Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by G2000 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I don't mind. The protracted promotion for KotM was pretty exhausting anyway. Still surprised at the overall lack of major leaks. I haven't even heard much about any test screenings or anything like that.
The premiere is the test screening
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I saw an AMA from reddit of a guy who claimed to be at the test screening. He showed two images of a theater screen showing a scene of a city being destroyed. Looked like something out of Transformers, so I just brushed it off.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

KingKaiju wrote:I saw an AMA from reddit of a guy who claimed to be at the test screening. He showed two images of a theater screen showing a scene of a city being destroyed. Looked like something out of Transformers, so I just brushed it off.
Old and confirmed fake (from Battleship, but Transformers is close enough)
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

G2000 wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:I saw an AMA from reddit of a guy who claimed to be at the test screening. He showed two images of a theater screen showing a scene of a city being destroyed. Looked like something out of Transformers, so I just brushed it off.
Old and confirmed fake (from Battleship, but Transformers is close enough)
I figured. Thank GOD! If Godzilla vs. Kong came out looking like either of those two films, I'd be VERY concerned.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Really enjoyed this film alot personally. Just about everything I could have wanted from a classic Showa era style of Godzilla films particularly Monster Zero and Destroy All Monsters. I get that its not particularly clever or intelligent but thats why I love Shin and the Anime Trilogy so much because they form a perfect counter balance to the more action focused MonsterVerse films.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Invisible Man trailer has been rated. GvK shouldn't be too far behind.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

cloverfan98 wrote:Really enjoyed this film alot personally. Just about everything I could have wanted from a classic Showa era style of Godzilla films particularly Monster Zero and Destroy All Monsters. I get that its not particularly clever or intelligent but thats why I love Shin and the Anime Trilogy so much because they form a perfect counter balance to the more action focused MonsterVerse films.
Another user who likes all the new movies?

I... I thought I was the only one.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm completely ambivalent towards the film myself. It just didn't really engage me but then I'm pretty jaded towards Hollywood blockbusters and multi million dollar CGI these days.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The guy who portrayed Godzilla’s common-cap was really cool. He was at GFes and was really nice.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:The guy who portrayed Godzilla’s common-cap was really cool. He was at GFes and was really nice.
TJ Storm? Yeah he's a real cool guy and mocap actor. He really seems to enjoy being Godzilla too from what I've heard. The Ghidorah actors (Jason Liles, Alam Maxson and Richard Dorton) really enjoyed the King Ghidorah experience too. (The idea of tying 3 mocap actors together to play him was genius IMO)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GuardianGhido wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:The guy who portrayed Godzilla’s common-cap was really cool. He was at GFes and was really nice.
TJ Storm? Yeah he's a real cool guy and mocap actor. He really seems to enjoy being Godzilla too from what I've heard. The Ghidorah actors (Jason Liles, Alam Maxson and Richard Dorton) really enjoyed the King Ghidorah experience too. (The idea of tying 3 mocap actors together to play him was genius IMO)
In the brief interview he did, he said his firm Godzilla film was Godzilla vs. Hedorah. I might have a clip of that.

Despite some of my reservations of KOTM as a film, I had a big realization that a lot of fun and joy went into making the film, and over the weekend I realized that all the Godzilla films had that sense of fun going into it. The GMK guys were joking around a lot.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

One thing I really wish was more focused on, was the whole dynamic of shooting off the Oxygen Destroyer. The OD should’ve been established early and debated over several times. The film should have shown the DC officials making the decision to launch it. Then, we could’ve gotten a scene where Stenz and his fleet attempt to protect DC from Ghidorah, but fail because Godzilla isn’t there to save him. Stenz and DC reap what they sow, and Stenz dies with humility knowing this. That would’ve been way more interesting than what we actually got.

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

kaijuguy19 wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:I am not singing the doom and gloom song because I am not expecting anything till end of November at least.

If we hit December and we still have nothing then I will start being a little bit concerned. I personally just think there holding back on the marketing to start it later and have heavy marketing push till release.

The polar opposite of KOTM.
I'm thinking of that as well. Movies that usually released in March tend to have trailers around November right? Like how Kong Skull Island got a full official trailer in November 2016 3 months before it's March release date. This could be the same here for Godzilla vs Kong which isn't a bad time when you think about since having it released around the Thanksgiving break is a good way to promote a trailer without too much hassle.

