Toho's George Lucas Tendencies

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Toho continues calculated erasure of classic Godzilla dubs

Post by eabaker »

MaxRebo320 wrote:I guess Toho was proud of the Bang Zoom! dub for The Mysterians and now want more 60-year old films dubbed with modern anime voice actors.
NEW = GOOD
OLD = BAD

It's not rocket science, right?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Malchik wrote:Your mind went there not mine.
Just saying, seemed a little dramatic
Definitely a tad wary of this though. I don’t generally watch the dubs in the first place so it doesn’t hit me that hard, but the Netflix redub of Eva was hard to listen to after years of hearing the ADV voices so I can sympathize with those upset that the dubs they in many cases grew up with are getting replaced
Last edited by G2000 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Alright, who wants to continue discussing the wording of my thread’s title? Or we can talk about the implications of Toho apparently choosing to outright disappear their own media. I think the latter is more interesting.
Last edited by Tamura on Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Tamura wrote:Alright, who wants to continue discussing the wording of my thread’s title?
I would, kind of. You should really capitalize all the first letters of worlds in a title with the exception of conjunctions and prepositions.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

G2000 wrote:
Malchik wrote:Your mind went there not mine.
Just saying, seemed a little dramatic
Definitely a tad wary of this though. I don’t generally watch the dubs in the first place so it doesn’t hit me that hard, but the Netflix redub of Eva was hard to listen to after years of hearing the ADV voices so I can sympathize with those upset that the dubs they in many cases grew up with are getting replaced
If we are talking about the new Eva, that’s definitely a bad dub, but I hope nothing similar would happen to the franchise.

I just think overall, if we get new dubs, that are more faithful to the Japanese versions, then it’s not a bad thing. I don’t want some random anime voice actors dubbing everything, but I just don’t see it as a bad thing.

I gotta say though, one thing I need to give props to is all the classic media releases (once they got good) that had both the American versions and Japanese versions of the films and both were treated with relative dignity,
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I’m looking forward to this fandom’s excuses when the only version of The War of the Gargantuas with Russ Tamblyn’s voice is disappeared by Lord Toho.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly i'm fine with new dubbings of the films,i never really got why so many people cared that some are gonna be gone,the old ones were never my favorite.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

To be fair, alot of the dubs (especially tomg and all of the hesei movies) are rough so it doesn't surprise me if toho really wants rid of old dubs, but then again they thought the shin dub was fine so maybe theyre confused themselves what makes a good dub

If toho isn't fond of the english dubs then maybe they should do newer ones that are closer to the japanese cuts, 54, raids again, rodan and kong vs (unlikely) deserve better, maybe they could actually get another studio to dub it aswell, like the people that dubbed the anime trilogy perhaps, then again this is all hypothetical
Last edited by realinvaderdesign on Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'd actually love to see Final Wars dubbed by Funimation. Imagine Captain Gordon voiced by Chris Rager.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

This isn't an opinion thread. There are plenty of threads where you can talk about why you don't like old dubs you don't have to watch, this isn't one of them. And please no discussions of hypothetical Funimation dub voice roles.. again, that's a vomit-worthy discussion that warrants its own thread.

Creating new dubs and preserving the old ones aren't mutually exclusive goals.
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:28 am, edited 7 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

realinvaderdesign wrote:To be fair, alot of the dubs (especially tomg and all of the hesei movies)are rough so it doesn't surprise me if toho really wants rid of old dubs
The English dubs you named are literally all English versions that Toho continues to use.
If toho isn't fond of the english dubs then maybe they should do newer ones that are closer to the japanese cuts
The existing English versions Toho uses already correspond to the Japanese versions of those films. Dubbed versions that are structurally different from the Japanese versions are the exception to the norm, and Toho has mostly already suppressed those.
tyrantgoji wrote:i never really got why so many people cared that some are gonna be gone,the old ones were never my favorite.
They're a part of film & cultural history. And as Tamura has said, "Creating new dubs and preserving the old ones aren't mutually exclusive goals."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

The only good thing to come out of Toho's dismissal of all the US versions is that we got the complete WOTG international dub out of it, but that's at the expense of a US version with probably the largest quantity of unique and alternate Toho-shot footage in the whole canon.
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Chaotic-Strike
Yojimbo

Post by Chaotic-Strike »

I'm fine with pretty much all of the entire Heisei films and Millennium films being redubbed because all of those dubs are flat out awful. I would even be okay with the Showa films getting redubbed as well if the dub is actually good. Toho hasn't released the AIP/Titra versions in years, so I'd rather have a potentially good new dub over being stuck with the international versions forever from this point. Heck seeing the original Japanese Godzilla vs. King Kong get a new dub with the original score would be worth it. I actually prefer the new Netflix dub for EVA over the old one because dubbing scene has remarkably improved over the years compared to where we were in the 90s.

