Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVerse?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Godzilla 14 was pretty grounded. King of the Monsters slowly introduced more out there stuff like the Hollow Earth and a three headed alien dragon.

Should the MonsterVerse continue to swim into the deep end of the pool when it comes to Godzilla lore and borrow some of the more wacky stuff?

Do you want to see time travel, cyborgs and giant mech clones of Godzilla, humanoid aliens, flying saucers, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, black hole guns, singing, psychic powers, and magic? At what point, do you draw the line?
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by Gigantis »

Time travel and the black hole gun is a no. But I would be fine with everything else,especially the freeze ray since the maser cannons exist in the MonsterVerse.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Re: Time travel, Mechs, Xiliens from Planet X, laser beams, freeze ray cannons, magic - should they be in the MonsterVer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

tyrantgoji wrote:Time travel and the black hole gun is a no. But I would be fine with everything else,especially the freeze ray since the maser cannons exist in the MonsterVerse.
I don't remember masers being used. Was it a beam they actually shot at the monsters? Why didn't they use it on Rodan?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Master Doot
GPN Volunteer

Post by Master Doot »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Time travel and the black hole gun is a no. But I would be fine with everything else,especially the freeze ray since the maser cannons exist in the MonsterVerse.
I don't remember masers being used. Was it a beam they actually shot at the monsters? Why didn't they use it on Rodan?
They were shown when Godzilla approaches Castle Bravo.

Also, not sure if the same properties, we have those electric weapons that were used in Janjira to “kill” the male MUTO. So it does seem the Monsterverse has weaponized electricity to a degree.
Last edited by Master Doot on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcdrac
GPN Volunteer

Post by marcdrac »

I agree with you and I would add the magical theme.

In the list of topics should scientific experiments also have to be?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

marcdrac wrote:

I think magic can exist in this continuity. Didn't the KOTM novel hint at psychics being a thing?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Time travel - No.
Mechs - No.
Xiliens from Planet X - No.
Laser beams - Maybe.
Freeze ray cannons - No.
Black Hole Gun - No.
Magic - Inasmuch as it applies to directly to Mothra or some other overtly mystical monster.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Time travel - yes

That way they can reboot the universe and do everything correctly from the beginning
Yooo 8-)

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

No. :mrgreen:
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

marcdrac
GPN Volunteer

Post by marcdrac »

tyrantgoji wrote:
marcdrac wrote:

I think magic can exist in this continuity. Didn't the KOTM novel hint at psychics being a thing?
One thing is mental abilities (more like science fiction) and another thing is magic chant spells.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

More plausible but sci-fi weapons like the Super-X. I'm cool with that.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

magic, time travel, black hole gun and aliens - absolutely not
Last edited by Olzh26 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

i need muh godziller film to have realism

If this thread was made when G14 came out, I'd generally agree with what has been said, but pretty much post KOTM and the graphic novels the entire thing is crazy already.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr_Krenicboy
Samurai

Post by Mr_Krenicboy »

Mothra's Soul entering Goji & chirping= magic

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

To all those naysayers to time travel in the Monsterverse, you all know how horrible Avengers Endgame was right?

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

LegendZilla wrote:To all those naysayers to time travel in the Monsterverse, you all know how horrible Avengers Endgame was right?
Unironically, I do. Infinity War was much better and the whole time travel thing felt needlessly convoluted. Unpopular opinion, but I feel the time travel plot was just a glorified McGuffin hunt and reusing things from old movies in the name of "homages".

On-topic, Lasers, Freezing weapons and Mechs are an absolute yes for the MV. Cryogenic weapons would be well within the semi-realistic setting and logical progression. We already have Maser weapons so I say laser weapons might be a given at this point and Ice weapons would be undoubtably effective against certain titans. (Maybe if Destoroyah ever comes along, the humans would actually be a huge threat to him with freezing weapons like the Super-X3?) As for Mechs, we already have talk of a Mechanized Giant in KOTM's credits, so I say we're already getting mechs of some sort. We might even get Mechagodzilla! A heck yes from me on all of this!

The Xiliens or other hostile alien races is something I'd hold off on for now, but I wouldn't completely write them off either. If built up and pulled off well, it might make the Monsterverse more intriguing both longtime fans and the average moviegoer as well, but if it's botched, the cheese factor ruin the MV's progression. A careful yes from me.

Magic is something that should be done a little subtly as to keep the tone of the MV consistent. Limit all magical stuff to mystical Titans like Mothra and it should be fine. Also don't just go all out and keep it subtle like telepathic communication with the Chens, reviving people like Maddie, fusing with Godzilla etc. Don't go full Mothra Leo. Another careful yes, but don't go too far with this one.

Lastly, Time Travel is something that just goes a little too far for the current MV. I don't really see a way it can be pulled off without an extremely confusing plot like GvKG. Best to leave this one alone. A straight up no from me.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

On topic of having aliens in the Monsterverse, I suggested this before why not use the ancient astronauts theory. It would work well with the hollow earth idea. Plus, if they did that they bring mechs in, by having them be reverse engined from ancient alien technology.

As for time travel, I hope they never go near that. The last thing we need is more headaches, like the ones we got from Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

LegendZilla wrote:To all those naysayers to time travel in the Monsterverse, you all know how horrible Avengers Endgame was right?
According to Rotten Tomatoes, no people do not.

Anyway,
Spoiler:
given the history in the King of the Monsters film
, aliens seem possible. To have the Xiliens without buildup, however, seems a little early. Not yet on this one.

Time travel could be interesting, depending on how it's used. If used properly, it could be a good way to get kaiju from the past (Kumasogami, Gamera when he was first created, Grand King Ghidorah) into films. If not, this could make for a confusing tale. I give this a... maybe.

I thought the Oxygen Destroyer was advanced, but nowadays we have something similar so that's out the window. I used that as a reason for mech to be added, but now I think I'll just abstain.
Spoiler:
Apparently maser cannons exist in the movies (I saw both and never knew... shows how observant I am, huh?)
so laser beams are a definite yes. We have lasers in real life anyway, so using them in real life Isn't too much of a stretch.

I abstain from this one too simply because I wouldn't know how it works. Perhaps by using pure oxygen to create a mist-spraying weapon?
Spoiler:
With the ancient history thing, magic seems reasonable. It should be seen as a relic of the past that died out when the ancient civilizations like the one from "King of the Monsters" did and focus on science, though.
so yes, but not directly in the films.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I want Mechagodzilla. Period.

(If any of you give me some Godzilla vs Kong leak I will eat you. I'm going into that movie clean. Clean I tell you!)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I want Mechagodzilla. Period.

(If any of you give me some Godzilla vs Kong leak I will eat you. I'm going into that movie clean. Clean I tell you!)
Mechagodzilla would be amazing! In fact considering he's the only one of the big 5 who hasn't shown up yet,i'm sure he'll be around..eventually.