Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
goji89
Sazer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by goji89 »

ROMG4 wrote:In the past two years since I left the site I feel I've drifted further and further away from the mentality of the mainstream Godzilla fanbase, especially this site

Granted this isn't anything new it's a major cause of why I left. That and the departures/banning of all the people I knew and the changing culture of the site

I've been lurking the past few months semi actively and I feel that divide has grown even larger. The discussion culture has changed and not for the better. Politics, weak discussion, and just I don't know

I don't know if anyone even remembers me especially since this is a new account. But I felt the need to say something
The days of old are sadly gone g2vd along with its members.........sadly I too will slip and.........but that's a forum....some move on. Do miss those days though.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

goji89 wrote:
ROMG4 wrote:In the past two years since I left the site I feel I've drifted further and further away from the mentality of the mainstream Godzilla fanbase, especially this site

Granted this isn't anything new it's a major cause of why I left. That and the departures/banning of all the people I knew and the changing culture of the site

I've been lurking the past few months semi actively and I feel that divide has grown even larger. The discussion culture has changed and not for the better. Politics, weak discussion, and just I don't know

I don't know if anyone even remembers me especially since this is a new account. But I felt the need to say something
The days of old are sadly gone g2vd along with its members.........sadly I too will slip and.........but that's a forum....some move on. Do miss those days though.
Goji! You remember me :D

Yeah I miss the old days all the great threads hilarious fights

Mr x. And his epic neca 85 photoshops, Legion79 and his great rants, soleman being weird, plain, Mkv that crazy mad man, Moguera14 the absolute LEGEND, starbird, and of course. Captain Akion and so many others I could never fit in here without it looking like a massive mess, lol

I miss those times a lot and the members that made them. Great to see your still here

Ah. Now to start plans to drop The Haunted Gigan Suit into the fanfiction section to celebrate Halloween and resurrect Godzillavsjason

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

ROMG4 wrote:
goji89 wrote:

Mr x. And his epic neca 85 photoshops, Legion79 and his great rants, soleman being weird, plain, Mkv that crazy mad man, Moguera14 the absolute LEGEND, starbird, and of course. Captain Akion and so many others I could never fit in here without it looking like a massive mess, lol

I miss those times a lot and the members that made them. Great to see your still here

Ah. Now to start plans to drop The Haunted Gigan Suit into the fanfiction section to celebrate Halloween and resurrect Godzillavsjason
Was this one of them?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I've totally embraced being a Godzilla-Otaku. My apartment is filled with vinyl figures and other related stuff. I slightly worry that it'll be an issue moving forward and dating people, but I assume it's better then having a big collection of hentai figures or other things. Plus, at least I have a lot of other hobbies like working out, reading and other things. I'm also pretty social and have a good job, so I can counter-act that "loser" stereotype.

I've just realized I really should be dating female Japanese Godzilla fans, and shouldn't settle for less, as unfortunately it's becoming a life style. As superficial and warped as this may sound, I'd take some (by other people's standards) not super attractive girl who likes Godzilla over all the attractive women I've been dating recently. I'd prefer someone that is super plain looking and likes Godzilla (or at least literature or art) over a lot of super attractive tokyo type women I saw on Saturday. To be clear, I'm not trying to be a "nice-guy" or complain about women here, I'm just saying I'm just embracing my life from here on out will be connected to Godzilla. I had a good time talking to this woman in Tokyo about how her favorite monster was Biollante over the weekend briefly, and just in that convo, I realized how it was good being able to relate to someone about that.

I'm not the type to insert Godzilla into every conversation and be annoying about it, but I just feel like a big part of my life is always missing, and now I realized it's just time to face the truth and embrace it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I've totally embraced being a Godzilla-Otaku. My apartment is filled with vinyl figures and other related stuff. I slightly worry that it'll be an issue moving forward and dating people, but I assume it's better then having a big collection of hentai figures or other things. Plus, at least I have a lot of other hobbies like working out, reading and other things. I'm also pretty social and have a good job, so I can counter-act that "loser" stereotype.

I've just realized I really should be dating female Japanese Godzilla fans, and shouldn't settle for less, as unfortunately it's becoming a life style. As superficial and warped as this may sound, I'd take some (by other people's standards) not super attractive girl who likes Godzilla over all the attractive women I've been dating recently. I'd prefer someone that is super plain looking and likes Godzilla (or at least literature or art) over a lot of super attractive tokyo type women I saw on Saturday. To be clear, I'm not trying to be a "nice-guy" or complain about women here, I'm just saying I'm just embracing my life from here on out will be connected to Godzilla. I had a good time talking to this woman in Tokyo about how her favorite monster was Biollante over the weekend briefly, and just in that convo, I realized how it was good being able to relate to someone about that.

