DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
17%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
48%

Total votes: 42

_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by _JNavs_ »

GoWhaleTours wrote:I really hope that a potential Mr. Freeze film would not be set in the Joker universe. Just sounds so stupid.
It depends how fantastical the director wants to go I feel like, because they could totally turn the story into something "realistic" and Joker-y.

Maybe have Freeze be a Cryo-Scientist who gets into contact with something on the job, grows into some sorta cancer, scientifically "freezing" his blood stream from the inside out. Perhaps he finds a temporary cure, but he unknowingly transfers his disease to his wife who later freezes into a comatose state overnight. Then have the third act be where he really becomes "Mr. Freeze", have him look blue and sickly from the final stages of the cancer because he spent all his time focusing on helping his wife, keep it a tragedy, maybe one of the reasons he wears the hazmat-style suits is because he doesn't want others to feel his suffering. By the end have his wife die, he survives but only because he's suddenly restrained by the cops moments before he could save his wife. Solidifying that hatred for the GCPD and just the law in general.

Include some "Gotham Medical treated me and my wife like shiit" political statements and some heavy performances to aim high.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

_JNavs_ wrote:I liked how in the script
Spoiler:
Arthur slices his mouth with a broken piece of glass, it would've really set in stone that this guy has lost all of his marbles and realizes nothing in the world matters. I know he realizes that anyway, but it would've been nice seeing some scarring done to him. Kinda like a love note to Heath Ledger, like "this was dedicated to you". Supposedly during the end scene he'd have stitches in his Glasgow smile and I think that would've been the perfect homage.

However the deadpan expressions he had during the Murray interview felt exactly like Joker, and if he had that permanent smile, it would've taken away from his subtle expressions
Maybe they're saving it for a sequel.
In response to your second point, I don’t think the Murray scene would have changed that much because IIRC that happens
Spoiler:
after the police car he’s in is rammed by the ambulance, and instead of painting a smile in blood like in the final version he carves his face with a piece of glass from the police car’s shattered windows
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think Lex and Penguin are the only films they should try like Joker not all of Batman's rogues need a solo film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Hasn’t Jonah Hill been cast for something
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'd love for them to make a dedicated Villain Universe with their DC Black label (Keep Batman over there too). Just a ton of Soon-To-Be Oscar Winners ready to push their acting chops to the limit. Pushes the genre further, in ways Normie Super films could never do.

Every film can have its villains' perspective on the heroes. Like Lex looking at Superman flying around with pure distaste, Joker looking at a Bat-psychopath who's into the theatrics, like him. Etc.

Then they can make their fun hokey "Comic booky" movies for the mass profit, while still keeping their respect as filmmakers.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Saw Joker tonight. I thought it was pretty great. I would honestly say that I think Joaquin deserves an Oscar nomination for the performance he gave, it was spectacular. Very twisted, sad, and disturbing. The whole film was pretty sad and disturbing, honestly. It's not a film I want to watch again for a very long time.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

miguelnuva wrote:
KManX89 wrote:Alas, Ryan from Screen Rant made a Joker Pitch Meeting vid (it was only a matter of time!):

watch?v=5raAm6ANIFg

But yeah, gotta love this whole "glorification of violence" spiel incels are spewing. Where was the outcry for the Saw movies glorifying torture and murder or Hannibal glorifying/encouraging cannibalism when that came out?
Saw and Hannibal wasn't release in a time where society was trying to make villians look cool or seem like the good guy. The Joker is a lot more popular than the two you mentioned and it's the same problem when people wanted a relationship like Joker and Harley because of Suicide squad and didn't understand Joker was highly abusive to her.
It didn't normalize murder or try to make Joker look like the good guy. Franklin Murray, the talk show host literally calls him awful FFS, yet the media wants to play up this narrative about how the movie "normalizes" murder. The Saw movies literally feature a murderer (and yes, Jigsaw IS a murderer) who puts people in traps where they're forced to badly mutilate themselves or die in extremely disgusting ways in order to "appreciate" life, which is a lot more "on the nose" than a mentally ill guy snapping and killing people after suffering abuse, yet not a single peep was made about how those movies "normalize" or "condone" murder from these people.

The outrage mob is so selective about what they get pissed about, and the best part about it is, it usually blows up in their face as it did this movie: $96 mil OW, baby.

The movie was fantastic BTW, I saw it opening night.
Last edited by KManX89 on Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Saw Joker. Really liked it. IIRC, this is the only DC movies I have ever seen in theaters outside of the Nolan trilogy. Still think Heath's Joker is better, but this one was good too.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Well, Joker is STILL smashing box office records, making $55 mil in its second weekend for a remarkable 42.8% drop and it's already made $544 mil WW in only its second weekend.

At the rate it's going, it could surpass Deadpool and maybe even crack $1 bil, and be the first R-rated film to do so (although Matrix Reloaded would have adjusted for inflation back in 2003).

