Scrapped monsters: who should get a second chance?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

Which scrapped monster should appear in the next era?

Bagan
27%
Ghost Godzilla
17%
Red Moon and Erabus
10%
Gryphon
12%
Majin Toul
4%
Mogu
6%
Deutalios
6%
Union Mechagodzilla
9%
Other (please specify )
9%

Total votes: 89

Gigantis
Sazer

Scrapped monsters: who should get a second chance?

Post by Gigantis »

For every Godzilla film that gets made,their is at least three early drafts that get left on the cutting room floor. Some of these drafts hols incredibly unique monsters that fans would kill for to get them a second chance. So who do you think should make it?

For me,I choose the Gryphon. I just like his incredibly unique design,origins and powers and I would LOVE for him to get into another film eventually.
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Re: Scrapped monsters: who should get a second chance?

Post by HillyHulk »

I was thinking Dogolas would be a good fit for a kaiju in the films. It looked a creature that would be in the shadows, pulling the strings to a major operation which would unique for a Godzilla kaiju since it's usually the smaller, humanoid aliens that would have that place. The only kaiju that had a kind of plan was Grand King Ghidorah when he brainwashed one of the Elias.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Baww, we can only pick 3 in the poll? :P From that selection, went with Bagan, Ghost Godzilla, and Red Moon & Erabus. Both Bagan's transforming self from the '80s and his super-celled self from the SNES game could be utilized to great effect in a movie, in particular the former since CG has come such a long way. It'd be much easier to do transformation transitions.

Likewise, Ghost Godzilla would be really fun to see in action. He has plenty of crazy abilities - again, CG would be very useful in this case - and it'd be great to see a "Godzilla vs. Godzilla" kind of match.

Lastly, the dynamic between Red Moon & Erabus is incredibly appealing to me. Two monsters of different origin becoming lovers and having a child, it'd still make for a very heartwarming (and heartbreaking) story.

Honorable mentions to: Union Mechagodzilla, while we have Super MG and Heisei Moguera, an actual combining MG consisting of 3+ parts would be pretty amazing to see fully realized; Berserk, something about a sentient metallic life form coming to Earth and taking the form of Godzilla is extremely interesting to me; Anguirus Hound, I hope subspecies like this are looked into in future installments; and Mothra 1990, if only to have a Mothra that can turn her abdomen into steel to reflect energy attacks/shrug off physical attacks, and for the much more flexible wings.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Ghost Godzilla: Granted we kind of got a modified form of it via the GMK Godzilla (powered by the souls of people who died via the war atrocities that the Imperial Japan military committed during WW2), but I'd like to see a proper version.

Bagan: Preferably the Super Godzilla kind. I'd really like to see him in a Godzilla movie, but with slightly different origins.

White Rodan: I'd like to see Rodan's wife, for the lack of a better word, come back and have her get the white form like she was supposed to get in the Heisei version of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Ghost Godzilla for sure. The whole premise is amazing with Godzilla's son being possessed by the ghost of the 54 Godzilla and the new Godzilla having to drive the demon out of his son....its Godzilla Meets Exorcist! I WANT IT!!!

This is near the top of my list of "Movies That Never Got Made But I Really Want To Have!", not just for Godzilla or kaiju, but just in general.

Other ones I'd like to have:

- Bagan, mainly the version that we see in Super Godzilla on SNES. To get all of those powers and abilities with that design would be something to see.
- Obsidian and Krystallak from Godzilla Unleashed. Yeah, lets get all the vidya game kaiju in a movie! I like the elemental aspect to both of these guys. A rock based magma monster and a crystal based one? Sounds good to me.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

Awww come on man you can't make me choose just three of them!

Ghost Godzilla: Yeah, we sorta got him in GMK and with Kiyru, but not the exact way. Both forms of Ghost Godzilla would do wonders for me if they were brought in.

Redmoon & Erabus & Hafun: I find the concept of a full kaiju family being entertaining and interesting. I can just imagine the cute shenanigans Hafun can get into, similar to Minya in Son of Godzilla. Their closest equivalent to being a Godzilla film was in M.U.T.O's.

Barubori: A mutating parasite creature that absorbs other creatures and transforms into them much like Carpenter's Thing? Hell yes! It could bring a newfound horror into the kaiju genre.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

My picks would be:
Bagan, his SuperGodzilla self specifically, complete with awesome theme
Deutalios: Love me some literal ratfish.
Barubaroi: He's a kaiju-sized version of The Thing, what's not to love?
Dogolas: An epic eldritch design. Would be nice to see him fully in action.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't really think any of them should. They were scrapped for a reason and I don't really have any desire to see any of them.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

None of them, honestly.

I'd rather see new directors and crews bring their own visions for new monsters. Instead of forcibly incorporating scrapped designs like it's Pokemon.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Deutalios for me. There aren't many mammalian kaiju, and it'd be nice to see giant rats make it into a Toho movie. Ideally, they'd be a 'species' of smallish, weak nuisance kaiju that appear periodically to wreak havoc and become target practice for stronger kaiju or superweapons.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

UltramanGoji wrote:I don't really think any of them should. They were scrapped for a reason and I don't really have any desire to see any of them.
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:None of them, honestly.

I'd rather see new directors and crews bring their own visions for new monsters. Instead of forcibly incorporating scrapped designs like it's Pokemon.
To be fair, if a movie had the right director and writers, I don't think that many fans would be complaining that many scrapped monsters-even if they were modified in some form-would be used instead of new ones, but rather welcome them with open arms.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Ghost Godzilla: Granted we kind of got a modified form of it via the GMK Godzilla (powered by the souls of people who died via the war atrocities that the Imperial Japan military committed during WW2), but I'd like to see a proper version.
Twice if you count Kiryu.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I don't really think any of them should. They were scrapped for a reason and I don't really have any desire to see any of them.
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:None of them, honestly.

To be fair, if a movie had the right director and writers, I don't think that many fans would be complaining that many scrapped monsters-even if they were modified in some form-would be used instead of new ones, but rather welcome them with open arms.
We're a very fringe part of the fanbase that constantly wonders about "What Ifs" and looks at missed opportunities, wanting them to be realized in finally.

But think of it from a thousand eye view. Outside our little bubble. Bagan may be a very limiting experience in the same way Mothra and King Ghidorah were for GMK.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Living Corpse wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Ghost Godzilla: Granted we kind of got a modified form of it via the GMK Godzilla (powered by the souls of people who died via the war atrocities that the Imperial Japan military committed during WW2), but I'd like to see a proper version.
Twice if you count Kiryu.
You're right. Kiryu does sort of count.
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:We're a very fringe part of the fanbase that constantly wonders about "What Ifs" and looks at missed opportunities, wanting them to be realized in finally.

But think of it from a thousand eye view. Outside our little bubble. Bagan may be a very limiting experience in the same way Mothra and King Ghidorah were for GMK.
Maybe with Bagan, but not with Rodan's mate. I don't think Godzilla fans or the GA would mind seeing her back via the scrapped White Rodan form. It can easily be explained away as a form of sexual dimorphism: Red and brown for males and while for females.