Giant Monster Movies in Development

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Giant Monster Movies in Development

Postby H-Man » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:55 am

So what giant monster movies are currently in development/production/post-production/pending distribution?

Anything else?

Please contribute and update as any of you find out about some project, big or small.

Development Hell
- Monsterpocalypse (dead?)
- Mega Shark vs. Moby Dick

In Production/Post-Production
- Aquatic Kaiju Yagon (2018/2019)
- 749 Bureau (2019 - sequel to PRC film Chronicles of Ghostly Tribe)
- Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
- Monster Hunter (2020)
- Jurassic World 3 (2021)
- Shin Ultraman (2021)

Pre-Production/In Talks
- Cloverfield 2
- The Meg 2: The Trench (in development--script stage?)
- Unknown World of Godzilla projects
- Ultraman Taiga movie
- Rampage 2
Last edited by H-Man on Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Giant Monster Movies in Development

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:37 am

Shin Ultraman (2021?)

Unknown World of Godzilla projects

Probably a Ultraman Taiga movie

Jurassic World 3 (2021, and I know its not GIANT giant but they're such monster movies I'll count it)

Also, I'm pretty sure Monsterpocalypse is basically dead at this point

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:50 am

We could still get a sequel to Rampage but knowing Johnson's schedule it might be awhile. Abrams is also said to be planning a proper sequel to Cloverfield.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Postby H-Man » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks. I'll keep the first post updated for easy browsing.

phantomsdaydreams
Yojimbo

Postby phantomsdaydreams » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:20 pm

Great thread! We should sticky this if we can. Anyway, the nice thing is that indie or other foreign monster movies fly under the radar, so we usually get one or two more than we anticipate (think Korea's 'Monstrum', China's 'Snake', or the indie 'Beyond White Space') I think we're going to have a bit of a dry spell after GvK releases though. THAT SAID, should we count the 'Monster Hunter' movie coming out next year too? Fits the bill, if not the mold.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Postby H-Man » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:44 am

phantomsdaydreams wrote:Great thread! We should sticky this if we can. Anyway, the nice thing is that indie or other foreign monster movies fly under the radar, so we usually get one or two more than we anticipate (think Korea's 'Monstrum', China's 'Snake', or the indie 'Beyond White Space') I think we're going to have a bit of a dry spell after GvK releases though. THAT SAID, should we count the 'Monster Hunter' movie coming out next year too? Fits the bill, if not the mold.

Thanks. I put Monster Hunter on the list. Monstrum and Beyond White Space are from last year, but thanks for mentioning them! Looking for more info about Snake.

phantomsdaydreams
Yojimbo

Postby phantomsdaydreams » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:23 am

Oh, I didn't mean to add them to this list, just mentioning that we usually get "surprise" releases too (visibilty-wise) for anyone disheartened by such a small list. =) The last couple years we've been spoiled. I hope there's at least a couple to look forward to each year from here on in...

One of the main things I enjoy is digging up all of the Kaiju media I possibly can. Indies, imports, non-franchise comics, etc. Mostly because I'm insatiable in my appetite for Kaiju stories. Heh I'm still trying to get my hands on copies of the following if anyone has any idea where to see and/or buy them:

- Aquatic Kaiju Yagon
- Headless K: Long Night of Spiritual Darkness
- Tetsudon: Kaiju Dream Match
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

OGMechaMothra
Samurai

Postby OGMechaMothra » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:07 pm

Don't forget Godzilla vs Wolfman which is in post production and last we heard to be released in 2020.

Venom
Ronin

Postby Venom » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:04 am

The future of the series and its forwarding developments are very conscious of the method of "shared universe". Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc. could all share a single world view much like a Marvel movie where Iron Man and the Hulk can crossover with each other.

It is said that each movie can be a possible film production where any one of them could lead a film of their own as the titular character.

Read more: https://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/to ... z63OV6Wi00

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 pm

I assume the Enormous won't be happening at this point.

OGMechaMothra wrote:Don't forget Godzilla vs Wolfman which is in post production and last we heard to be released in 2020.

One can only hope, but they've been working on that movie forever. Wish there'd have been some deal with Toho to have Toho "buy" the project and fund it to have it efficiently completed, give it a limited theatrical experience, and then to home media.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:45 pm

What's that new short or whatever where all the human characters are portrayed by puppets?
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Return to “Monster Manor”