Good, hopefully now Blumhouse will grow some balls and let Todd McFarlane make his Spawn reboot R-rated like he wants. And part of the reason for the holdup IS because Blumhouse wants a PG-13 Spawn movie, which is like trying to make a kid-friendly Pulp Fiction: it's just not gonna happen. If they seriously try to make another PG-13 Spawn movie, they're idiots, simple as that.

Maybe now that Joker is doing mad money while being R (and with various theaters posting signs saying it's not for kids to boot), they'll wise up and let it happen.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

KManX89 wrote:Well, Joker is STILL smashing box office records, making $55 mil in its second weekend for a remarkable 42.8% drop and it's already made $544 mil WW in only its second weekend.

At the rate it's going, it could surpass Deadpool and maybe even crack $1 bil, and be the first R-rated film to do so (although Matrix Reloaded would have adjusted for inflation back in 2003).

Good, hopefully now Blumhouse will grow some balls and let Todd McFarlane make his Spawn reboot R-rated like he wants. And part of the reason for the holdup IS because Blumhouse wants a PG-13 Spawn movie, which is like trying to make a kid-friendly Pulp Fiction: it's just not gonna happen. If they seriously try to make another PG-13 Spawn movie, they're idiots, simple as that.

Maybe now that Joker is doing mad money while being R (and with various theaters posting signs saying it's not for kids to boot), they'll wise up and let it happen.
What is with you and assuming that a movie being rated r is automatically gonna make it better?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:assuming that a movie being rated r is automatically gonna make it better?
Spawn needs to be R. That's just basics lol.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:assuming that a movie being rated r is automatically gonna make it better?
Well yeah i get Spawn but i swear Kman thinks almost everything needs to be r rated to be good. Venom 2 doesn't need to be r-rated to make Carnage menacing and scary.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That'd be absolutely insane if Joker is the movie to peak an R-Rated film at 1 Billion, he's shattering records, potential Oscar winner.

We have what Ledger's solo would've been right here boys, and I love it.

Added in 59 seconds:
tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Well yeah i get Spawn but i swear Kman thinks almost everything needs to be r rated to be good. Venom 2 doesn't need to be r-rated to make Carnage menacing and scary.
While that's true, I do feel like Carnage would need that rating to fulfill his character.

Added in 6 hours 18 minutes 4 seconds:
Can we talk about how terrible Margot's accent is in the intro of the BoP trailer?

"Ya eva heya of a Harla...Kwin befoh?

Maybe it's bc i live in NY, so i can tell, but man is it bad.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I've always disliked Margot Robbie's scene girl Harley Quinn and the accent is definitely one of the worst parts about it.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

It's been announced that Zoe Kravitz has been cast to play Catwoman in the upcoming Matt Reeves' THE BATMAN.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/35 ... es-batman/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The One and Only wrote:It's been announced that Zoe Kravitz has been cast to play Catwoman in the upcoming Matt Reeves' THE BATMAN.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/35 ... es-batman/
I like it.

Her step dad is Aquaman, so that's cool too. Guess Bruce is Arthurs son-in-law now huh?

This movie takes place in the 90s right? With a 20 something year old Batman and Catwoman? Y'all know this sets up Joaquin's Joker perfectly right?

Added in 3 days 23 hours 18 minutes 22 seconds:
Michael Giacchino will be composing the scores for 'The Batman'
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

YES.

Love Giacchino.

Also, Paul Dano has been cast as the Riddler

Added in 3 minutes 15 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Y'all know this sets up Joaquin's Joker perfectly right?'
Not happening mate.

I'd freaking love it but Joquain has gone on record MULTIPLE times saying while hes always loved the idea of a character study for a supervillain/superhero, the whole multi franchise deals have turned him off big time (see: him not taking Marvel's Dr. Strange offer).

The main reason he did Joker was its stand alone nature so its very unlikely as well as it lines up. Best we might get is an older actor playing a older Arthur.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:YES.

Love Giacchino.

Also, Paul Dano has been cast as the Riddler

Added in 3 minutes 15 seconds:
Not happening mate.

I'd freaking love it but Joquain has gone on record MULTIPLE times saying while hes always loved the idea of a character study for a supervillain/superhero, the whole multi franchise deals have turned him off big time (see: him not taking Marvel's Dr. Strange offer).

The main reason he did Joker was its stand alone nature so its very unlikely as well as it lines up. Best we might get is an older actor playing a older Arthur.
While this is true, he and Todd have both recently changed their minds on the situation (likely due to Joker's current run being close to 700 mill in it's third week) going as far as saying they'd love to continue Joker's story, because there are so many ways it could go.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Not happening mate.

While this is true, he and Todd have both recently changed their minds on the situation (likely due to Joker's current run being close to 700 mill in it's third week) going as far as saying they'd love to continue Joker's story, because there are so many ways it could go.[/quote]

No offense but that sounds more like "yeah, that's something that might be fun in the future" then "WE'RE TOTES DOING IT"

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Joker has just officially passed 737 Million, could we be seeing the first R rated film to crack a Bill?