The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by KManX89 »

I watched the first few episodes of S1 of the ScyFy Van Helsing series on Netflix. It's okay so far, though the premise is kinda wonky.
Spoiler:
A volcanic eruption turns humans into vampires, seriously? :lol:
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Saw 'Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark' on Thursday of last week. Definitely one of the most creepy and compelling (despite certain cliches) horror movies we've gotten in recent years. I had mixed feelings about the ending though.
Last edited by Leviarex on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Started watching "Megabeast Investigator Juspion" (Or "Space Wolf Juspion," which is the way cooler title) after the blu-ray finally arrived in the mail. I've never seen any of the Metal Hero shows beyond random gifs or whatever stock footage was recycled for "Big Bad Beetleborgs." It's bonkers and I love it so far!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Leviarex wrote:Saw 'Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark' on Thursday of last week. Definitely one of the most creepy and compelling (despite certain cliches) horror movies we've gotten in recent years. I had mixed feelings about the ending though.
What the Goosebumps movie should had been.

That said really enjoyed it myself and more so after the disappointment IMO that was It: Chapter Two.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Rambo: Last Blood

I last watched Rambo 5: Average Blood.

Title Pun aside. The movie wasn't bad. But it is a middling movie.

If Rambo series, Rocky series, Cobra, Demolition Man and back in the day Cliffhanger and Daylight were top-tier Stallone films.

With Escape Plan and Expendables 3 being bottom-tier Stallone films.

Rambo: Last Blood is middle tier alongside Expendables 1 & 2.

Action scenes were great and impactful but backloaded to the end of the movie.

Plus the overall atmosphere of the movie doesn't feel the same as the other Rambo movies. You could tell this was the case from the trailers though.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

We watched The Innocents last night. I loved The Turn of the Screw when I read it in high school, so I'd been wanting to see the movie for a little over... (checks watch)... 22 years(!), and I'm so glad I finally got around to it!

I'm a sucker for ambiguous horror that can be read as either supernatural or psychological, and both the book and the movie are among the all-time classics of this mode. In this case, the way it transitions from feeling like something supernatural is happening to feeling like it's probably all a delusion is completely organic (despite being achieved by using multiple screenwriters to revise each others' work).

And Freddie Francis was just such a brilliant DP. Wonderfully subtle lighting, flawless deep focus, and astonishingly graceful camera movement.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^That's one of the spookiest movies I've ever seen. It plays well as a companion piece to The Haunting.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:^That's one of the spookiest movies I've ever seen. It plays well as a companion piece to The Haunting.
Yes, the whole time through I was thinking about the visual, tonal and thematic similarities!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I just saw Zombieland: Double Tap, that was a good, fun time. While it didn't measure up to the original in terms of pacing, it has more heart than a lot of sequels and still manages to bring enough laughs and zombie fun while adding just enough new elements to keep it fresh. Oh and Woody Harrelson kills it (no pun intended) as always.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Been having my annual monster/horror movie then

Last watch were Them! and Cult of Chucky

Both were excellent. Them was the best non-Japanese classic monster flick I've seen and Cult was everything I wanted in a Chucky movie and then some.

10/10 for Them, 8/10 for Cult

RIP Evan.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

The Trick or Treat Picture Show

this isn't a movie, it's a collection of two failed shorts, failed documentary, two terrible cooking videos and old drive-in consetion adds, all set to the same looping, public domain synth music. Thank God for the fast forward button.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Final watched the new Halloween. It wasn't bad but I do feel it rushed through things a little too fast and the deaths just lacked the same impact of the original. They didn't do much to develop most the new characters either. They're pretty much introduced solely to be fodder for Michael. All in all it was decent enough but I felt there should have been more to it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Dracula (1931): 8/10
Dracula 1931 Spanish Version: 8/10
Frankenstein (1931): 9/10
The Invisible Man (1933): 8/10
The Mummy (1932): 8.5/10
Bride of Frankenstein: 9/10
The Wolf Man: 8/10
Hellraiser: 8.5/10
Hellbound Hellraiser II: 8.5/10
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth: 8/10
Dracula's Daughter (1936): 7.5/10
Van Helsing (2004): 5.75/10
The Mummy (1999): 5.50/10
Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man: 7/10
House of Frankenstein: 7.75/10
Creaure From The Black Lagoon: 8.5/10
Joker (2019): 7.75/10 (J Phoenix is (IMO) the best live action Joker I've seen since Jack Nicholson in the '89 Batman film)
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

kaijumilitia
Ronin

Post by kaijumilitia »

I’ve been watching all the Halloween movies and I’m trying to figure out what is appealing about these movies? I like the first one but I don’t see how Michael Myers is that exciting to watch.
Last edited by kaijumilitia on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

kaijumilitia wrote:I’ve been watching all the Halloween movies and I’m trying to figure out what is appealing about these movies? I like the first one but I don’t see how Michael Myers is that exciting to watch.
The original is one of my favorite movies of all time, but there's literally only one of the sequels that I consider a particularly good movie (Halloween 4). I don't think the character was ever suited to carry an ongoing franchise.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

eabaker wrote:
kaijumilitia wrote:I’ve been watching all the Halloween movies and I’m trying to figure out what is appealing about these movies? I like the first one but I don’t see how Michael Myers is that exciting to watch.
The original is one of my favorite movies of all time, but there's literally only one of the sequels that I consider a particularly good movie (Halloween 4). I don't think the character was ever suited to carry an ongoing franchise.
Yeah, the original Halloween is the only one that's well-received, not counting the 2018 rebootquel.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Howling III: The Marsupials

I last watched the movie Howling III: The Marsupials. I appreciate some of the things that are going on in this movie. It's the only movie I know of that features a Werewolf God and that it also depicts the werewolves as the 'good guys'. The movie also feels very weird from beginning to end.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Let The Corpse Tan

If this movie had come out this year, it would have be in my top ten of the year. It is filmed in such a way that makes you remember why widescreen is amazing and the movie has incredibly strong style that is a feast for the eyes. This is the sort of movie that all of you should be watching instead of what ever crap fest Disney farts out.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Tron, mostly cause I wanted to watch the making of

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Dolemite is My Name

Just finished watching Eddie Murphy's Rudy Ray Moore biopic Dolemite Is My Name.

What a great movie.

People are saying this is Eddie Murphy's best in years but I personally think this is my favorite Eddie Murphy movie overall.
If you have a chance to watch the original Dolemite do so, it's a lot of fun. It even has more boom mic's in shot than Plan 9 From Outer Space.