The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:Well according to Freddie who knows more than you or I according to himself this isn't true.
Honestly, I just enjoyed listening to him cuss about Star Wars fanboys.

I care about reading the movies, each in its own context. That's it.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

eabaker wrote:
ROMG4 wrote:Ebaker my old friend please tell me the secret of how you like the movie. I need answers for 2 years I have tried and failed show me the way
I really wish I could help you out with this. It bums me out that there's this huge piece of Star Wars that so many fans find so utterly alienating. But... I don't know what to tell you. For me, it worked right from the first viewing.

I do recognize some structural problems (I think it drags most around the 1/3 mark), and there are some threads that don't really tie together properly (the resolution of the Rose/Finn stuff doesn't feel thematically supported by the rest of the movie), but the things that work for me - most notably the handling of Luke - just feel like authentic, new Star Wars in a way that nothing has (for me) since 1983.
I wish I could feel how you do about this movie.

I cannot tolerate the sheer amount of plot conviences, mishmash tone, lack of character development and relations, the complete slapstickification of the FO and so much more

And that's me being nice about it
Last edited by ROMG4 on Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://youtu.be/5vy7ZSaYWAo

You can ignore the people on the video if you want I was just linking an article I thought was intreasting.

Added in 6 days 1 hour 44 minutes 52 seconds:
An update from FPJ himself

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/10/ ... cs-dildos/

And for good news a fan is animating Heir to the Empire and has two chapters done.

https://youtu.be/dgRbUd9xil0
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Rise Of Skywalker is STILL being filmed.

I can't help but wonder if this will bomb like Fant4stic, JL, and all the other troubled movies that came out this year.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Rise Of Skywalker is STILL being filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnoGXxuZkzI

I can't help but wonder if this will bomb like Fant4stic, JL, and all the other troubled movies that came out this year.
A main Star Wars will never bomb. The worst this could do is.not hit 1 billion which would still hurt Disney.
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Still filming, huh? Won't be a bomb but such a troubled production will surely damage the film's image.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Rumors are they have 6 different endings.... An now currently 75% of the film has to be re-shot which is already in process of being done because it tested very poorly.

JJ told Disney this film will not please everyone and supposedly this did not make them happy and informed him to that simply can not be the case.

Also ''Rumor'' Rey by the end of the film will be able to not only raise the Death Star (which has been an ongoing rumor for a while now) but also raise the dead.

I am not sure any of this is true, they are also putting thought into making this into 2 FILMS, due to such much plot being shoved into 1 movie. The production for this movie sounds dreadful. We will find out with the new Trailer on Monday how this is looking but so far it's sounding like a disaster.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://youtu.be/ySenZtbDzTE

I hope this isn't true.

Added in 39 minutes 53 seconds:
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/10/ ... skywalker/

This trailer Monday will be intreasting.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

More excited than ever.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Score was good, seems like the leaks are true. Should be the most decent of the new films, since it looks to be its own new story now.

Really hope they did something with the ending, but I doubt it this far in the game.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Trailer didn't do a lot for me. Should have shown Palpatine.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

I think this film could use a few more ships.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

2004Zilla wrote:I think this film could use a few more ships.
I think the Deathstar in the water should reactivate so we can have our 4 Deathstars in the franchise and Shenron can grant them a wish.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Honestly, the film looks nice, but The Last Jedi fucked up the Disney trilogy so hard it's a little hard to even care anymore. I'm still going to see this in theaters, but I am way more excited for The Mandalorian over this.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

There’s just no coherent story here... plus Anakin needs to come back. Seriously the rewatch of these films are gonna be hard. Prophecy what?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Disney should have divided this like Dragonball

Episode 1-6 Skywalker saga

Episode 7-9 Rey Saga

To me trying to connect 1-6 to 7-9 is like trying to connect the Android/Cell saga to the Saiyan/Frieza saga. Yes it's the same characters and the same ongoing story but the Saiyan\Frieza saga is one coherent story and the Cell/Android saga is another. Yes it's a natural progression but the feel of the story is completely different.

Had Rey at least been Luke or even Leia's daughter at least you could argue then despite the different tone it was still the Skywalker saga.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

miguelnuva wrote:Disney should have divided this like Dragonball

Episode 7-9 Rey Saga

To me trying to connect 1-6 to 7-9 is like trying to connect the Android/Cell saga to the Saiyan/Frieza saga. Yes it's the same characters and the same ongoing story but the Saiyan\Frieza saga is one coherent story and the Cell/Android saga is another. Yes it's a natural progression but the feel of the story is completely different.

Had Rey at least been Luke or even Leia's daughter at least you could argue then despite the different tone it was still the Skywalker saga.
Yup this is the problem right here. The connection is terrible and suddenly Anakins prophecy means jack squat.

1-6 go together fine. 7-9 while are there, just doesn’t go with 1-6.

Honestly should have just started a whole new trilogy THOUSANDS of years after RotJ. At least there you could mention Luke, Anakin etc without losing anything those characters did. Brand new characters could be their own thing with actual new villains. 7-9 just spits at everything it’s unbelievable. How anyone will be able to actually sit through 1-9 without scratching their head would be amazing.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Cookson wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Disney should have divided this like Dragonball

Episode 7-9 Rey Saga

Yup this is the problem right here. The connection is terrible and suddenly Anakins prophecy means jack squat.

1-6 go together fine. 7-9 while are there, just doesn’t go with 1-6.

Honestly should have just started a whole new trilogy THOUSANDS of years after RotJ. At least there you could mention Luke, Anakin etc without losing anything those characters did. Brand new characters could be their own thing with actual new villains. 7-9 just spits at everything it’s unbelievable. How anyone will be able to actually sit through 1-9 without scratching their head would be amazing.
100%
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

miguelnuva wrote:Trailer didn't do a lot for me. Should have shown Palpatine.

This X 1,000,000! How do they NOT show Palpatine? It's not like we don't know what he looks like, and he looked like a 1,000 year old prune in ROTJ I doubt he could look that much different.

The cinematography was beautiful, the score was nice and I was so ready for the end shot with Palpatine which would have sold it but didn't happen so I felt underwhelmed. They should have showed his face laughing as he approached Rey that's all I wanted to see...

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Just noticed we still don't know a lot about the plot for this movie.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image