I'm not the type to insert Godzilla into every conversation and be annoying about it, but I just feel like a big part of my life is always missing, and now I realized it's just time to face the truth and embrace it.
This probably means nothing to you, but I'm going on my first ever date Friday (I'm a Junior in Highschool) and she knows about my Godzilla obsession and massive figure collection. She thinks it's cute. I'm a happy camper.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

DirektorSplennic wrote:This probably means nothing to you, but I'm going on my first ever date Friday (I'm a Junior in Highschool) and she knows about my Godzilla obsession and massive figure collection. She thinks it's cute. I'm a happy camper.
Congrats! I hope it goes well!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I've totally embraced being a Godzilla-Otaku. My apartment is filled with vinyl figures and other related stuff. I slightly worry that it'll be an issue moving forward and dating people, but I assume it's better then having a big collection of hentai figures or other things. Plus, at least I have a lot of other hobbies like working out, reading and other things. I'm also pretty social and have a good job, so I can counter-act that "loser" stereotype.

This probably means nothing to you, but I'm going on my first ever date Friday (I'm a Junior in Highschool) and she knows about my Godzilla obsession and massive figure collection. She thinks it's cute. I'm a happy camper.
I think it naturally makes people happy to reveal something to someone and get along with someone that is accepting/appreciates something that is super close to them. Good luck with that!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Not that you need coaching from a Godzilla forum, but if I may, remember to be yourself. Hope you both have a good time!
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

eabaker wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:This probably means nothing to you, but I'm going on my first ever date Friday (I'm a Junior in Highschool) and she knows about my Godzilla obsession and massive figure collection. She thinks it's cute. I'm a happy camper.
Congrats! I hope it goes well!
Never have I recieved kinder words from you Mr. Baker. Thank you :D

Added in 43 seconds:
Damn ya'll are so nice. Wish we were always like this.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

ROMG4 wrote:
goji89 wrote:

I remember you ROMG4. Yes we've lost a lot of the greats. I don't post as much as I used to. A lot of the fun has gone out of this place
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Confession: I’m at a point where I don’t care if we get new Godzilla movies from Japan or the U.S. That’s not to say I won’t appreciate a good one when we get it, but I’m just way more interested in a portion of the older films and whatever golden age cinema I haven’t already seen.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:Confession: I’m at a point where I don’t care if we get new Godzilla movies from Japan or the U.S. That’s not to say I won’t appreciate a good one when we get it, but I’m just way more interested in a portion of the older films and whatever golden age cinema I haven’t already seen.
I think after Kong vs. Godzilla next year I'd be okay if there's never another American Godzilla film. I feel like Legendary got enough time to invent some new monsters, like the MUTOS (which have grown on me a lot) and things like Behemoth. They've gotten their chance to showcase big CGI versions of Ghidorah and Rodan, and while I don't love KOTM, I'm happy we got to see big budget CGI versions of those monsters. Kong vs. Godzilla will bring an event that otherwise would most likely never happen again. I'm satisfied with the Legendary/American side of things.

Agreed about being more interested in the older stuff. The entire past few months have been me watching old Toho flicks that I haven't seen, like the Human Vapor, Yamato Takeru and Nostradamus.

I do think this sentiment is really easy to say though when we have continually been fed Godzilla content since G14's release, and know we will continue to get more for the foreseeable future. People were super desperate in 2009ish.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: I do think this sentiment is really easy to say though when we have continually been fed Godzilla content since G14's release, and know we will continue to get more for the foreseeable future. People were super desperate in 2009ish.
Im glad you put this at the end because this is what I was going to say. I love the Showa stuff but there is only so many times I can watch Mothra vs Godzilla until the crave of new content sets in. At one point I had had enough Godzilla and I was looking for more Japanese films and that led me into discovering the awesome ghost films (Kwaidan & House in particular) and samurai films.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: This probably means nothing to you, but I'm going on my first ever date Friday (I'm a Junior in Highschool) and she knows about my Godzilla obsession and massive figure collection. She thinks it's cute. I'm a happy camper.
Don't be yourself....hide as much as you can. Make her pay for her lunch show her equality. Don't open doors for her and at the end of the date a nice firm handshake will do. Oh and spend as much time on your phone ignoring her.....girls love that.

