The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Cookson
Futurian

Re: The Hong Kong/China feud and the repercussions for GvK/the Godzillaverse.

Post by Cookson »

Let’s hope GvsKong has no release issues in China. Needs that money from there to be successful.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

That's a legit concern but I don't think it'd be enough to actually destroy the movie itself let alone the Monsterverse since let's face it,bad critic reviews and such will likely do the job instead.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

kaijuguy19 wrote:That's a legit concern but I don't think it'd be enough to actually destroy the movie itself let alone the Monsterverse since let's face it,bad critic reviews and such will likely do the job instead.
Despite the fact both G14 AND Kong got pretty good reviews. This whole "critics hate Godzilla" thing needs to stop,this just getting stupid.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

tyrantgoji wrote:
kaijuguy19 wrote:That's a legit concern but I don't think it'd be enough to actually destroy the movie itself let alone the Monsterverse since let's face it,bad critic reviews and such will likely do the job instead.
Despite the fact both G14 AND Kong got pretty good reviews. This whole "critics hate Godzilla" thing needs to stop,this just getting stupid.
That wasn't really what I was leading into. I'm sorry if it came across as such. I was just explaining how the whole situation at China may not affect the movie too much to destroy the Monsterverse as a whole as how it doing poorly at the BO if that happens will do that instead.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

kaijuguy19 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
That wasn't really what I was leading into. I'm sorry if it came across as such. I was just explaining how the whole situation at China may not affect the movie too much to destroy the Monsterverse as a whole as how it doing poorly at the BO if that happens will do that instead.
I think you kinda underestimate how big China is to the movie market nowadays. Poor box office their means a pretty big blow to the studio even if the movie itself didn't really flop.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I don't see why the CCP would have a problem with this film coming. Theoretically, if it was shot in HK, then I'm sure it was subject to approval from the party. As long as the movie doesn't "violate" One China Policy, I don't see what would stop it from coming out.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

shadowgigan wrote:I don't see why the CCP would have a problem with this film coming. Theoretically, if it was shot in HK, then I'm sure it was subject to approval from the party. As long as the movie doesn't "violate" One China Policy, I don't see what would stop it from coming out.
I'm talking beyond that via boycotts against the actual movie, stuff like that.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

One has to wonder if there’s some kind of allegory going on with Kong and Godzilla. King Kong being Hong Kong, Godzilla being China. Godzilla steps on Kong’s toes, the two fight on the basis of Godzilla wanting to lord over the entire world and Kong just wanting to be left autonomous. We don’t know enough about the plot, but a team-up would indicate an ultimately pro-China message in this case. This is all so nebulous that it could just be a force of coincidence.
Last edited by LockBite on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Idk if you’re being sarcastic or not but seriously, I doubt it. Although the problem has existed for a while, the Hong Kong protests started in earnest earlier this year. Wasn’t this movie filming last year? The script was finished long, long before this became a big international issue.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LockBite wrote:One has to wonder if there’s some kind of allegory going on with Kong and Godzilla. King Kong being Hong Kong, Godzilla being China. Godzilla steps on Kong’s toes, the two fight on the basis of Godzilla wanting to lord over the entire world and Kong just wanting to be left autonomous. We don’t know enough about the plot, but a team-up would indicate an ultimately pro-China message in this case. This is all so nebulous that it could just be a force of coincidence.
Please say sike. There's absolutely no way Legendary could have predicted this to happen.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Imagine pre-emptively blaming civil unrest for the KotM sequel flopping.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Fish Cakes wrote:Imagine pre-emptively blaming civil unrest for the KotM sequel flopping.
Setting up the narrative for if/when the movie underperforms.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Why, just because the Chinese government is legitimately popping innocent heads left and right, and China is the #1 market for these films... Noooo, of course civil unrest won't put a dent in the film, how could it?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote:Why, just because the Chinese government is legitimately popping innocent heads left and right, and China is the #1 market for these films... Noooo, of course civil unrest won't put a dent in the film, how could it?
China has more than a billion people. Add to that the number of Americans that won’t know or care that Legendary is a Chinese-owned company and I’m not sure how the HK protests will greatly impact this movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Why, just because the Chinese government is legitimately popping innocent heads left and right, and China is the #1 market for these films... Noooo, of course civil unrest won't put a dent in the film, how could it?
China has more than a billion people. Add to that the number of Americans that won’t know or care that Legendary is a Chinese-owned company and I’m not sure how the HK protests will greatly impact this movie.
And as it stands now, the unrest is relegated only to Hong Kong, a relatively small populace.

I hope GVK does well, at least in the sense I hope it doesn't actively fail, but it's hilarious seeing JNAVS already make excuses should it not be a gigantic success.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: And as it stands now, the unrest is relegated only to Hong Kong, a relatively small populace.

I hope GVK does well, at least in the sense I hope it doesn't actively fail, but it's hilarious seeing JNAVS already make excuses should it not be a gigantic success.
Lmao I'm not making excuses, I just think it's a bit presumptuous to say "when this movie fails this'll be an excuse as to why", it's like trying to stomp a flame before there's even an ember.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: And as it stands now, the unrest is relegated only to Hong Kong, a relatively small populace.

Lmao I'm not making excuses, I just think it's a bit presumptuous to say "when this movie fails this'll be an excuse as to why", it's like trying to stomp a flame before there's even an ember.
No, we are saying that IF the film fails, or under performs, people will not blame the quality of the film, or the general disinterest towards the film on the film itself and rather complain about "the critics", "Disney", "stigma against Kaiju films", in the same way they do for KOTM. Just add this time,"It didn't meet our expectations because China has some current issues".
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

No, we are saying that IF the film fails, or under performs, people will not blame the quality of the film, or the general disinterest towards the film on the film itself and rather complain about "the critics", "Disney", "stigma against Kaiju films", in the same way they do for KOTM. Just add this time,"It didn't meet our expectations because China has some current issues".

Well at least that ones a logical reason. But if someone were to find out that China's issues weren't the cause the fandom would be looked at in a VERY negative light,others would think "using the deaths of innocence for an excuse of a movie flopping?! How terrible!"
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Terasawa wrote:China has more than a billion people. Add to that the number of Americans that won’t know or care that Legendary is a Chinese-owned company and I’m not sure how the HK protests will greatly impact this movie.
Because Chinese censorship boards can be fickle and a worsening of the situation in Hong Kong might cause them to reassess their stance on this film. Not to mention Legendary itself (or their Wanda financiers) might recut the film, alter the release date, or even pull it altogether (highly unlikely but not without precedent) should anything unexpected come up; many films had to be altered or were straight-up cancelled after 9/11.

No one’s trying to start a “preemptive narrative” blaming anyone should the film underperform; it’s just that in an unfortunate happenstance the filmmakers seem to have chosen to set a decent portion of the film in a city that has since once more become a major sticking point in Sino-Western relations, and that may very well have an impact on the film
Last edited by G2000 on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Unless the Hong Kong setting is used to promote democratic government then I’m not sure how that would negatively affect the film. For all we know, Chinese fans will want to see Hong Kong crushed in a monster battle.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.