Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by goji1986 »

^ to further your point, take a look at how great Terry Gilliam’s animations from Monty Python’s Flying Circus turned out in their upcoming Blu-ray release. The non-studio sketches and cartoons were all filmed on 16mm and they were able to scan pretty much everything from the original negatives.

https://youtu.be/QSoNNtlQqDs
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

Does anyone else have any frame-skipping issues with their steelbook copies of Ultraman? Mine tends to happen on one or two episodes on each disc.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Xenofauna wrote:I want to stress that I am very happy with this release but I do want to underline and clarify a fairly common misconception that keeps going around, that being the idea that Ultraman simply looks worse than Ultra Q due to the relative sizes of their respective film stocks (35mm vs. 16mm).

Check out this SUPER 8MM footage that was professionally scanned at 2k. Since it's much more recent footage it might not be a perfect 1:1 comparison but I feel like it really illustrates how much detail is possible when scanning 16mm if 8mm film can look this good.

http://youtu.be/3Nh9BTMWj9M
goji1986 wrote:^ to further your point, take a look at how great Terry Gilliam’s animations from Monty Python’s Flying Circus turned out in their upcoming Blu-ray release. The non-studio sketches and cartoons were all filmed on 16mm and they were able to scan pretty much everything from the original negatives.

https://youtu.be/QSoNNtlQqDs
Manos: The Hands of Fate, a no-budget 16mm film made by a bunch of incompetents, half of which isn't even in focus, looks better on Blu-ray than Ultraman does, thanks to its handlers putting some real care into the transfer. 16mm does inherently have lower resolution than 35mm, but it's not all that noticeable at 1080p -- certainly not enough to account for the difference between Ultra Q and Ultraman, and regardless, nothing shot on film inherently looks that waxy. Nobody blaming the quality of the Ultraman Blu-ray on its 16mm origin knows what they're talking about.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Could one of you check if the Blu-Rays are region-free?
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Birdman wrote:Could one of you check if the Blu-Rays are region-free?
According to Blu-ray.com they are.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I don't always have the detective like vision to tell if a transfer is good or not but I'm assuming that the Ultra Q set looks great while the Ultraman set looks significantly worse?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

cloverfan98 wrote:I don't always have the detective like vision to tell if a transfer is good or not but I'm assuming that the Ultra Q set looks great while the Ultraman set looks significantly worse?
Pretty much, though the Ultraman set is still an upgrade over the DVD sets available.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Apparently you can get the Ultraman ORB and GEED movies right now at Walmart. Not sure why you wouldn’t just wait for the set +movie tbh.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Cookson wrote:Apparently you can get the Ultraman ORB and GEED movies right now at Walmart. Not sure why you wouldn’t just wait for the set +movie tbh.
It's an interesting strategy. Standalone retailer exclusives sound like targeting the average consumer/impulse shopper, which is a bold move for a franchise without that much brand recognition in the US. Also, don't the movies generally come after the series?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Xenofauna
Yojimbo

Post by Xenofauna »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Also, don't the movies generally come after the series?
Yeah but most of them aim to be as broadly accessible as possible, which can be kind of nice as a pick up and play kind of thing but also frustrating when, in the case of Ultraman X for example, you have a really great show and a FANTASTIC movie but the show ended with a lot of loose plot threads and the movie can't even begin to care about any of that. That's kind of the state of relations between Ultra shows and films these days, best as I know.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Q looks exactly like the one released from Shout. Only difference is subtitles and an actual working Demon Child Lily episode.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

So money has been tight lately, which means I've only today gotten around to buying Ultraman off Amazon. It'll be here in a week~ish (I'm not a prime member). Looking forward to finally checking out this franchise.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I'm so sick of Millcreek putting in that crash sound effect.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LamangoKaijura wrote:I'm so sick of Millcreek putting in that crash sound effect.
Apparently the added sound effects are Tsuburaya's doing.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Xenofauna
Yojimbo

Post by Xenofauna »

Yeah, Mill Creek didn't touch a thing. They were given TPC's masters and slapped 'em on the discs and shipped them to you.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Mill Creek is a Budget Label; they're not gonna go tinkering with things like that themselves. That costs money.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Shokara
Yojimbo

Post by Shokara »

My copies of Orb and Geed have shipped from Amazon this morning.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Terasawa wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:I'm so sick of Millcreek putting in that crash sound effect.
That's BS, cause they don't exist in the other versions. Just millcreek.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
That's BS, cause they don't exist in the other versions. Just millcreek.
Nope, the remixed audio tracks were actually included on the original Japanese DVDs, along with the original mono tracks, if I remember correctly.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Xenofauna
Yojimbo

Post by Xenofauna »

Yeah, they've been around for years now.