Prophecies of Nostradamus 1974

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Malchik
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Prophecies of Nostradamus 1974

Postby Malchik » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:26 pm

This is a film I've been wanting to check out for years.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Postby Orichalcum » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:14 pm

I don’t know where to begin, this movie is weird!

I definitely agree with what others have said already, it’s not a perfect film, and its message is very hamfisted and repeated over and over but the doomsday skits are so bizarre and usually well shot it’s easy to overlook the subpar story and just roll the sequences, and that score is very fitting-wow lol. It's really dated but best to watch while high, crazy it came out in 74' because it feels nothing like a Showa Godzilla movie at all.

Worth checking out of you can find it online, but nothing you need to pay to see.

I can understand why Toho would want to distance themselves, it's really nothing more than a expoitation film with Toku effects, and that Fukashima scene wouldn't be in good taste with the tragedy just a few years back.

I give it two mutants fighting over a snake out of five.

Added in 15 hours 22 minutes 25 seconds:
You know, it's a tad bit excessive but I kinda wish they used more from the traffic jam explosion scene for G84', the shots of people on fire would have worked very well for its tone.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Orichalcum wrote:Added in 15 hours 22 minutes 25 seconds:
You know, it's a tad bit excessive but I kinda wish they used more from the traffic jam explosion scene for G84', the shots of people on fire would have worked very well for its tone.

Yeah. It's surprising how I never even realized it was stock footage, and I don't think anyone would notice.

Also, the scene is weirdly believable believe it or not. Sometimes, depending on how I feel I take a bus to Tokyo instead of a train. One time there was severe traffic, and it was basically bumper to bumper for miles and miles. Japanese expressways really aren't expressways lol.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

TylerPreston20
Ronin

Postby TylerPreston20 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:42 am

On the topic of this movie, I spotted this listing of an Italian 2 Disc DVD set which has the international English cut and the Japanese cut on Amazon Italy:

https://www.amazon.it/Catastrofe-Specia ... 279&sr=8-1
Last edited by TylerPreston20 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:04 am

^Bootleg which recycles the same versions that have been circulating online for 15 years or more.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”