Despite all of this can Toho even release any new English dubs over here? When Criterion just bought all the rights to the Showa series, and Sony has pretty much everything else? I can't see Toho doing this when they just released a big new box set and they seem pretty lazy about remastering the films poor video quality themselves.

The whole press release seems more geared to marketing to countries that don't have dubs and little exposure to the series like China and other markets than to the US and English-speaking countries.
Last edited by Chaotic-Strike on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I don't know about mainland China but tons of Toho's kaiju films were released in Mandarin dubs in the '60s and '70s in Malaysia, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Most dubbing countries have released dubs of these films at some point. This is and has always been a well-known and widely distributed franchise throughout the world, and not just in Europe and Latin America. I have seen ads for these films from regions as disparate as Iceland and Pakistan. I don't think there is a single spot in the whole world where these films received little exposure. This franchise isn't new to any country I can name off the top of my head. Whether the exposure has continued in different regions is another matter, but everybody knows about this franchise. Toho just wants to streamline and standardize the presentation of the films, which involves denying a significant chunk of the franchise's history.
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Chaotic-Strike wrote:Heck seeing the original Japanese Godzilla vs. King Kong get a new dub with the original score would be worth it.
This likely already exists, and has since approx. 1962, but its release anywhere in the world has never been confirmed.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Chaotic-Strike
Yojimbo

Post by Chaotic-Strike »

Tamura wrote:I don't know about mainland China but tons of Toho's kaiju films were released in Mandarin dubs in the '60s and '70s in Malaysia, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Most dubbing countries have released dubs of these films at some point. This is and has always been a well-known and widely distributed franchise throughout the world, and not just in Europe and Latin America. I have seen ads for these films from regions as disparate as Iceland and Pakistan. I don't think there is a single spot in the whole world where these films received little exposure.
That is interesting, but I still don't really see Toho putting in the effort over here to make new ones when the international dubs exists.

How would that even work when Criterion and Sony have most of the rights to the home media releases. Funimation, Bang Zoom and Sentai, Viz are only the real dubbing companies that dub Japanese media over here and none of the have the rights to the films sans Funimation and Shin.
Terasawa wrote:
Chaotic-Strike wrote:Heck seeing the original Japanese Godzilla vs. King Kong get a new dub with the original score would be worth it.
This likely already exists, and has since approx. 1962, but its release anywhere in the world has never been confirmed.
I think Toho would have released it by now or footage would have surfaced if it existed. I've certainly never seen anything other than the trailer dubbed and that could have been done just for it.
Last edited by Chaotic-Strike on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

They've never really had an opportunity to release it or authorize its release anywhere - assuming it WAS created and still survives - and I doubt that will change since this is, thankfully, a film whose US version is owned in perpetuity by its original US distributor. Toho isn't going to include it as an audio option in the future because one of their core philosophies is that each domestic release must be as English unfriendly as possible.
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Chaotic-Strike wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
I think Toho would have released it by now or footage would have surfaced if it existed. I've certainly never seen anything other than the trailer dubbed and that could have been done just for it.
There's a trailer and documentation in Toho's own sales catalogs from the era. From Toho Films: 1963...

Also listed in later Toho catalogs.

There's really no reason to doubt its existence except that it apparently hasn't been seen. Consider that the earlier dub of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, which wasn't known of (or at least, its existence wasn't understood) until 2014, even though clues to its existence had been around for some time. If you want footage of a version of King Kong vs. Godzilla that hasn't been seen -or at least in decades- you'd have to find a print of the film somewhere. That somewhere is most likely a nation in Southeast Asia. And that's assuming Toho didn't recall any and all prints. The chances of just finding it in the wild are practically nil.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

We also don't know much about how Toho's international prints were distributed. Was it like the bicycling system that the BBC used for their teletranscriptions of the Doctor Who episodes, where just one or two prints were struck and then toured throughout the world? Who knows how many or few prints were even struck of any Toho-commissioned dubbed version.

But that's okay, we don't need to know whether KKvsG had a unique English dub at one point. Toho has chosen to treat the franchise like a lawn that needs to be neatly trimmed.
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

The dub of Son of Godzilla is my favorite of all time. If they erase that, i'll be pissed.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!