At least that's the hope I'm having. The Monsterverse NEEDS a giant hit this time around and having a late trailer isn't going to help in that.
The Monsterverse is NEVER going to get a giant hit.

And I think they know this, hence they are going to try to market and release the movie in the most successful manner as possible.

Now, I've loved Godzilla since I was a kid. But the fact is, KOTM, Godzilla, Godzilla vs Kong are barely B list movies today. No amount of marketing is going to make it a bit. It will underperform, it will do bad, and it will get poor reviews because people don't care for Godzilla. If the Avengers are LeBron James, Godzilla is Jimmy Butler.

Nothing Legendary does will change the fact that 9/10 people aren't interested in Godzilla. So let's stop holding out hope for the Monsterverse to pump out a hit. It's not happening. Let's just support the movie for what it is, a modern day cgi Godzilla camp...which is what we all want anyway. I'll be happy with it. I also don't care that the movie will not be technically great or beloved.
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

You must be fun at parties

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

Jaqua92 wrote:
kaijuguy19 wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:I am not singing the doom and gloom song because I am not expecting anything till end of November at least.

If we hit December and we still have nothing then I will start being a little bit concerned. I personally just think there holding back on the marketing to start it later and have heavy marketing push till release.

The polar opposite of KOTM.
I'm thinking of that as well. Movies that usually released in March tend to have trailers around November right? Like how Kong Skull Island got a full official trailer in November 2016 3 months before it's March release date. This could be the same here for Godzilla vs Kong which isn't a bad time when you think about since having it released around the Thanksgiving break is a good way to promote a trailer without too much hassle.

At least that's the hope I'm having. The Monsterverse NEEDS a giant hit this time around and having a late trailer isn't going to help in that.
The Monsterverse is NEVER going to get a giant hit.

And I think they know this, hence they are going to try to market and release the movie in the most successful manner as possible.

Now, I've loved Godzilla since I was a kid. But the fact is, KOTM, Godzilla, Godzilla vs Kong are barely B list movies today. No amount of marketing is going to make it a bit. It will underperform, it will do bad, and it will get poor reviews because people don't care for Godzilla. If the Avengers are LeBron James, Godzilla is Jimmy Butler.

Nothing Legendary does will change the fact that 9/10 people aren't interested in Godzilla. So let's stop holding out hope for the Monsterverse to pump out a hit. It's not happening. Let's just support the movie for what it is, a modern day cgi Godzilla camp...which is what we all want anyway. I'll be happy with it. I also don't care that the movie will not be technically great or beloved.
That and the fact that people nowadays will just seem to blindly love anything with "Marvel Studios" stamped on the official poster. Endgame was "sorta good" at best, had a slew of problems, is undeniably the most overrated movie I've ever witnessed. Like come on, it was middle-tier as an MCU movie AT BEST.

But yeah Godzilla will just never be like that. And the fact that LP/WB are withholding the GvK trailer trying to pull an Endgame with the secrecy is just dumb. If KOTM made a billion, perhaps I could see this working for them

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzillasaurus wrote: Endgame was "sorta good" at best, had a slew of problems, is undeniably the most overrated movie I've ever witnessed. Like come on, it was middle-tier as an MCU movie AT BEST.
You know your word isn't law, right?
Godzillasaurus wrote: And the fact that LP/WB are withholding the GvK trailer trying to pull an Endgame with the secrecy is just dumb.
Except...there's literally no confirmation of that being the reason at all. That's just something you pulled out of nowhere, I haven't even HEARD of anyone even suggesting that.

If anything, the withheld marketing is more likely a response to the fact that KOTM's marketing took place over almost a year. First hint was a trailer at SDCC 2018 and they stretched it all the way until May to the point that most people forgot about it on release day.

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

At this point, I think we should all settle down and wait till the trailer comes out. it won't be that long, and you all need to have some patience, K? Besides, I initially thought the GvK trailer would release in September.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GmkGoji wrote:At this point, I think we should all settle down and wait till the trailer comes out. it won't be that long, and you all need to have some patience, K? Besides, I initially thought the GvK trailer would release in September.
You're talking to a forum where half the members go out of the way to spoil themselves months ahead of a movie they are gonna go see anyways.

Patience isn't one of this forums virtue.

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

eh, good point.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jaqua92 wrote:Nothing Legendary does will change the fact that 9/10 people aren't interested in Godzilla.

Where'd you get this statistic from? :roll:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.