Good luck.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote: This probably means nothing to you, but I'm going on my first ever date Friday (I'm a Junior in Highschool) and she knows about my Godzilla obsession and massive figure collection. She thinks it's cute. I'm a happy camper.
Don't be yourself....hide as much as you can. Make her pay for her lunch show her equality. Don't open doors for her and at the end of the date a nice firm handshake will do. Oh and spend as much time on your phone ignoring her.....girls love that.

Good luck.
Noted ;)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:Confession: I’m at a point where I don’t care if we get new Godzilla movies from Japan or the U.S. That’s not to say I won’t appreciate a good one when we get it, but I’m just way more interested in a portion of the older films and whatever golden age cinema I haven’t already seen.
I thought about this some more, and I realized that now, and while it's not exactly the same, this confession rings true:

I am no longer interested in "leaks" or "news" regarding upcoming Godzilla films, or the franchise in general, at least with specific details beyond Toho or someone confirming more films are in the works and tentative release dates. I don't care what rumored monster will appear etc...

However, reversely, I am way more interested in finding NEW INFORMATION, about older films. Like concept art, drafts of plots, etc...

I had this realization that new films/leaks are only temporary relevant, because they will either come true or not, and afterwards the leak will become irrelevant day one. However, new information uncovered will always be evergreen.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The fact that there might be a motherload of information available on films we've known and loved for decades hidden away just by way of a language barrier is exciting.

There's audio commentaries on practically all the Toho Blu-Rays that's been untranslated since their release. I'd love to eventually hear the stories told.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I had this realization that new films/leaks are only temporary relevant, because they will either come true or not, and afterwards the leak will become irrelevant day one. However, new information uncovered will always be evergreen.
That's a good point.

There's always information to be discovered about this films, whether you're looking for behind the scenes Japanese information or trying to put names to the mostly anonymous voices heard in various English versions.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I honestly don't feel any of Legendary's monsters have been used effectively enough within the franchise thus far. They really do hold back on them a lot and so far I feel as none have been used to their proper potential as of yet. I mean look at Rodan and Mothra in KotM, they barely got to do anything and kinda feel like afterthoughts. Even MV Ghidorah I felt got shafted in a lot of ways. We're told so much about what they can do and yet we barely get to see any of it. Its not a massive deal breaker but it is getting rather annoying.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I honestly don't feel any of Legendary's monsters have been used effectively enough within the franchise thus far. They really do hold back on them a lot and so far I feel as none have been used to their proper potential as of yet. I mean look at Rodan and Mothra in KotM, they barely got to do anything and kinda feel like afterthoughts. Even MV Ghidorah I felt got shafted in a lot of ways. We're told so much about what they can do and yet we barely get to see any of it. Its not a massive deal breaker but it is getting rather annoying.
I think the MUTOs were handled well in G14, just at the expense of Godzilla in that one:

We get to see the remains of what they did to Godzilla’s ancestor, and then while we don’t directly see the attack, the Muto attacks the Janjira outpost. We then get the big reveal scene, which is chaotic, but shows a good amount of the Male Muto’s size. Then we get some scenes in Hawaii of showing off the male Muto again and establishing its power and a few nice shots of it destroying stuff. After Godzilla scares the Male Muto away, we get the revelation of the female, who gets her own reveal with a brief destruction scene. We then see the results of her rampage, which while you wish you saw more it shows the threat. Then we get the scene with the female and Brody and the train, which while a little underwhelming is still unique. Then we get some scenes of the Mutos bonding and destroying shit before they fight Godzilla. While I don’t like how unnecessary it all is, Muto Prime is introduced in Aftershock, and KOTM has the next Muto.

Ghidorah was built up well, and beefed up, and still to me is one of the better incarnations, but it sucks that he never really destroys anything. Like we don’t get a few cut aways or shots of Ghidorah flying around city to city firing off his gravity beams. Rodan’s role in the film was fine, but he should have had a bit more to the scene where he destroys the village.

As for Mothra, I think the scene with her final form appearance really says a lot. The big beautiful wings open up, but we can’t just focus on them. We can’t focus on the whole moth coming out, and seeing the whole body. Then in the next scene with her, she’s a big glowing mass of nothing. Other then some brief cut aways of her flying during the climax, we never get any good glimpses of her.