited by airforce111 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gojira9310
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojira9310 »

Does your Remaster of Astro-Monster still have Nick Adams dubbed over in Japanese?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I would assume so; I think these are mostly just color corrections.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Gojira9310
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojira9310 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I would assume so; I think these are mostly just color corrections.
Damn, someone told me in the Astro-Monster talkback thread over in the Showa Era section that there was a fan edit out there that restores Nick Adam's English Dialogue to the Japanese version. I've been trying to find it for over a week now with no luck. I was hoping this was going to be my ticket.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I've heard of that edit before, and I think I may have actually seen it on a private torrent tracker I was a member of years ago, but I don't have it and I'm not sure where it can currently be found.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I have it but I don't remember where I got it from.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Any idea when more of these might be uploaded? I was hoping to use some in my vlog series I'm doing right now
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

I'll have to be honest, haven't been on top of this and I might not get back to it until the new years or a bit after. Been super busy with some outside stuff and university exams, I'll update the thread once I have something for sure

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Understandable! No rush or anything; I was just curious since a bunch of the films in the OP were marked "upload in progress" or something to that effect
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Understandable! No rush or anything; I was just curious since a bunch of the films in the OP were marked "upload in progress" or something to that effect
ahhh, yeah actually they were uploaded, then I saw the criterion discs and they were better, so I just removed them because I was gonna rework them using the criterion source

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Finally done with the semester so had time to edit my projects. As you will see the color has changed again, I think they were a bit too saturated before, and did some other adjustments as well. Currently rendering Ghidrah, should be done 7 hours from now, in which I will have to find time to upload it.

Last edited by airforce111 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Those look really sharp! I feel I am going to be very disappointed when I get my discs later today.